Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

Cien1986

• 2 weeks later...

It's a stunner ! You made it, this is a very nice gullwing model! Any last touches planned ?

Take care,

Rok

thanks Rok... not sure what to add so... take a rest first...

since i am not installing the muffler pipe and the interior hand grip yet...

its all painted and coated... just too tired to glue it.... :unsure:

Edited by Cien1986

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting for the finishing touches so you can say it's done.

X2 :)

Come on Henry, take that missing 5 percent, glue it up and make it a 100% :P

And don't forget to post the final result, we are all waiting for it.

I wish the kit was lovely. But Henry's doing a great job to make it so.

True, I completely agree ! Based on this thread, this 300SL kit is not so much fun to build... lots and lots of errors to fix :/ I see you are a true expert in the 300SL Gullwing topic - when and where did your passion begin =) ?? Nice to see & read your comments Jordan! Great tips all the way.

True, I completely agree ! Based on this thread, this 300SL kit is not so much fun to build... lots and lots of errors to fix :/ I see you are a true expert in the 300SL Gullwing topic - when and where did your passion begin =) ?? Nice to see & read your comments Jordan! Great tips all the way.

The original idea was, after about a 30-year layoff, to build a model to relieve work stress. I went to HobbyTown USA several years ago to get craft supplies for my daughter's school project, and I saw a 1/16 Minicraft kit of my all-time favorite car, the Gullwing. Things just mushroomed from there. So far, I'm a collector and researcher, not yet a builder of this stuff. I've amassed a ton of reference books, original 300 SL parts and literature, manuals, brochures, videos, just about every kit version, etc. Which led to more of the same kind of mania regarding other classic cars and associated kits from 1/16 to 1/8 (not including Pocher, then into a few 1/24-25 cars that appealed to me).

Edited by sjordan2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@sjordan2: Tnx for sharing your story, it's all about the passion, right?! Gullwing is for sure "the one and only" and once you are pulled in... well, the passion just keeps getting bigger!

@Cien: Man, we are at 97% completion ha ha, just joking :) The lights look super!

The only things that bother me on this build of a total mess of a kit are the steering wheel (check real cars to see what I'm talking about) and not filling in the body seams around the nose and rear valance. Otherwise, this has been done so well in so many other ways, that I can only add kudos to a great piece of work.

Wasn't the wheel on these cars white?

Given all the horror stories I've heard regarding these kits, I should try one... just to see... ;)

Yes, the steering wheel was metal with an ivory finish; it tilted down to allow easier entrance/exit over the high door sill.

Wood-rimmed 3-spoke Nardi steering wheels were also available.

Contact me before you decide which kit to tackle and I can give you basic pros and cons -- every kit has a different set of inaccuracies, fitment problems and other challenges. Overall, the best of the bunch is the 1/16 Italeri 300 SL Roadster, though it needs a totally re-done windshield and a few other minor fixes. (The 1/16 Italeri Gullwing is a different matter. They based their Gullwing main body shell on the Roadster, which has obviously different dimensions in key areas, among other problems.)

And my 300 SL reference files are about twice the size of what I had on the SS.

Edited by sjordan2