Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1955 Chevy Belair Hardtop - Test Shot Pics & Review

The hardtop was previously packaged as a Revell kit

The convertible was labeled "Monogram" but from the 90's "Revell- Monogram" era- The Pace Car version of the kit was sold as "Revell-Monogram"

The "Real" Monogram kit referred to in the original post was the 1/24 street machine/Badman tool (which was recently sold as a "Streetburners" Revell kit :lol:)

....Not to be confused with the "classic" Revell opening everything '55 hardtop and its "Hot Rod" reissues

Edited by ChrisPflug

Does this kit also share some of its parts with the '56 Nomad and Belair, and the new spate of Revell '57 Chevy kits?

Yes sir, they all share basic tooling.

I have a question regarding this kit though. Every build-up I've seen on this forum of this car, the chrome strips that run along the front fenders is not there. It's not there on the box-art either. What gives?

The builders didn't paint or foil that trim, apparently. It's not a separate piece like the rear quarter trim. Some of the Revell pics for this kit do show it painted (like the red and white one w/ the custom wheels).

Chuck, My brother in law once had a 56 chevy with a 55 'glass flip front end on it. The lines flowed perfectly and it made quite a few folks confused. But you could see the family resemblance in the body lines. It looked cool too!!!!:D;):blink:;)

I went to Northern Arizona University in the late sixties. Walking to class one day I passed a '55. On the way back to the dorm I passed a '56, same color, same model. This went on for a few days till I figured it out,"55 up front,'56 out back.Doesn't take a college kid long to figure these things out,but hey, tri-fives all shared the same center body section.Well, except for the cabin air intake on the '57.

Edited by Greg Myers

I went to Northern Arizona University in the late sixties. Walking to class one day I passed a '55. On the way back to the dorm I passed a '56, same color, same model. This went on for a few days till I figured it out,"55 up front,'56 out back.Doesn't take a college kid long to figure these things out,but hey, tri-fives all shared the same center body section.Well, except for the cabin air intake on the '57.

Actually the '57 bodies were one inch shorter at the cowl in height, that is why they moved the air inlet for the vents to the front headlight eybrows, there wasn't enough room in the cowl for the vents,& the wiper drives. :)

Actually the '57 bodies were one inch shorter at the cowl in height, that is why they moved the air inlet for the vents to the front headlight eybrows, there wasn't enough room in the cowl for the vents,& the wiper drives. B)

I think the '57 windshields are different from '55-56 because of this..the cowl looks flatter on the '57, at least w/ the Revell kit bodies..

I think the '57 windshields are different from '55-56 because of this..the cowl looks flatter on the '57, at least w/ the Revell kit bodies..

If we're talking about full-size cars now, the windshields are the same on the '55-'57 cars. The only differences would be hardtop to sedan.....that sort of thing.

• 3 weeks later...

If we're talking about full-size cars now, the windshields are the same on the '55-'57 cars. The only differences would be hardtop to sedan.....that sort of thing.

On the 1:1 cars, the windshilds are differant in 1957, (taller on 57's because of the lowered cowl) 55 & 56 are the same. The rest of the glass is the same on like body styles.

http://www.classicchevy.com/catalogsearch/result/?search_year=ALL&q=windshilds&x=26&y=10

• 3 months later...

The builders didn't paint or foil that trim, apparently. It's not a separate piece like the rear quarter trim. Some of the Revell pics for this kit do show it painted (like the red and white one w/ the custom wheels).

Just looking to clarify. On the 1:1 the rear trim is a separate piece, is it a separate piece on the kit also?

Yes, the rear trim is separate on the new tool kit. The front trim is molded on, though. Not sure why they did it that way, the old tool Revell '55 had separate trim front and rear.

Thanks for the heads up, a little easier to do a custom that way.

If you do leave the rear trim off, you will need to do some filling, as the trim sits in a recess molded in the body. It's not too deep, maybe 1/16". The best way to fill it would be to use some strip stock cut to size, then filler of choice to take care of any gaps and to blend it in.

5903220948_307298b0d2_b.jpg

If I were building this kit at the moment, I'd tighten up the recess a bit with evergreen strip and then glue on the rear chrome pieces, after they were stripped. I'd then BMF them after everything was all painted.

Makes for a much more consistent look for all the chrome trim IMO. :lol: