Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Comet Competition Sedan

I am going to try an make a model of my race car.

The real car is a 65 Comet 202 two door post.

I cut the floor out of the car just in front of the rear wheel wells and then cut 7" out of the middle.

I welded that back together down the middle and then welded it back in the car with patch panels on each side.

It has a ladder bar rear suspension with a 9" and a stock front susspension with added disc brakes.

The engine is a 302 and the transmission is a C4.

Since no one makes a Comet sedan any more (checked) I had to start with a hardtop.

This is a resin body from Model Car World. Its a good but not great casting.

I am using the top from a Thunder Bolt kit as a donor for the C pilars and top shape.

The rest will be from the parts box and scratch.

Here are some pictures of the real car and what I have so far on the model.

HPIM0018.jpg

DSC02714.jpg

DSC02872.jpg

DSC03118-1.jpg

DSC04229.jpg

DSC04228.jpg

DSC04227.jpg

IMG-20110706-00002.jpg

post-2198-12706985138144.jpg

post-2198-12744152436048.jpg

Love your drag car Mitch! Can't wait to see your model too. BTW, what did you name your car? Can't see it clearly in the photo in your avatar.

Love your drag car Mitch! Can't wait to see your model too. BTW, what did you name your car? Can't see it clearly in the photo in your avatar.

Thanks Roger. I went with a pretty unoriginal name... "Mitch's Comet".

Before I had it painted and put the trim back on I had a guy ask me why I put a Ford engine in an old Nova...?

Hopefully the name will help clue in people as to what kind of car it is.

Edited by seveeRRacing

Mitch, your doin a GREAT job. I have two resin 65's one from Perry's Resins and one from R&R Both are pretty nicely done too. I have a 67 Comet 202 that I got from Motor City Resin Casters, VERY nicely cast, but YOU gonna be the ONLY kid on the block with a 65!!! You did a VERY NICE job with your conversion. It came out lookin REAL good. This is gonna be a COOL build up. I like the idea of you havin a model of your REAL race car!!!:(:o:);)

Your car looks good! Great Drag Racer. Model is looking good too, I like what you did for the roof. Going to be real nice build. What's the best ET with that Comet? Anyway, interesting project you got going, keep it up.

Your car looks good! Great Drag Racer. Model is looking good too, I like what you did for the roof. Going to be real nice build. What's the best ET with that Comet? Anyway, interesting project you got going, keep it up.

I have raced a lot of cars over the years Nikko but this is my first purpose built car with real slicks. We blew the transmission up on the maiden voyage and thats why I am working on the model. My dad, son and I race for fun not seriously so its going to take few weeks to save up and buy the necessary racing quality transmission parts. So again that's why I am working on the model right now. We think the car will run in the low 12s I hope to touch the 11s. Its just a 302 with no power adders. Here are some pictures of the carnage from the first outing. More pics of the model to come.

(I have all the damage repaired we just need to build the stronger transmission and get a racing drive shaft)

DSC04257.jpg

DSC04256.jpg

DSC04265.jpg

DSC04260.jpg

DSC04255.jpg

Edited by Reeves Racing

OUCH! I feel for ya Mitch, been there, done that except with 4 speeds. I'll bet it'll be alot easier & cheaper to put the model together than the real thing. Although probably not as much fun, can't drive the model.

Marty