Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jimmy Flintstone SD Vette

Rob McKee

To try something different I decided to try this Jimmy Flinstone resin kit. It is
to be used with the 68 Revell kit but I decided to go with the 69 Revell kit. They
are almost the same anyway so I don't see any issues with it.

Here are a couple of the starting point shots.

102_2909_zps1f48cfe5.jpg

102_2910_zpsc52cffe5.jpg

Looks like Jimmy Flintstone "borrowed" MPC's 1977 'Vette Van design and changed a few things (fender gills and roof shape) so he could call it his own.

If you happen to have any of the MPC C3 chassis, you might consider them as an alternative as they feature poseable front wheels and independent halfshafts on the IRS.

OTOH, by using this body, I can see you getting creative with unique headlight options and possibly some kind of specialty work on the "bread van" section, such as a tinted moon roof, or a swing-up rear window a la the AMT '55 Nomad.

Edited by Monty

Looks like Jimmy Flintstone "borrowed" MPC's 1977 'Vette Van design and changed a few things (fender gills and roof shape) so he could call it his own.

If you happen to have any of the MPC C3 chassis, you might consider them as an alternative as they feature poseable front wheels and independent halfshafts on the IRS.

OTOH, by using this body, I can see you getting creative with unique headlight options and possibly some kind of special feature on the "bread van" section, such as an opening rear door, a la the AMT '40 Ford Sedan Delivery.

I do have one MPC C3 Vette but I have it ear marked for another project Monty. Good idea though.

Well, after about 3 hours of sanding, grinding, and drilling I have the SD Vette

body almost ready to go. As expected, there is lots of flash to remove on the

body and I had to grind a big blob of resin out of the inside of the rear quarter

panel so the interior tub would fit properly.

I also had to drill the holes for the tail lights. I gotta say for as much work as

it was to get it to this point I had a fun time working on it.

Here is a quick little mockup at this stage. I still have to remove the flash from the

windows but following Scott's lead I think I'll leave them in place for now.

102_2911_zps8711b5f9.jpg

102_2912_zps2112d49f.jpg

I am trying to decide what to do for the headlights on the car. The car was molded without the pop up lights and I would

like to do something a little different with them. Maybe small rectangle lights in the opening?

We'll see.

Edited by Rob McKee

I do have one MPC C3 Vette but I have it ear marked for another project Monty. Good idea though.

I am trying to decide what to do for the headlights on the car. The car was molded without the pop up lights and I would

like to do something a little different with them. Maybe small rectangle lights in the opening?

We'll see.

That, or take a look at the box art for Revell's Greenwood Stars & Stripes Corvette:

http://www.shopping.com/Revell-Revell-1-25-John-Greenwood-Corvette-Coupe-Sebring-1971/info

(For some reason I can't post pics here anymore).

I thought the same Monty. I picked up the kit thinking I could use those headlights but guess what?

They are decals!! Decals that have duct tape to hold the clear plastic down. The Rebel racer is the

same.

I was thinking HID lights as Simon has suggested.

I built the 'Vette Van when I was about 10 years old, and gave it to a good friend of mine who'd recently been badly injured. No doubt I did it up like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, but I've never forgotten the kit and still think it's a pretty cool kit. One of these days I'll build it again.

Some small Cibie headlights would fit right in with the whole Corvette sedan delivery thing. I mean come on...they both scream 70's show car circuit. It'd be rad. Krass n' Bernie rad. :P

• 2 weeks later...