Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond REO C9064D

Just a little project I'm throwing together for giggles, using mostly spare parts.

Modified the grille to represent an earlier style.

10505466_692654500790210_470470321257390

Cut just a hair over 20 scale inches out of the hood, and added some raised details to the new grille opening.

1_zps3da71508.jpg

And of course the fenders needed to be modified- I just held them up to the shortened hood and determined where to cut them. I also added a new/old paint job to the cab. Of course, the rear suspension/axles were moved forward, and the frame was shortened behind the rear axle.

3_zps03d07a95.jpg

Not sure if these are the wheels/tires I'll end up using on it, but they'll keep the chassis up and out of the dirt for now anyway.

Edited by Chuck Most

Settled on some rolling stock- the Goodyear floatation tires from an Ertl IH Paystar, with the front wheels from an AMT Ford C-600, because I nabbed the REO spokes for this to use on a White Road Boss. I used the C 600 rear wheel rims so they'd be wide enough to work with the Goodyears. In the back, I used the Paystar's 5-hole steel wheels wrapped with some AMT Firestone tires.

10527862_694290783959915_779595637921193

For power I went with a Detroit 8V-71, still a tight fit under that stubby hood even after some radiator and firewall clearancing.

10425012_694290790626581_324470164928258

Still a ways to go, but getting there...

Edited by Chuck Most

She's grown a few more appendages since the last time around, as well as a name- "Bruiser". Why? Why not?

10559734_695076440548016_179552471416981

The air cleaner housing was made from a modified piece from the Revell "snap" Peterbilt 359, while the end cap came from the spares box- I think it came from an Ertl IH Transtar, but don't quote me there. I also used some aluminum mesh for the grille- I had it left over from making a jockey box for a log rig I'm working on, and though it isn't a correct representation of the stock DR grille, I liked how it looked and figured I'd go for it anyway.

Not sure if I want to have a single stack or duals- I know it seemed like the majority of Detroit V8 trucks and tractors had duals, but I kind of think this one would look just right with a single stack. Guess I'll see where the project takes me.

Edited by Chuck Most

One of the most "delightfully terrifying" sounds I remember from my childhood is the uncorked Detroit in a local farmer's old GMC crackerbox. When he'd step on that thing, everybody in Gratiot county knew he was headed their way. Wonder if he ever got cited for noise pollution...? :lol:

One of the most "delightfully terrifying" sounds I remember from my childhood is the uncorked Detroit in a local farmer's old GMC crackerbox. When he'd step on that thing, everybody in Gratiot county knew he was headed their way. Wonder if he ever got cited for noise pollution...? :lol:

My uncle once owned a 1971 R-700 Mack that had a 318 Detroit with dual straight pipes, he got cited for "excessive noise" a few times. The sound was incredible but people knew when he was coming down the road! Eventually he replaced the truck with a 1975 761 Brockway that had a 350 Cummins.

My dad had a Ford LN 8000 flatbed wrecker with a Detroit in, and as the others said the truck could be heard clear across town. My dad being a speed shifter, it seemed like he loved the noise that thing made. On another note, someone sent me a video of a Hendrickson at a tractor pull with a V12 Detroit with strait pipes. It did a wheel stand all the way down the track, and that was about the craziest sound Ive ever heard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta love it when the fuel tanks you plan to use up and walk away. Looks like I'll be resorting to Plan B, as soon as Plan B is formulated...

Ouch. Maybe PVC pipe?