Model Cars Magazine Forum

There is no resin or plastic model of the current Caterpiller CT660. You "might" be able to make one if you can find a moder Paystar conversion kit. I wouldn't display it on the forum, though; unless you want the 800-lb Yellow Gorilla to come pounding on your door with a copyright infringement.

There is no resin or plastic model of the current Caterpiller CT660. You "might" be able to make one if you can find a moder Paystar conversion kit. I wouldn't display it on the forum, though; unless you want the 800-lb Yellow Gorilla to come pounding on your door with a copyright infringement.

I don't get that... CAT will not allow anyone do put their name on something that actually represents their product, but they'll lend their name for use on the WORST work boots money can possibly buy. :huh: Can't follow that logic at all.

I don't get that... CAT will not allow anyone do put their name on something that actually represents their product, but they'll lend their name for use on the WORST work boots money can possibly buy. :huh: Can't follow that logic at all.

This, ^^^ I can identify with. I used to bury phone and CATV cable for a living... That job will weed out a poorly made pair of boots in no time, flat! I thought, 'Hmm, CAT boots... These should be near bullet-proof!' I paid close to $120.00 for the pair and they fell apart within 2 months. In comparison, I could get 9 months from a $40.00 pair of Wolverine Marquettes...

Anywho... back on topic, I'd also recommend talking to Dave/ Cargostar about a starting place to do your own conversion. I think that'll be your best route. And, I think, (yes, that's gotten me in trouble before) if you build one for yourself and don't try to market it, that 800# yellow gorilla should leave you alone. Here's hoping, anyway!

• 4 weeks later...

if you build one i would be interested in seeing it, as long as there is a way to do it without getting in trouble. On a side note I dont see why some companies get so uptight about models, they are actually decient modeling. For me I fell inlove with model peterbilts first then the full size one.

I don't think you'll get into trouble replicating any Caterpillar or copyright protected product as long as you keep it for personal use only. You can even show it around if you want. You get into trouble as soon as you replicate their designs for business, be it a real truck, dozer or a model of these. People who replicate copyrighted designs have to be really careful when marketing these. Caterpillar seem to be a lot more self conscious about their name than their design though as AMT re-issued their Dozer without the Cat name anywhere on it. Same thing with Mack, the Italeri Superliner aka "American" Superliner has no nameplates at all. We could talk about Freightliner too. So that's why there are kits and trans-kits with no identification. We can figure out how to "correct" our own models though, can't we. Engineering and design of any product is called IP, intellectual property. These companies put a lot of money and energy in developing these products, so they want royalties if other companies use their designs. That is one reason why everybody is suing these days. By the way don't copy DVDs either... That's bad. ;o)

Build it, stick a Cummins in it and show CAT you just improved their design. :D

isn't that what kamotsu and kawasaki did with their heavy equipment?.the kawasaki loaders i haul have cummins engines in them. and from what i heard,kamotsu,(if i'm spelling that right) took a cat and copied it.i don't know how true that is but thats what i was told. and if it is i wonder if cat sued them.