Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP 1958 Impala AMT paint/foil done

Basscat

First build after a 30 year hiatus..58 AMT Impala....Tamiya spray can Racing White over Coral. Bare Metal Chrome applied..whata pain that was..LOL

I have Tamiya TS-13 clear to spray it with, what do I use to clean up the body prior to the clear ? I have the 3 Tamiya compounds/polish paste..use before or after the clear ?

58Impala012.jpg

30 years off, and you come back and do THAT awesome foil-job??? :o:P

Looking great in every way as a matter of fact, keep it up!

Thanks, first time using foil...took a long time to get it right.....light years ahead of trying to paint the chrome on though LOL...

Yea, last car I built was in 1974......still have about a half dozen of them I found in the basement, going to try and restore a few of them.....all the chrome has disspeared off them though......just completley gone from sitting , just white plastic left....I guess foiling the entire bumper/grilles is the way to go ?

What is the best way to clean the paint up before spraying the clear ?

Great lookin' '58! B)

If your paint is a solid (it appears that way) I'd simply rub out the paint with wax and not clear it. I use clearcoats mostly for metallics where they shouldn't be rubbed out directly because the metallic flakes can get a mottled or spotted appearance.

Solid colors generally have enough hardener in them that you can rub them out and they'll get a brilliant shine.

I'm not familiar with the type of wax you want to use...............If it were me, I'd test it somewhere inconspicuous on the body to ward off any surprises.

BTW, the '58 I built that's in my signature was not clearcoated-------just simply rubbed out with Detail Master polishing cloths, and waxed with Meguiar's Car Cleaner Wax. The paint I used however was a Dupont Automotive mix (Rio Red) so it's a bit tougher than the hobby paints out there.

HTH! :)