Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 944 (old Repost)

Dominik

Looong time ago, now i have the time, to repost some of my Topics that were lost as the server crashed down. I was busy...unbelivable...

The first one, Porsch 944 S from italerie. Build stock out of the box, painted with spraycans as always with some clearcoat.

enjoy

CIMG141118_524.jpg

CIMG141118_526.jpg

CIMG141118_528.jpg

CIMG141118_530.jpg

CIMG141118_532.jpg

CIMG141118_533.jpg

Comments alway welcome, goods or bads. feel free to say, what you think ;)

• 1 month later...

These pale blues seem to be making a comeback in the 1 to1 world and it looks good on your 944. I prefer the look of the convertible 944 but also have your kit of the coupe available for a future build. It's a nice kit with everything going together well. Even the semi curbside engine compartment looks good with a little bit of detailing.

Thanks for comments ;)

this kit is very simple to build, is getting well together.

about rotting...a old friend wanted to donate one to me loooong time ago...i refused...today, i would bite me in my...you know what iu mean.

Speaking of 944's .. and their 924 predecessor, I have to agree these were fine machines. I had 5 of them total ... were my daily cars for over 25 years .. and I'm in snow country.

They always got bad press from people that didn't know better .. many of those 911 owners. I doubt any of them ever drove one. Yes, they could always have used more horsepower, but people with big bore corvettes say the same. Just take one around one corner and you will be sold .. the handling was the best I ever felt .. so neutral and it made ME look like an accomplished driver! Yes, they were put together with various VW/Audi parts bin items .. hand picked by Porsche. I guess all those 911 naysayers weren't aware of Porsche's great engineering talent. They put those parts together in a way that turned out one of the best handling cars of the day .. for a small sum. I bought all mine used from @13,000 to $21,000 for a 2 year old '91 944 S2. My 2 liter BMW turbo has more HP than that 3 liter four.

But the 924/944's were designed as GT automobiles .. high speed cruising from point A to point B ... something Americans didn't know much about, but practiced all the time.I loved these cars in my engineering business that had me on the road quite often servicing our clients. One client 4 hours away up the Adirondack NY Northway always asked how many tickets I got ... and paid for all of them! The 944 just settled down at 90mph .. felt more stable than at 55.

At first I couldn't get snow tires for them but by the first 944 they finally became available and four of then kept me using them rather than a company truck when it was snowing.

Dominik has done a beautiful job on this clean build. I've said this before when it was first posted .. and lost.

All five of mine have been either built (2) or are on the workbench (3). My old avatar is the middle '87 944 engine.

Thank you very much for kind comments.

Mike, i am in a Porsche Club and they always make challenges on an airfield. i alway was impressed about the handling from 944 or 968. they drove the same times like the 911. Its an underdog, too late they discovered the potential.

o.k., that time, as it was built, Porsche had a big crisis...therefore they have sorted out and they focused on the 911.

These days, i wished i had one in the barn...like them, when i see them on the road.