Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which kit has the best HEMI?

A stock 392 is a no brainer, the Mobeus 300. For a drag version, my vote would go for any of the Revell '41 Willys (new tool) kits or the Miss Deal Studebaker.

Aaaargh! I just traded away my Stude earlier this evening! :lol: What do you think of the AMT Chrysler 300 HEMI?

Edited by MAGNUM4342

For a modern Hemi I like the Revell Magnum or Challenger (6.1 SRT engine).

I agree, BUT (big but) I have both of them on the bench right at this moment and the Challenger block and heads are almost 1/4" inch shorter (in length) than the Magnum. I'm still trying to get a 1:1 measured to find out which one is correct (they're both supposed to be 6.1 Hemis).

Another nice racing early (gen1) hemi is in the AMT parts pack, though the detail on the block sides is missing if I remember correctly.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Revell modern 6.1 Hemi...Top white one from the Challenger kit, lower gray one from the Magnum kit.

DSCN9228_zps2b08f68a.jpg

Which is the correct length ?? Anyone have one to measure ??

Wow, looks like someone tried to do their homework on the bus. That's a huge difference in length, even in this scale. I'm not a Mopar expert by any means, but I'm inclined to believe the white piece replicates the 1:1 more closely.

Where are all our experts? I thought we'd have this resolved in half a day.

I've always had a soft spot for the look of the 392 in the Hemi-Hydro.

That one is the same engine found in the Miss Deal Studebaker, only with a different intake, the prop drive for the boat, and it doesn't have the separate rocker shafts that go on the heads that the Miss Deal has. Either one is a very nice rendition of the 392.

Revell modern 6.1 Hemi...Top white one from the Challenger kit, lower gray one from the Magnum kit.

DSCN9228_zps2b08f68a.jpg

Which is the correct length ?? Anyone have one to measure ??

This is an interesting question. Doing some searching, I found this:

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/hemicarmeasurements.pdf

Also, I found the measurements for a custom oil pan for the 6.1 - it is 24" long. I don't have a Revell kit to see which is closer to that.

The AMT '29 Ford roadster had an early Hemi IIRC (at least the version I built in the late 80s (molded in red) did....the new tool Ala-Kart had one, but IIRC it was said to be undersized...

Just for accuracy's sake (though I believe the original question was about the 392 Chrysler Firepower Hemi specifically):

The Red Ram 241/ 270 cube (small early hemi) engine in the FIRST TOOL Ala Kart / '29 Ford kit has an early (about '39) Ford 3-speed trans set up for a closed driveline (torque tube). For the bazillionth time (no offense intended) the ORIGINAL ISSUE ALA KART RED RAM (the one also in the later AMT '29 Ford kit) IS CORRECT (more or less, close enough). The RETOOLED more recent Ala Kart Red Ram is SEVERELY UNDERSCALE. I've posted the actual measurements I made from 1:1 engines on several forums over the years, and this has been confirmed by others in the 1:1 field. The numbers don't lie.

Another early and interesting Hemi is the DeSoto Firedome 276 / 291/ 341. There is one available in the AMT '53 Ford pickup. It also is backed up by the ubiquitous Ford early 3-speed, but the pickup has an open driveshaft.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

This is an interesting question. Doing some searching, I found this:

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/hemicarmeasurements.pdf

Also, I found the measurements for a custom oil pan for the 6.1 - it is 24" long. I don't have a Revell kit to see which is closer to that.

Thanks to Erik, the modern Hemi question is resolved. The dimensioned photograph on the page he's linked us to concurs with these findings. The pan for the white Challenger engine measures .945". Multiply by 25, we get 23.62"...much closer to a scale 24" than the pan for the gray Magnum engine that measures 1.144" and scales out to 28.6".

So Revell, uhhh...how about explaining a 5" scale discrepency on these engines ?? Ummmm, it's not like one had to be made smaller to fit. It would have cost LESS to use the same tooling for both engines, or at least the same set of basic dimensions. What's up with that ???

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

That one is the same engine found in the Miss Deal Studebaker, only with a different intake, the prop drive for the boat, and it doesn't have the separate rocker shafts that go on the heads that the Miss Deal has. Either one is a very nice rendition of the 392.

Yup, which is also the same one issued as a Revell Parts Pack #C1102, quite rare now and originally labeled as a 413cu.in. engine.