Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush sputtering problem

Hey guys, I have a Badger 200 single action brush that I got new. I have been using it for about 6 months and it has always had a small sputtering problem. Over the months I have tried different things to stop it and haven't found a solution, so I was wondering if anyone had something else to try. Here is the list of what I have done:

1. Used telon tape on all of the fittings in order to seal them

2. messed with air pressure and paint consistancy

3. pulled the brush apart and cleaned it after EVERY use

I use a large compressor for my painting so is it possible that it may have a leak in one of its lines? Not sure what else to try so any other options would be greatly appreciated.

No, I don't believe it is water since I am getting a few paint spots when it sputters. I got the compresser from a friend and it has a water trap, but I am not sure how well it works. I also live in an area where the humidity is very low, if that would help in finding an answer. If I can't figure it out, I guess a new water trap is next on the list.

While you did your cleaning, did you use a brush/Pipe cleaner pushed into the opening in front, causing the Teflon bushing to move or become damaged? As I did with mine, which caused a spitting /sputtering problem .That was rectified at the factory, from a trained technician at absolutely no cost to Me.

No, I don't believe it is water since I am getting a few paint spots when it sputters. I got the compresser from a friend and it has a water trap, but I am not sure how well it works. I also live in an area where the humidity is very low, if that would help in finding an answer. If I can't figure it out, I guess a new water trap is next on the list.

If you are only getting spots of paint then your gun is stopped up

CadillacPat

Paint might to be thinned more, or pressure turned up. What brand of paint are you using? I've got a 200, and I find I have to get the paint/thnner/pressure just right to get a smooth paint job.

Had a Binks Wren, with that thing all I had to do was get in the ballpark and it layed down great paint.

Guest G Holding

Spray thinner through it onto a large cardboard box. Does it sputter ? if it does, you have a leak or something plugged up or damaged. If it sprays a round pattern evenly misted then its your mix.

How much pressure ? I routinely spray at 22psi with paint thinned to "milk like" with all my Badgers I have sprayed higher, but never lower. Paint a bit thick, with low pressure can cause sputtering a plugged vent hole in the lid can cause erattic spray

Thank you guys very much for your help so far. It will sputter just the same when spraying straight thinner, which leads me to believe something must be clogged. It has been doing this since new, so is it possible one of the air ports is plugged up? If so, what is a foolproof way to clear them? I always shoot thinner through after a paint session, so should I be spraying at a higher pressure, say 30-40 psi?

Guest G Holding

Thank you guys very much for your help so far. It will sputter just the same when spraying straight thinner, which leads me to believe something must be clogged. It has been doing this since new, so is it possible one of the air ports is plugged up? If so, what is a foolproof way to clear them? I always shoot thinner through after a paint session, so should I be spraying at a higher pressure, say 30-40 psi?

Another possibility, if you own a Badger 100 or 200 airbrush, is that the Teflon washer that goes between the head and body of the airbrush has gotten worn or flattened. This happens over time and when it does the airflow will start to pulsate. The only way to resolve the problem is to replace the washer (the Badger part number is 50-055 and they usually cost around $2). You can help prevent the problem if you loosen the head of your airbrush before storing it. This is mentioned in the instructions for the Badger 200 but I don't recall seeing it in the instructions for the 100

Found this passage here :

http://www.craigcentral.com/models/trouble.asp

Sputtering and pulsating are different, but this might be your issue...worth a check.

Thanks, I am starting to think it may be the o-ring inside then. I would hate to have to send the brush off to have it replaced, but if nothing else works I guess that is the only option. Thank you guys very much for your help, it is much appreciated.

Hey Josh.... I recently had this same problem with my Badger Model 200 which I have had for 20 years. It is my favorite airbrush that I have. Mine would Sputter when I would first start shooting. I clean it multiple times and still did the same thing. After trying to get it to work and nothing changed when I cleaned it every possible way I ended up sending it into badger they fixed it and I can tell you that it was the seal inside of the air brush because now when I screw the needle in and out it is very tight. Go to badgers website and you can get their address and all they charge you for is the shipping it is like 8 or 10 bucks and they fix and replace it at no other charge. they even changed out the tip of my airbrush because it had an older style type and came back with a new one..lol