Model Cars Magazine Forum

I know of one all new model kit to be introduced- The TUCKER

I would purchase an entire CASE of these if they were ever kitted in plastic. I think that the Tucker Torpedo is a beautiful automobile! It's a crying shame that the 'Big 3" gave him such a hard time... I would have liked to see where the Tucker line eventually went with the many inovations that were being thought up at the time...

I would purchase an entire CASE of these if they were ever kitted in plastic. I think that the Tucker Torpedo is a beautiful automobile! It's a crying shame that the 'Big 3" gave him such a hard time... I would have liked to see where the Tucker line eventually went with the many inovations that were being thought up at the time...

Like several other guys have commented on prior comments: X2!

"Tucker: how the "Big Three" worked with the government to screw him over, etc.

This sure sounds familiar.

The Government and Automakers working together to screw over people.

What a shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tucker was a beautifully crafted Car way ahead of its time.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

It seems that if I want a new kit tooled all I have to do is spend big bucks for a resin kit or do a scrach build / conversion. In the last few years I have bought resin kits of a 72 Olds Cutlass Convertable, a 50 Olds, a 55 Chrysler 300, a 53 Hudson, a 57 Chevy 150 sedan, converted a 57 Chevy Belair hardtop into a sedan, And a Modelhaus Tucker.

Edited by Craig Irwin

It seems that if I want a new kit tooled all I have to do is spend big bucks for a resin kit or do a scrach build / conversion. In the last few years I have bought resin kits of a 72 Olds Cutlass Convertable, a 50 Olds, a 55 Chrysler 300, a 53 Hudson, a 57 Chevy 150 sedan, converted a 57 Chevy Belair hardtop into a sedan, And a Modelhaus Tucker.

Thanks, Craig! B):lol:

By the way, if there are any of you out there who have never seen the movie "Tucker: A Man and His Dream," do yourself a favor and see it! On demand, pay-per-view, Netflix, Hulu, whatever... just watch it! Jeff Bridges played Preston Tucker and Francis Ford Coppola directed. It's a great movie and tells you all the stuff regarding the Tucker and the background behind it, how Preston Tucker sold the idea to investors, how the "Big Three" worked with the government to screw him over, etc. A fascinating movie, even if you're not into Tuckers.

That was the last movie I saw. Like you say, it was great and showed how he got screwed by the big three.

I have the Modelhaus and Mint 1/24 Tuckers. I have put it on a number of suggestions lists. But every person in the industry says the subject is too narrow for a plastic kit today. I've even suggested the NASCAR version along with a custom version to utilize the tool enough to pay for itself. And every time I get told it would never work. I still don't agree....but those with the $$$ say no...so don't hold your breath or bet the farm....etc!!

I have the Modelhaus and Mint 1/24 Tuckers. I have put it on a number of suggestions lists. But every person in the industry says the subject is too narrow for a plastic kit today. I've even suggested the NASCAR version along with a custom version to utilize the tool enough to pay for itself. And every time I get told it would never work. I still don't agree....but those with the $$$ say no...so don't hold your breath or bet the farm....etc!!

But... Craig bought a resin Tucker! So there will be a plastic kit. :D

Sometimes model manufacturers wait too long on some subjects. When there are multiple versions of a subject in other mediums - resin and diecast, for example, they may have missed the boat. It is better to be the first, as if other companies see possibilities, the piece of pie becomes much smaller. When a market is flooded, the pie is gone quickly.

I know it's 50/50 on the looks of a Tucker abd most have never seen a real one except for pictures. Before the big "C" got me and turned my body into a barn find, I was a cross country trucker and there is a little place in Murdo, South Dakota called the murdo auto museum, he may sold it by now, but in 2005 Tuckers wife lent them one to display very differant car but in person very cool looking, they also a has Ellenor and an original cbs General Lee(318 ick.) along with 5 acres of most of our dream cars in barns that looked as they were never driven, if they're sgtill there and you ever happen across I-90 in S.D

x106 or so.. it's worth the 6$. thx

Guest Johnny

I know it's 50/50 on the looks of a Tucker abd most have never seen a real one except for pictures. Before the big "C" got me and turned my body into a barn find, I was a cross country trucker and there is a little place in Murdo, South Dakota called the murdo auto museum, he may sold it by now, but in 2005 Tuckers wife lent them one to display very differant car but in person very cool looking, they also a has Ellenor and an original cbs General Lee(318 ick.) along with 5 acres of most of our dream cars in barns that looked as they were never driven, if they're sgtill there and you ever happen across I-90 in S.D

x106 or so.. it's worth the 6$. thx

Couldn't have. Vera died in 1956!

Guest Johnny

Preston Tucker died in 1956. Vera Tucker died in 1993.

My bad you are correct (I knew that, it's right here in front of me on the desk :lol: ) but she still could not have lent one to them in 2005!

But one of the owners may have put theirs on display, although it would be a rare thing for one to do.

So why is it economically viable to tool up & produce a die cast Tucker but not a plastic kit?

Is it simply the retail price is so much higher or that they will sell more?