Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

I talked with Ed Sexton from Revell at the Milwaukee NNL this past Saturday and he told me the kit will be out in November.

Jim Kampmann

Hopefully that means some shapes are being corrrected from the test shots.

Guys are getting too picky...Without sounding too smart a** why not go out and buy a real one if its not PERFECT...Its a model car. Things can't always be just like the

real thing. There is only one real thing, the 1:1 version. There are little flaws in all models..

Guys are getting too picky...Without sounding too smart a** why not go out and buy a real one if its not PERFECT...Its a model car. Things can't always be just like the

real thing. There is only one real thing, the 1:1 version. There are little flaws in all models..

I really dont care about the flaws, I was just asking , I have better things to worrie about in my life weather or not a kit is perfect

Martinfan5 My comment wasn't direct to you personally. I went to all who complained of little stuff...We should be lucky that they are trying to make another one better than

the last two abortions they had out. This one looks pretty close...

No worries, I really didnt think you were, I posted that so Brett would come and post what he did :P

My comment was aimed more at Revell then the builders, they cant seem to get stuff correct , and all it does is just cause people that take this hobby way to seriously to get bent out of shape over little things, not talking something big like wrong body proportions.

Keep nit picking about this kit and it might not even make it to production it is just a model kit not the real car.

You miss the point...would you prefer new kits have Palmer level quality? Revell needs to raise their game, take accuracy more seriously.

I honestly believe that all of us just want for Revell to succeed in spades with this release , hence the sincere criticism .

The prototype's lack of clear tail light lenses is just that : prototype . I'm just happy that Revell had at least something to share in respect to their progress .

Do I want for clear lenses ? Yes . Will the (potential) lack of them deter me from buying at *least* one when it's released ? No.

Now , a malproportioned body just might keep me from buying it ...

The prototype's lack of clear tail light lenses is just that : prototype . I'm just happy that Revell had at least something to share in respect to their progress .

Do I want for clear lenses ? Yes . Will the (potential) lack of them deter me from buying at *least* one when it's released ? No.

Now , a malproportioned body just might keep me from buying it ...

It's hard to know what or if anything will be changed from what we see in these test shot built ups. They appear to be the same models shown at the Toledo NNL in October 2012, so we probably won't see anything definite until the kit arrives in November.

Seriously, taillight lenses? That's what we've been reduced to? 13 pages on a kit that's still months away from production and we're gonna gripe over taillight lenses? Seriously, if they're clear folks'd be complaining about how hard it'd be to paint or foil the chrome surrounds, clear red they'd be complaining that the backup lens isn't clear. I think doing them chrome is genius, just flow a little clear red in there and Bob's your uncle, easy taillights, the chrome bezel is defined, add a little pearl white on the backup lens I think you'll end up with a great looking taillight. I think they found the best way to do it for this particular car.

Seriously, taillight lenses? That's what we've been reduced to? 13 pages on a kit that's still months away from production and we're gonna gripe over taillight lenses? Seriously, if they're clear folks'd be complaining about how hard it'd be to paint or foil the chrome surrounds, clear red they'd be complaining that the backup lens isn't clear. I think doing them chrome is genius, just flow a little clear red in there and Bob's your uncle, easy taillights, the chrome bezel is defined, add a little pearl white on the backup lens I think you'll end up with a great looking taillight. I think they found the best way to do it for this particular car.

Agree 100%....Lets get real here guys...

Not to mention the actual chrome bezel on a 1/1 is so thin,,,, IMO, I think it would be extremly difficult to replicate in 1/25th scale with anything other than to chrome the entire bezel and paint around it

DSC01026.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

Like I said, I think a chrome part is the way to go for this car. A little clear red and black, with a little pearl white on the backup lens. I think it's genius to do that part in chrome...

And I'm pretty sure the 70 AAR Cuda had them molded into the bumper/rear panel. It has been a long time since I've held one in my own hands, but that's how I remember it. So anyone that says "at least the AAR Cuda had separate lenses" I think is mistaken. But I could be wrong, as I said it has been a long time since I saw one. A long time and lots and lots of therapy sessions have passed since then... But sometimes, when I close my eyes at night, I still see the streched wheelbase and over exagerated haunches. And I hear the lamentations of the wimmin... And all those poor, poor kittens... My God, the kittens... #AARCudaPTSD

Like I said, I think a chrome part is the way to go for this car. A little clear red and black, with a little pearl white on the backup lens. I think it's genius to do that part in chrome...

And I'm pretty sure the 70 AAR Cuda had them molded into the bumper/rear panel. It has been a long time since I've held one in my own hands, but that's how I remember it. So anyone that says "at least the AAR Cuda had separate lenses" I think is mistaken. But I could be wrong, as I said it has been a long time since I saw one. A long time and lots and lots of therapy sessions have passed since then... But sometimes, when I close my eyes at night, I still see the streched wheelbase and over exagerated haunches. And I hear the lamentations of the wimmin... And all those poor, poor kittens... My God, the kittens... #AARCudaPTSD

My therapist contends that the Frankenstein 'Cuda had clear lenses , whereas the 1971 original had the chromed pieces .

My therapist is rarely wrong ... after all , she is my wife , too .

The kittens are just fine , by the way :D

I think the original Revell AAR Cuda kit is from the early 90's. The one based on the longer wheelbase Challenger chassis, photo of a real car on the box. I never bought the "improved" 2000's version, but I did give it a once-over a time or two (is that a "twice-over"?). I built the 90's one as a teen.

Edited by Brett Barrow

I have a sealed 1st issue with the orange cuda on the lid , but the only other one I have is the molded in purple later issue and it has chrome tail lights . I don't think I've ever had the AAR version in my hands. I used to have ( may still have it somewhere ) the black street machine version with the 2 scoop hood but I don't remember the tail lights it has/had.

I used to have ( may still have it somewhere ) the black street machine version with the 2 scoop hood but I don't remember the tail lights it has/had.

The Monogram 1/24 '71 kits all have solid, chrome-plated tail and backup light lenses with horizontal rib detail.

I don't recall what the 1/24 Revell AAR kits had, and to be honest, don't really care. Those kits should never see the light of day again, and hopefully Revell sees fit to backdate the interior tub to the correct Challenger T/A pattern.

70 and 71 'Cudas have different tail lights. The backup light is separate from the tail light on 71's, it's integrated on a '70.

Just so we're clear here, the Revell '70 AAR 'Cuda is not based on the Monogram '71 Hemi 'Cuda, it would have been a much better kit if it were. They used the Monogram '70 Challenger (which has a longer wheelbase) as the base for the '70 AAR 'Cuda, which is where the problems with that kit originate. Revell '70 AAR 'Cuda and Monogram '71 Hemi 'Cuda are much different animals. I think a few folks might be mixing them up.

I believe there were only two issues of the Revell '70 AAR 'Cuda - the original kit

129328-11013.jpg

And the "we only made it worse" improved kit of the late 2000's -

rv85-2875.jpg

Do not confuse with the ex-Monogram '71 Hemi 'Cuda, which is not that bad -

REV2943.jpg

1971_HemiCuda_Monogram_2292_24th.JPG

$(KGrHqR,!qgFD-+ZDuKdBRCdsTRj3g~~60_35.J

I'm sure that while I was busy tracking down these pics, 3 or 4 people probably already posted about how they're not the same kit...

A tale of two taillights... Well four taillights to be correct -

Original Revell AAR Cuda - pretty sure these were molded into the rear panel/bumper piece-

DSC_0011.jpg

New AAR Cuda - these were a clear part that fit into a shallow bucket in the rear panel -

finishcuda3-vi.jpg

Neither one of these is mine, I just found these using a Google search.

Edited by Brett Barrow

I have the second version. The tail lights and bezels are a single clear piece. you need to paint clear red, white, chrome, and black, per above photo. I can post a pic tomorrow or Saturday.

Edited by midnightprowler