Model Cars Magazine Forum

16th Scale Chili Pepper! Update: 12-28-09

Ira

This is the first Revell 16th scale Funny Car that I have built. It is a very nice kit, Good details and an easy fit on most all of the parts. Just need to add the Cockpit Side panels & a few more details and the chassis is done. The Front Wheels & Scoop with Injectors are from Competition Resins. The rear wheels are from the Tony Nancy Dragster.

The only problem I found was some of the tires in these kits self destruct... so I am looking for resin tire replacements.

ABOOx1.JPG

I am working on 2 bodies for this chassis. The first is inspired by the old AMT VW Funny Car kit called Bugaboo and the second body is a 34 Ford Coupe. Both of the bodies will be narrowed, shortened, chopped and the front ends will be scratch built. Body photos next month!

ABOOx2.JPG

Edited by Ira

Here is a photo showing a little progress on the VW Chili Pepper. I Chopped the top, Shortened the body, Reduced the width of the body, Sectioned it, Radiused the rear wheel wells, and cut down the rear lip of the body. I still need to fabricate the long "Bugaboo Style" front end on the VW body, then I will start on the 34 Ford Chili Pepper Body.

Comments or Questions Welcome...

ACPx5.JPG

Edited by Ira

I made a cardboard template of the front end. This is not an exact template, it is just a rough idea of how the front end will be.

Next step is to cut out a plastic piece for the top section of the front end and start cutting & shaping it to fit. Then I will make the side pieces.

ACPx6.JPG

I made a cardboard template of the front end. This is not an exact template, it is just a rough idea of how the front end will be.

Next step is to cut out a plastic piece for the top section of the front end and start cutting & shaping it to fit. Then I will make the side pieces.

ACPx6.JPG

"RED HOT IS RIGHT!!" SWEET FAB WORK BROTHER!! :)

Here is the latest progress on the new Chili Pepper Front End. This shape has been fabricated with 3 pieces of sheet plastic. First the top section was cut to size, bent to fit and glued in place. Next the side pieces were traced from the top piece and cut to shape and glued in place.

ACPx7.JPG

This photo shows the addition of the VW Style raised molding on the "Hood". It was made from a piece of thin sheet plastic, cut in a streched "W" shape and glued in place. Now the edges will be shaped with file boards and sandpaper.

ACPx8.JPG

Next I will be working on the window openings and adding new side window posts.

I love the way you cut stuff up! You are a fearless model car builder. You have no inhibitions when it comes to getting what you want out of some styrene. :D

Thanks Andy,

By the way, I really like your resin designs, the Firebird, VW's & T's are Fantastic!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a some body work done on the Chili Pepper. Window posts have been added to the newly shaped side windows. The nose has been carved down and rounded off. The rear body has been shaped, rough sanded and Primer/Filler has been applied.

ACPx9.JPG

Rear View

ACPx10.JPG

Comments or Suggestions Welcome!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...