Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP '15 theme suggestions

Jantrix

Although there hasn't been any discussion on who's running it, I thought I'd post this up.

Every year since we've started this CBP, there has been a theme.

We've done, Anything Goes, Route 66, 1981 and older, and a few others.

What I'd like, is that if you are interested in participating, to suggest a theme that might be fun.

Some themes that we have kicked around before but haven't done yet are.

Cannonball Canada (vehicles that look like they'd perform well "off the paved roads")

Cannonball in the 21st Century (all cars 2000 or newer)

Muscle Car Cannonball (cars and equipment from 1964-1976)

Racing the Cannonball (only liveried race cars of any sort, but must be street legal)

The old stand-by theme "Anything Goes", is always a favorite so feel free to suggest it if that's what you want.

Throw out some suggestions, lets see what folks think. Thanks very much.

I like any of those suggestions.

Also some ideas are:

Compact Cannonball - cars with a 1:1 wheelbase shorter than xxx inches. (cant think of that magic number at the moment.. but going away from luxobarges and big muscle cars)

Colossal Cannonball - Cars with a 1:1 wheelbase over XXX inches (for big luxobarges and big muscle cars!)

One I've kicked around for a couple years...

Cannonball Place to Place - Any car named after a physical location, be it planet earth or otherwise. When you think about it the list is almost endless. Plymouth, Pontiac, Mercury, Riviera, Torino, Galaxie (sp), Saratoga, Talladega, Daytona, Bonneville, Lincoln, Bel Air, Corolla (NC), Fairlane (TN), Mustang (TX), Eldorado, Fleetwood (Lancashire and GA), Vega, bays, deserts, isles, mountains, planets, (streets?) etc, etc. If you have a model you want to build but are unsure if there is a locale with that name, type it into a mapping or weather site and see if the name comes up.

The down side is it would almost be as broad as the "anything goes" theme we're just coming off of.

Edited by Lunajammer

"Anything goes" becomes "any-model-I-happen-to-be-building-now" for too many without a lot of thought about actually running a cannonball.

I prefer some limits that require a bit of research and thought - so time frames, technology limits, etc...

My favorite was the 1962 American Graffiti run.

I like a "smaller than 8 cylinder" run idea.

"Anything goes" becomes "any-model-I-happen-to-be-building-now" for too many without a lot of thought about actually running a cannonball.

This is true. We've had some entrants in vehicles that could never actually finish a Cannonball, but it's all in good fun, and we've never had one of those models win the CBP so it has never been an issue. The voters are excellent at picking the right racer.

Edit: Here's another idea.

As some of you know, Brock Yates (the originator of the Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash) isn't doing well, suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

How about a race theme of 1972 (only vehicles/equipment 1972 and older) commemorating the last time he and Dan Gurney won the Cannonball?

Edited by Jantrix

Rob's idea of the 1972 theme sounds excellent to me. No one could turn old Classics ugly with big wheels or modern engines... :lol: (Just kidding of course, but you know I don't like those...).

I really liked the Pre '62 Cannonball, too.

72 works for me but are we going to police things like wheels and engines or say as long as the base car is pre '73 it's OK?

I do like the idea of Whacky Races as well as Junkers/Rat Rods/Basket Cases (Basketball?)

And how about Zombie/Post Apocalyptic/Death Race 2000 Cannonball, Demolition Derby Cannonball (no weapons but rams, spikes and roo bars allowed), Vannonball, Wagonball, Fourdoorball or Dodgeball?

2015 is also the 60th anniversary of the small block chevy. Anything goes as long as its powered by an SBC?

Plain Brown Wrapper/Poverty Pack Cannonball.

Anything goes under the skin but from the outside it must look like the base model. So six pack Dusters must look like they're running a slant and no Porsches unless they're rebodied with a Beetle shell.

Steelies (albeit super deep dish) and dog dishes rather than mags, plain paint and keep all your power adders under the hood.