Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12th Drag radial 69 camaro (5/27/14) Full set of wheels.

Prostreet

I'm back to building, I finally got one of my finished attic rooms turned into my hobby room. I bought 2 10' counter tops from lowes and built some 2x4 frames for them, I still need to build some little racks for the wall above the bench for glues etc.

I was also finally able to get the mill and lathe i have been wanting, i purchased a sherline package of ebay for a good deal. Here's a couple pictures of the room so far.

7-vi.jpg

4-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

Ok so now onto the project, This will be a 1/12th outlaw Drag radial 69 camaro, The tires will be from TDR which are actually 325's and outlaw drag radial uses 315's, for model sake will call them 315's. The plan right now is to use TDR's bigblock chevy unless i can dig up some good pictures and measurements of an aftermarket billet block to machine my own. For now i plan on doing twin turbo, i want to try and machine my own rear tires also. if that works out it could turn into and outlaw 10.5 car. So far i only have one rear rim complete, i plan on starting the other one this weekend and hopefully starting the centers.

Kit i'm using

007-vi.jpg

The rear wheels i'm doing are the Mickey Thompson PRO 5 ET drag wheel, Keep in mine i'm a rookie machinist.

672-6164547DBL.jpg

I tapered the dish 5 degrees out from the center then added a 45 on the end. Not trying to get to complicated with my first wheels. keep in mind in the end they will be wet sanded and polished.

010-vi.jpg

008-vi.jpg

Back side

009-vi.jpg

Want to say big thx. to Dave (comp1839) for helping me out with figuring out how to measure things out and what bits to use.

Edited by Prostreet

Joe.... It is so great to see you back on a project. I will be following along on this journey with you. Love the set up of your new hobby room along with your lathe and mill.... The start of your rims looks awesome. You are a natural for sure and they look gorgeous so far. I can't wait to see more of this one. You gonna build a tube chassis for it??

congrats on the nice clean model room and all the new equipment, joe!!!!! you're in for the time of your life. learning to machine your own stuff is such a liberating experience. machining is just SOOOOO much fun. wheels look like you're off to a great start. i am truly excited for you!!!!!!!!

Nice job on the rims! I used to make that stuff all the time. I can help also if you have any questions.

For your work bench, if I could make a suggestion, keep an eye open for kitchen cabinets on clearance at the big box stores. These make great storage cabinets and can be found cheap. I picked up a few at Home Depot a couple of years ago for just a few dollars each... These were the white melamine "put together" cabinets but they work great for building a nice modeling/hobby bench.

Mark

Joe it's good to see your work on here again. I wish I had that much countertop room. I'm looking forward to the progress of this Camaro. I've been curious as to the quality of the kit. Your rim looks great so far. Can't wait for more.

Thx. Guys, Well i finally have a wheel center done. It didn't go as planned and that's expected since i don't have any machining experience and never used a mill, so after 2 failed attempts and some broken bits doing the centers the way i wanted i went to the 2nd design i wanted to do which is way less complicated and just a flat surface, Before this build is complete i will probably end up making more centers, I need to order some even smaller mill bits so i can get the angle i wanted for the spokes, but for now i'm happy with the way this one turned out, Once the rear tires show up i will start the beadlock rings. Hoping to see tires this week. The center and rim still need to be wet sanded and polished, not sure if i will add any black.

Big thx. again to Dave giving me some guidance. :)

003-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

006-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

009-vi.jpg

Joe... Very nice work my friend. Are you sure this is your first attempt at Machining?? You could of had me fooled. I think the rim looks great and I am looking forward to the bead locks next. I need to take notes so I can do some nice work like this.

Looking good, Joe! I love the work shop and I think you made a good choice with the Sherline set-up. The wheel looks good and that's for a beginner or not. I would definitely be proud to turn out something like that. You're definitely in good hands with Sherm!

Edited by ScrappyJ

Thx. fellas, well i finally figured out how to do a star pattern . It's just a flat surface but i'm very happy with the way it turned out. I didn't cut it off the piece of stock yet, I'm trying to decide if i want to run a small ball mill down the center of the spokes or not. I have never done this and don't really wanna mess up this center, also contemplating doing cut outs where the lugs sit. this is my 3rd try at stars, it's been a learning curve for sure. but lots of fun, i could just do this all day and never build a model lol.

015-vi.jpg

016-vi.jpg

017-vi.jpg

excellent work joe!!!!!!! once you get it ............you get it , huh? turn to a degree on the rotary table and then move to the offset on the "y" axis and cut between the 2 points on the "x" axis. from this point on it's all about how much detail or fancy do you want to be? your wheels almost look like the old motorwheel "fly" style. which i happen to love.

again, excellent work!!!!!!!

Edited by comp1839

Thx. Dave, wouldn't have gotten this far with out your help, much appreciated. I remember seeing how you did your front dragster wheel and it just clicked.

Thx. Scott and Leonard.

Well i must say i'm pretty pumped how this wheel is turning out, I know it's just a flat star wheel, but i never thought i would be able to pull it off.

Here is the wheel with a quick sand and polish and mocked up in the TDR Drag radial and under the body. This car is changing to more of a stock suspension drag/street car. This weekend i will get the other rim and center done then start working on the beadlock rings. I have so many ideas on stuff i want to machine for this car, It's going to be a blast. last picture is of another future 1/12th project. oh yeahh!

005-vi.jpg

007-vi.jpg

008-vi.jpg

2013frontendside-vi.jpg

Thx Dave, It will need to be mini tubbed and the rails moved, will probably go ladder bar now lol and will make all new frame rails. I guess it's pretty much turning into a back half car, stil contemplating doing pockets where the lugs go, but since it's my first wheel i may leave it as is. once the other wheel is done i will start cutting up the backend. Probably going to do a fab 9 out of brass and try to do my own center section, i will also do the whole front suspension. Going to use the TDR bigblock and make my own top end and do a gear driven procharger. going to alot of aluminum flying lol.