Model Cars Magazine Forum

Utopian Future

Lunajammer

Very clever rear wheel and tire. I like it. Are the front tires going to match?

I may have missed something, but why did you cut the coupler into 5 pieces? It looks like you might have finished the outer edges first.

Yes, the front wheels will be as is with the exception of some finishing and a bearing housing. Inside at the center of the coupler is a ridge that I want to keep as a drive track (photo 3). So to narrow the coupler into a rim I need the center ring and the outer edges. The rest goes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry I've got nothing to show in a month folks. It looks like Jacen may be out for a long while if not for good, so if someone has an overwhelming urge to take a stab at the Lincoln Futura I'd still love to see one here, as well as any cars of flight or fancy. All are welcome in Utopia.

Definitely future, but not exactly utopian. This is something I made around 1989-1990. I figured the shape fits the theme, and a little participation never hurts a thread. Upper surface is solar panels. Electric powered, drive by wire, with monitors in the cabin. I forget how many models were chopped up to build this. Revel 82-3 Firebird, Fujimi Lamborgini, fire truck ladders, some sort of stock car, etc., etc.

aliciascar2-vi.jpg

P1000549-vi.jpg

P1000539-vi.jpg

P1000542-vi.jpg

• 7 months later...

First an apology for letting this thread lapse. This has been an impossible year for me to model. That said...

I've extended the deadline to the year 2525. What kind of thread about the future denies itself that very future? Jacen has gone away and apparently all his posts went with him. But this subject is very much alive and I invite all of you to continue dreaming about futures seen and not yet seen. Please re-read the invitation on page 1 and unleash your creativity.

There's a bulge in the body below the Cherry Bomb's turbine engine that had to be leveled or it made problems for my new future engine.

Underside_zpsaefc73be.jpg

This is the "engine" that I scrounged from a bin at a flea market. The body had to be opened up to make room for it. There will still be some plumbing to add, just have to come up with something convincing.

EnginePlacement_zps1527af79.jpg

I've mocked up a rear fender and would like to use some aspect of this piece of Transformers thingy as a drive arm for the hubless wheel.

RearMockup_zpsbcefce77.jpg

Go ahead and jump in brothers and sisters of the plastic. All are welcome in Utopia. :)

Edited by Lunajammer

Here's one that, although not eligible for this CBP because I built it about 10 years ago, it certainly does fit into the theme here. It's made from 2 1959 Dodge promos, the bubble top from the Monogram '58 T-Bird, and an interior cobbled together from many different kit parts and scratchbuilt stuff. I call it a 2059 Dodge ZZT.

2059DODGEZZZT.jpg

2059DODGEZZZTSIDEVIEW.jpg

2059DODGEZZZTREARVIEW.jpg

2059DODGEZZZTINTERIOR.jpg

Here's one that, although not eligible for this CBP because I built it about 10 years ago, it certainly does fit into the theme here. It's made from 2 1959 Dodge promos, the bubble top from the Monogram '58 T-Bird, and an interior cobbled together from many different kit parts and scratchbuilt stuff. I call it a 2059 Dodge ZZT.

2059DODGEZZZT.jpg

2059DODGEZZZTREARVIEW.jpg

2059DODGEZZZTINTERIOR.jpg

Very wild Rich. Are you a drinking man ? : ) 59 Chevy taillights as headlights ??? Yes ??

John, that rod is downright sexy. I love the subtlety of the lines. If you get the gumption to continue with it I'd love see where it goes. But that T-Bird is something else. I shudder to think of the time you invested. I only mention that because the level of care and imagination shows. Any hidden details worth showing?

And Richard....

That Dodge is killer. Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words. That so perfectly captures the heart and soul of what I would like to acheive myself. Very, very exciting

John, that rod is downright sexy. I love the subtlety of the lines. If you get the gumption to continue with it I'd love see where it goes. But that T-Bird is something else. I shudder to think of the time you invested. I only mention that because the level of care and imagination shows. Any hidden details worth showing?

Thanks Mike, Here are a few more pictures of the T- Bird.

IMG_0224-vi.jpgIMG_0226-vi.jpg

IMG_0222-vi.jpgIMG_0220-vi.jpg

Thank you Mike, I enjoyed building ths. Believe it or not it started out when I drew a picture of a '59 Dodge with fins on the bottom too. A couple of months later, there it was.

Ray, yes sir, I've been known to "have a few" now and then, but nowhere near as much as I did in my younger days. The '59 Chevy taillights fit perfectly under the headlight eyebrows of the '59 Dodge. I had a friend cast the taillight lenses in clear resin for me, but they yellowed over time.

The Cherry Bomb dash is sparse with dated and thinly engraved details including a large "65" which I suppose is the speed.

DashOriginal1_zpsa4071b2a.jpg

DashOriginal2_zps4c1098fb.jpg

It's actually begging to be detailed and I considered the nacelle of a '57 Chevy dash, but to move this along I just added a parts box guage cluster, buttons and a canopy release. It would be easy to overdo it but I think a utopian car shouldn't be complicated to operate.

DashModified_zps469ced49.jpg

My power plant doesn't require the kit's turbine exhaust, but there's a recessed placement area for it. Rather than just fill it in I'd like to add some texture to the body

ExhaustGrill1_zps3a84bf91.jpg

I burnished some tape into the recess with a pencil...

ExhaustGrill2_zpsa87f67d1.jpg

...then laid the tape on some sculpting screen and just trimmed it to the shape of the marks.

ExhaustGrill3_zpsf82462d3.jpg

Pressed it firmly into the space and superglued. This will be painted body color, maybe with a wash. Mostly I just wanted a little texture to add interest.

ExhaustGrill4_zps5eeeb6a7.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer