Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1973 Chevy Custom Van - Dirty Donny VANTASY

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All the Vantasy kit needs to build a stock panel van are two stock seats and a set of stock (non hi performance) tires. The open steelie wheels and dog dish hubcaps are in the kit. Maybe one of our resident resin casters might consider doing a set of those stock seats...!

All the Vantasy kit needs to build a stock panel van are two stock seats and a set of stock (non hi performance) tires.

..and some porthole window filler pieces, and you'll need to add the roof ribs. The smooth roof not only sticks out like a sore thumb, but would be near-impossible even on a 1:1 van, short of getting out the English roller and creating an all new roof panel. You would be better off using the separate roof piece from Revell's 1/25 scale kit, and extending it to match the AMT kit's long wheelbase, if you want to make an accurate stock van out of the AMT kit.

The portholes are not cut open in this issue.

Oops, you're correct. It looks like the AMT kit suffers from the same lack of roof overhang at the front issue the Monogram Chevy van does, but the Revell roof would fix that. ;)

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Thanks for the posts guys, I've just got this kit as a Christmas present and have a had a good read through this thread. Was thinking of painting it candy green to go with the green decals until I saw the post about the decals and was reassured when I saw the corrected version. I then checked the ones in my kit and they are the incorrect version - so I haved decided to go with candy purple to save the hassle of ordering new decals. Painting the model green and then finding the decals to be incorrect would have been really frustrating.

Its at times like this that one really appreciates these forums where people put up their findings/views about kits!

Cheers,

Jim

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Bringing this back from the nearly dead....

If I were to attempt to add the roof ribs to the AMT Vantasy kit, what size of half-round do you think I should use? I'm thinking I can add some Plastruct 1/2 round strips to replicate the missing ribbing on the roof. Any thoughts?

thanks!

Bringing this back from the nearly dead....

If I were to attempt to add the roof ribs to the AMT Vantasy kit, what size of half-round do you think I should use? I'm thinking I can add some Plastruct 1/2 round strips to replicate the missing ribbing on the roof. Any thoughts?

I would use rectangular strip, with the two long edges/corners rounded over slightly after they've been glued in place. I'll see if I have any close-up pics of the roof ribs, but going by what I remember from looking over a '71, the ribs are more like a flattened half-hex shape, if that makes any sense. Upside down, but like this---> \___/

chevy_van_2012_03.jpg

That makes sense. What size do you think I'd need in 1/25? I suppose I'd use the square stuff...?

I know at least one member has a G-series van and might he/she or anyone else who owns one might be willing to measure the ribs for you. I would use rectangular styrene strip, though, not square.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/2/2012 at 12:12 AM, Edsel-Dan said:

Correct. ALL of the AMT Chevy/GM van kits are the same tooling set!

I'm not so sure about that. Looking at the 1983 AMT/Ertl reissue and the 2002 RC2-era AMT/Ertl reissue, the roof ribs are still present.

Here are all the AMT kits containing the 1/25 Chevy (and the lone A-Team GMC) Van I could find. I can't say for sure if the kits were issued in chronological order by kit number or not, though: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/885/25-amt-chevy-van-retrospective

Edited by Casey

Didn't the first issue or two have an opening hood and side windows w/ inserts for the solid sides (the Open Road version had windows).     

I think the Kandy-Van, Nirvana, Xtasy, Sun Chaser, Foxy Box and Kiss van came later than the Open Road, Police, Rescue and other early versions...those customs are in the AMT catalog in '79, and I built the Kandy-Van as a kid in 78 or 79...

Edited by Rob Hall