Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Re-Charger (Updated 5-29-13)

pandamonium2112

After a quick review of yesterdays work, I figured out there would be an issue with the ride height. The block that cups the axle needed to be taller which translates to a lower ride height. So back to the drawing board.

Since I wasn't 100% pleased with how it turned out anyway. I spent the whole morning scratch building all the parts to redo the rear suspension.

Here's what I came up with.

P1050674_zpsaa829aaa.jpg

With the help of a hand full of pins, I got it temporarily held together.

P1050676_zpsc924dd78.jpg

P1050677_zpsec6d16f0.jpg

I think it turned out a lot better and looks a bit more realistic. The rebuild saddle blocks dropped the whole car 3/8 of an inch.

I finally glue the new tubs in place last night so it would be dry to work with today.

Here's a couple views of it all sitting in it's perspective place.

P1050679_zpse92ef7bb.jpg

P1050678_zpsd22da3b7.jpg

Now that I have a measurement I can get to work on the Coil over shocks and mounts.

Here's the battery, nitrous tanks and fuel cell (I may scratch build a new one out of aluminum) What do you thick, the plastic just looks to cheesy

All added up it doesn't look like a lot but it took all day to build.

P1050680_zpsa276d165.jpg

I'm going to have to break down and make a run to Salt Lake City to the hobby store that carries the "Alclad Paint Line" to use anything else on this built would be a constant source of regret to me after all the work that will go into it..

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get a little accomplished in between all the other projects.

I had to chuck up the rims and remove some plastic so I could fit the car with Disc brakes (original kit had drums on all 4's)

Next, I cut some styrene squares and chucked them in the drill and stuck a knife to it to come up with the disc's. Laying them out for the vent holes was a little tricky and I came up with 2 different designs but one looked a lot better than the other.

I cut more styrene for the bracket that holds the rear calipers in place.

Then I got working on the calipers themselves. They are at a crude point right now but some putty and Dremel work should pull them together.

Here's the work removing the lip on the rims. It was the only way I was going to get realistic sized discs and calipers added.

The left is original, the left is after trimming.

P1050681_zps75bfe0dc.jpg

Here I got the disc's cut.

P1050684_zps452db68e.jpg

I made 5 of them so I could sacrifice on while laying out the vent hole pattern.

P1050685_zps292437e5.jpg

This proved to be a little time consuming.

P1050687_zpsd862b201.jpg

I used the hole guide and put punch marks on each of the lines, then dropped down 2 sizes and repeated the process. Then I took a pin vise and drilled them all out. 54 holes on one pattern and 86 on the other. I decided to go with the pattern on the left.

P1050689_zps7baffcfe.jpg

Here's the bracket for the rear calipers. I can't complete it trimming it till I get the calipers finished.

P1050690_zpsdc454ade.jpg

I had to chuck more pieces to build the calipers, but the scraps from cutting the discs will come in handy also.

P1050691_zps122676a7.jpg

P1050692_zpsde8a083e.jpg

I really debated on buying some pre made calipers but decided that I would have more fun trying to make my own.

They are at a pretty crude stage right now but if the plan goes well, a little trim and putty will pull it together.

P1050693_zps539f5d0a.jpg

Ira, Anne and Andy: thanks for the replies. This has been a fun rebuild. not my usual work (new kit) I've had to rehash all those ideas that I had when I built it in the 90's when all I had was a kitchen table to work at, and use the knowledge and skill I've gained since, to pull it off.

Greg: as for the color. I put it up for a vote and everyone said to keep the original color "Purple metallic flake" you can see it in the first photos. It was still in pretty good shape so I buffed out the hood to see what would happen and it came out like a new paint job.

I would welcome your response though. I toyed with the idea of putting some graphics or something on it., but it is such a street sleeper that i'm not sure what I would even do to it.

I have been working on the rear end (brakes and axle) It's almost done! Then on to the front suspension (oh boy!) I will have some updated photos soon. The yard and honey-do list has sapped all my time recently not to mention getting ready for the Wife's "Quattro De Mayo" party. Bring on the Margaritas and BBQ'd ribs....

Small update.. I finished the discs and mocked up the rear end. Looking pretty good I think.

I got the tubs all sanded down and fitting properly into the body.

I decided that the old fuel tank had to be replaced with an aluminum one.

Also while digging around in my stash, I came up with a tube of "Testors Red Putty" that I've had for years and never opened. I played around with it on some frame work to see if it would be suitable for the rest of the build. I used some other stuff back in the 90's that had Tolene (think that's how it's spelled) and it was so hot, it melted and warped the project I was working on. Valuable lesson learned. I like it, and I didn't have to put out any money.

Here's a photo of the rear end mocked up with the discs added.

P1050697_zpsfe456f83.jpg

I'm going to trim off the U bolts and add some brass nuts on them when the final assembly comes around.

P1050696_zps2d60248e.jpg

I had to cut out where the old fuel tank used to be.

P1050703_zpsf28e43b0.jpg

Another view of the trunk area.

P1050702_zps200e147f.jpg

I just had to through this photo in because this car looks so cool from the front. The blower is detached from the block that's why it's cock eye'd

P1050699_zps7d123c98.jpg

Let's see what we can make with a couple of left over soda cans. I've been using them for years to custom build all kinds of stuff, pretty cheap and always in supply.

My first attempt at the fuel tank was an epic failure. Can you figure out why? I didn't even see it until it was all cut out. I had to laugh at myself..

P1050733_zpsda20d409.jpg

The second try took a different approach. I realized I wasn't going to be able to make it in one piece like I had planned. I also decided to cut a wood block to hold the inside ridged, this will also help later on when I drill it out for the fuel lines. Here's the pieces before assembly.

P1050736_zps97d529c5.jpg

It's about time all that schooling in Wood and Metal shop to pay off, not to mention the 3 years in Auto Body class.

I had to get it bent just right, then work the wood block inside without mangling it to badly.

P1050776_zps15383e6a.jpg

That wasn't so hard!

P1050777_zps77f19bf9.jpg

Then I used Super glue to put the top and bottom pieces on.

P1050778_zps15f2ca7f.jpg

Here's a photo of the tank propped up in the trunk, not the right height yet, but that will come later.

I have 2 Nitrous tanks that will be mounted on the black deck right between the wheel tubs.

I still have to do some trimming on the top and bottom plates. And I have one more really sweet trick left to perform!

You'll have to check back on the next update to see it. It has to do with filling in the small gap around the edges...I hope it works!

P1050779_zps3897c6d4.jpg

Hopefully this next week I'll be able to put some real time into this build.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I updated.

The wife scratched her cornea which got infected, turned into 2 trips to the ER and an emergency call to an Ophthalmologist. Spent 2 days administering anti biotic drops every half hour (day and night) then 3 days of drops every hour (day and night). Day 6 was drops every 3 hours. Day 7 was 3 times (day only) which allowed me to finally catch all that sleep I missed. She narrowly avoided loosing the eye but will have permanent scarring and possibly need a cornea transplant. Still waiting to see how well it heals itself first.

When it rains! It pours.. We are just grateful we caught it in time.

I was able to build a little bench time in while she was sleeping + the progress I made before this happened.

I got the nitrous tanks and the "T" fitting done. just need paint and a decal on them.

Then the task of making 8 identical coil over shocks. Tedious but I enjoyed it.

I've started to turn some focus on re working the front suspension.

Here's a photo of the Nitrous tanks.

P1050782_zps0ad52ff2.jpg

And the "T"

P1050783_zps4708106e.jpg

Most of the pieces needed for the coil overs.

P1050839_zps6b6d1ac8.jpg

Some assembly required...LOL

P1050843_zpsba7ef444.jpg

Without the coils.

P1050847_zps16b7c5d5.jpg

These still need to be trimmed to fit. They are in 2 pieces so after the suspension is complete I can measure then cut the center ram and coil for the final fit. They turned out pretty good I think.

P1050845_zps4e764b66.jpg

Here's a photo of the stock front end. I'm in the process of making lower A arms to replace the old set up. The kit had A arms for the uppers but the new ones have to be wider and making all the brackets for the new front end out of brass. Should be fun.

P1050786_zps57b01475.jpg

P1050785_zps2d8fb2b1.jpg

That's about all for now. Hope to be back on this project soon and get some pics posted.

Thanks for checking in..