Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin LS7/T-56 Crate Motor from VCG Resins-LS9 coming soon

I found a caster that may be interested in producing this setup for me.

To do a fairly convincing version of a crate motor for a pro-touring project you really need the block/tranny from the Revell '02 Camaro/'98 Firebird combined with the front cover+pulleys/belts+heads+intake+beauty covers from the C6 Z06 Vette and a modified oil pan and filter from the Silverado. I built this crate motor for a '69 Nova project of mine and with the exception of the beauty covers being from a C5 Z06 instead of the C6 Z06 is largely what I'm looking at having done. I've picked up a bunch of the Revell '02 SS Camaros over the years to steal the LSx motor and/or T-56 tranny from and otherwise have found little use for the rest of the kit. On top of that, you really need at least some pieces from those other two sources to flesh it out properly.

I'm posting this up here to gauge the interest in such a setup. Obviously, if we can show the caster that there is a market for it the more likely it is to actually happen.

IMG_6151.jpg

IMG_6149_zps0de628e8.jpg

Edited by LOBBS

Very nicely done. Yes, I'd be interested in some. Are YOU casting them, or someone else? They DO look VERY nice.

I did a fair amount of research on the GM 1:1 crate setup when I put together the motor for my Nova. I've got the parts to do another master that's identical with the exception that I'll include the newer C6 beauty covers. Someone else would be doing the casting.

Edited by LOBBS

Just a quick update. All the parts are gathered up and when I get home from work tonight I have to get some pics sent off to the caster so he can give me an estimate. I'm loving the excitement being shown here as I think this is a long overdue offering to have out there.

Though (and because) I haven't built anything LS front-engined, front-gearbox, rear wheel drive for exactly the reasons you pointed out (as far as having to source bits from several kits to 'get-it-right') I think having a drop-in package like you propose would be terrific. I think it would be nice if the gearbox was cast separately from the engine, too.

Though (and because) I haven't built anything LS front-engined, front-gearbox, rear wheel drive for exactly the reasons you pointed out (as far as having to source bits from several kits to 'get-it-right') I think having a drop-in package like you propose would be terrific. I think it would be nice if the gearbox was cast separately from the engine, too.

I do also have plans to do just the 6-speed T-56 tranny as a stand alone item as well. Using the bellhousing from the '02 Camaro is reasonably correct to use behind a traditional SBC or BBC. The master for it will be sent along with the full crate motor. The tranny could also be used to correct the fact that Revell used an automatic in their '10 Camaro SS kits.

What's the box on the left? A Muncie or a Borg Warner T10? I'd say Muncie from the center bolt-boss for the side cover on the left side.

It's the stock setup from the Revell '69 Corvette BBC so it should be an M-22.

Fresh off the trees. Ready to be cleaned up and a few things slightly modified to make the crate motor.

The recipe:

Engine and tranny from a Revell '02 Camaro SS

Heads and intake from a C5 Vette-really doesn't matter the tooling is the same in the '02 Camaro SS, C5 and C6 Vettes.

Front engine cover/accessories/throttle body, belts/pulleys/accessories, starter, oil filler cap and beauty covers from the C6 Z06 Corvette

Oil pan and filter from the Revell Silverado-only kit in this line of tooling with a behind the crossmember sump that is more correct for older vehicles.

IMAG0224_zpsf7b5656e.jpg

Edited by LOBBS

I think we're far enough along now to reveal the caster who will be handling this. Manny at VCG has given me an early quote of $15. Given the quality of his work, the layout of some of the pieces and the freedom to no longer have to raid a minimum of 3 kits to pull this off I believe that it is a fair price. It certainly is in line with his other engine kits of similar complexity.