Model Cars Magazine Forum

Read any good books lately?

charlie8575

I just finished The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian.

This is a very moving, well-written mix of summer reading, historical fiction, and modern adult fiction. As I have said to a couple of friends of mine who are English majors, this book has a genuine chance at being hailed a modern classic.

It's set around a novelist who explores her gradnparents meeting and the trials they endured during the Armenian Genocide, her grandfather an Armenian engineer hired by the Germans and her grandmother a relieft worker from America. The narrator explores the evolution into her life using her own narrative and historical context, almost as if you're reading two or three novels at once.

Bohjalian, when I heard him speak on book-tour, loosely based the character on his own life experience.

Be warned- some of the scenes are pretty rough, but it's a great book and I hightly, highly recommend it.

Charlie Larkin

Histroy of the Knights Templar by Sharan Newman

I'm a rather big histroy buff when it comes to the Templars

I also am a big reader on the history of the Knights Templar, such as "The Cross and the Crescent.".

But what does any of this have to do with the subject of this forum? Anybody read any good car books lately? In addition to Agatha Christie's Poirot novels, I read books about the cars I want to build, such as "Mercedes-Benz," an illustrated history by Schlegelmilch and Hartbrink, "The Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental" by Raymond Gentile, etc., etc. Plus many back issues of "Automobile Quarterly" and "The Encyclopedia of SuperCars." I think this was the original intent of this thread. As for "Fifty Shades of Gray," can I get that from DupliColor?

Edited by sjordan2

Actually, Skip, my intention is to let you talk about any book. Take a look at my first post.

Car books, novels, history, cooking, philosophy, education, it's all up for grabs.

I've heard mention of The Cross and The Crescent, and it's on my "check it out." list. With my involvement in lodge, anything about the Templars piques my interest.

Charlie Larkin

Actually, Skip, my intention is to let you talk about any book. Take a look at my first post.

Car books, novels, history, cooking, philosophy, education, it's all up for grabs.

I've heard mention of The Cross and The Crescent, and it's on my "check it out." list. With my involvement in lodge, anything about the Templars piques my interest.

Charlie Larkin

Well, I appreciate your literacy. You're one of the few people who knows how to spell "piques my interest" correctly. :D

Killing Lincoln, O'Reilly. Best read in years. Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand. Tough to slog thru, but fascinating idealogy. Ann Coulter, How to talk to a Liberal if you must. She is so confident of her opinions, she cracks me up.

Edited by Draggon

Just remembered more. I spent a month on "the road to serfdom". Incredible forward thinking and insightful. Unfortunately it was such a slog I didnt make it to the end. Last year I discovered Lee Child. His "reacher series" based upon a reitred military Op and incredibly tough situations he finds himself in, were the fist books in decades where I couldnt put it down, and got excited.

I have read most of the recommended Authors so far All good stuff so far. I have read almost all of Clive Cussler's books and series and they are a blast. Jack Dubrul who helps Cussler with the Oregon Files is not to shabby either. Anything from Dean R Koontz is a fun read. His Odd Thomas and Frankenstein are fantastic. Stephen King is always good for a surprise. The Gunslinger is an epic series. John J Nance is good especially if you like airplanes. Jonathan Kellerman is great his wife Faye and Son Jesse are all great writers. His Alex Delaware novels are a great read. James Patterson's Novels are wonderful Alex Cross enough said. Kathy Reichs is really good to her books are the Bones T.V series .Dan Brown weaves a great yarn his attention to detail is stunning. First Man was a great biography of Niel Armstrong. Keith Richards Bio was a great read and I'm not a big stones fan I am now after the book. Other good reads Flags Of Our Fathers,The World Is Flat,Planet Google,The Walmart Effect all very good. Dan Simmons Hyperion novels are well.... wow you would have to read one to explain. Anne McCaffery's Pern novels are a great read. If you want a change of pace The Walking Dead Graphic novels by Robert Kirkman are some of the best writing I've read in a long time. Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman write some great novels Death Gate Cycle and Dragonlance to name a few. I'm sure there are some more I will have to go through my library

An old book I revisited "They Call Me Mr. 500", the story of Andy Granitelli. First read it in High School, then just recently again. Just starting the Dodge Story too. Also A Day In The Life Of The Soviet Union...a photo essay of a single day by several photographers during the beginning of Glasnost. For fiction, currently reading the Presence series by Charity Becker. Her writing is darned good. I am a bit biased I think because I proof read her first in the series, Presence: The Awakening. It's about a girl named Mina who encounters several supernatural entities. A great twist on a genre.

R.A. Salvatore has a long series of books involving a dark elve named "DRIZZT", with a magical black panther. Great fantasy reading.

The first six "TARZAN" novels are great.

I have read several books on drivers, BILL ELLIOTT, TONY STEWART, DON GARDLETS, DARRELL WALTRIP, DALE SR, all good.

If you like jet fighters, DALE BROWN.

And , of course, "MODEL CARS!"

I finally got my library out of storage and have gone seriously geeky.

I tend to read several books in parallel. I'm almost finished with Magister Ludi by Herman Hesse for the 3rd time. I'm also reading Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness by Sharon Saltzberg and Information Architecture for the World Wide Web.

Just re-read Stephen King's 'From A Buick 8'- which upon revisiting does 'feel' a bit more like 'The Green Mile' than 'Christine 2'.

Also recently finished 'The Lost Ships of Robert Ballard' by Robert Ballard and Rick Archbold- which tells the stories of the ships and shipwrecks Dr. Ballard has explored. Of course it is loaded with vintage images of the ships, as well as photographs of the wreck sites, and more than a few paintings by Ken Marschall.

Next on the docket- 'The Physics of Star Trek' by Lawrence Krauss (a book I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to reading), 'Sasquatch- Legend Meets Science' byt Jeff Meldrum, and depending on how busy things get this winter, I might blow the dust off a few volumes of my old Time-Life 'Mysteries of the Unknown' series.

The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant". are Great books!

I just got around to reading Ghost Story By Jim Butcher: Poor Harry Has to Solve His own Murder and Findout who ordered it, while trying to help save his friends as a Ghost that only one person can see! Mean while his aprentice Who happens to his friend and retire Knight of The Cross's Daughter went wild when he was killed! I want say anymore except that it is a very GOOD Read. Can't wait for the next book in the series: Cold Days to be Released! I have read all of the Dresdin Files.

I also enjoyed His Fantacy Series!

If you like dark Fantacy Morcock's Eternal Champion books are very Good!

Another Good Read is Raymond Fiests Kingdom of the Isle Books: Poor Pug Keep losing Family Members, and has now Lost Miranda and Caleb during the Demon attack on Thir Villa on Sorcerer Isle and had to move into The Black Sorcerer's Castle!

I have Spent a lot of My time researching The History of the Arab Conquest in the 7th-10th Centries!