Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 VW VAN (INSANE IN THE MEMBRAIN)

mikey

OMG, that's very kewl indeed!! Glad to see you on here Wayne. Big fan of your stuff after going through your FB pages and pix numerous times.

Mikey, you're going to add the splitty windows, right? It wouldn't be the same without them so I hope those are in your plans.

Edited by gasser59

after seeing this post, i went and googled all the large images of your vw i could find,i wouldnt step on mikeys toes, he started the build 1st, but i would really love to attempt to build this one too.

very cool dragster, and awesome that you joined the site and posted some great info.

Hi everyone , no problem in giving you info if it helps , here are a couple more pics , some of the writing in copper leaf , i didn't want it to be too perfect if that makes sense, i wanted it to look like it was done by hand - in my wonky hand writing ! oh there is a light purple (lilac?) pinstripe around the dark metal flake paneling that wasn't done when these pics were taken,

I've added a pic of the chassis too , all the notches on the tubes were done by hand ! there's a lot of them ,

The bus hasn't done a full pass yet as i started testing at the end of last season and the gearbox broke , (reverser gears fell apart)

The beginning of this year has been a nightmare as my Father became i'll and died so family became the priority ,

i have now renewed my race licence though and the gearbox parts should be with me next week so we should be doing a full pass soon ,

Here's a link to a vid of the very first time i drove it

Cheers

Wayne

post-8369-0-93626600-1311116525_thumb.jp

post-8369-0-47356200-1311116598_thumb.jp

post-8369-0-47579400-1311116648_thumb.jp

Edited by Dragsterbus

Wow i think it is awesome that Wanye has posted up pictures of one of the coolest drag cars i have ever seen.When i first saw it i knew this would be a great project.Since i didn't know what the frame looked like at the beginning and my VW boby was different i decided to do my version based on Wanye's bus.I'm calling it INSANE IN THE MEMBRAIN.

Edited by mikey

I cant wait to see a full run. I once saw a chopped bus with a mid engine blown motor take off through a parking lot at the Route 66 show in SanBerdooo It was insane. I have been collecting picts of this car so I can do my version some day and I just cant wait VDubs (of all kinds B) )Rule

You're welcome , no problem posting the pics, i'm a bit blown away that you guys are making models of my bus and i love any kind of creativity , just for fun i'm posting a video of a car i chopped around ,it's a time lapse video and i took the photo's over a 3 month period , hope you enjoy it !

Wayne - oh look out for the grinders!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obJspWfEttc

just for fun i'm posting a video of a car i chopped around ,it's a time lapse video and i took the photo's over a 3 month period , hope you enjoy it !

Great video! What's that car? Didn't get it, but great work with that car! :lol:

Hi everyone , I was sent a link to this thread and all i can say is wow ! I'm flattered that people like my bus enough to take the time to build models of it ! Thank you,

I thought i'd share some info just in case it helps ,

The chassis is a one off chrome moly chassis built to sfi specs by me specifically for the split ,it's legal 6.29 seconds and quicker , it is not a modified chassis from a dragster , there are pictures of the bare chassis on facebook , just look up 'The Intergalactic Custom Shop' , there are also pics of the aluminium paneling which is diamond patterned.

The wheelbase has been stretched from roughly 94 inches to 135 inches and the roof is chopped 8" , the cab is a stretched single cab pick up and the rear bed is scratch built, The Hemi in the model is correct and the injector is pretty close too, mine has a three speed lenco transmission , top fuel cars are direct drive so the trans from that model might be a bit short ,the wheels and tyres are correct from the fuel kit as mine is on 16x16" american racing trackstar pro series at the rear with 36x17.5x16 goodyear eagle slicks , the fronts are American racing torq thrust pro series, the paint is House of kolor kandy over silver metalflake (pagan gold and purple) and fat white borders ,the lettering is varigated copper leaf and the seat is gold metalflake diamond pleated vinyl.

I will be running it in a couple of classes and will do a bit of demo stuff too .

Thanks again for the interest in the splitty .

Hope some of this info is of use ,

Cheers

Wayne

I was having good look around your bus at the Autosport show earlier this year as it was across the hall from our top fuel dragster.

I thought it was the rear end from a TM Dragster going by the single element wing etc but i now stand corrected, Didnt get a chance to speak to you at the show.

Like the work you have done on the red victor 3 body mold, Cant wait to see this car run once andy as got it all sorted.

• 2 weeks later...