Model Cars Magazine Forum

"General Lee" Questions

As an aside, 68 and earlier 440's were turquoise too.

For example, a 68 GTX had either a Hemi or a 440 for engine options, the 440 was blue.

They also went back to blue on the 440's (and 400's) in the later 70's.

My 77 Monaco ex-CHP 440 car had a blue engine.

I've seen factory 383 4 bbls with blue paint as well.

• 1 month later...

If you want really good information DANNO is the on to ask. :lol:

Seriously, I've pondered the premiss of the car in the show. Have you looked into what the story line says ? Supposedly the car is an ex-race car (NASCAR, local dirt tracker, they don't say). Whats up with the push bar? The Revell / Monogram kit is definitely the way to go, but now you have to round up some bits and pieces, decals,push bar, wheels, etc.

Here's another one for you, headers,I don't think I've ever seen or heard mention of them in the show or on the car. :o

they say in the original series they heard about it as it was a black car that jewel theifs had and when the theifs were cought it went to a junkyard and the dukes had a race engine so they bought the car and towed it home using cooters wrecker

The push bar was used on the old dirt tracks back in the for when the stock cars would bump into the other racer in front. The car according to season seven episode 1 which is Happy Birthday General Lee. The is really a stolen vehicle that two bank rubbers took to flee the police. After getting over into the next county and hiding gold dust up under the dash and then getting back on there way. A cop decided to side swipe them off the road and down into a ditch bring the charger to complete stop and wrecking the front end and putting a dent in the driver side door. The rubbers was taken to jail while the car to the story line was taken to the junkyard and drop/sold off. As the wrecker was leaving, the Duke cousins Bo and Luke Duke pulled into the parking spot with Cooters tow truck looking for a car to put there motor into for a race they had coming up that following weekend. The charger was a black exterior one with a tan interior.

But now the thing is, the push bars design changed during the series for a reason. Small push bar was damaging the grills on the cars and also lower val panel. Wide one didn't do any damage to the car parts and was actually functional too.

If your looking for General Lee items in 1/24 scale, shoot me a PM as I make all the items needed right down to the dixie horns.

Just out of interest Jim,what parts do you make,to make the kit car into a true copy of the real car?

And are the wheels in the kit,the right style to the real car.

As I've seen similar wheels on corvette models and a revell panel van that look similar to the kits wheels.

Sorry james for hijacking your thread.

Rich