Model Cars Magazine Forum

My latest, my own Camaro

mikelo

I was trying to get some practice in, so I decided to try this one. The markers started to bleed a little on this one. I really have to figure out how to do the digital stuff. I am working on the rear view now.

69camarofront.jpg

The digital way is tons of fun, but the hand-drawn stuff is really nice. It has that certain look that's almost impossible to create digitally. Even with a drawing tablet, the subleties of a hand-drawn illustration are hard to recreate...so why not draw it by hand in the first place!!! 8)

Thanks Harry. I would just love to reproduce one that looks as good as the original. It would also be nice to not have to worry about smudging (or bleeding), and an even color would be great.

Harry, if you read this, do you use that wacum (forgive the spelling) pad? I have seen and heard you need one to do this type of work, but Iam doing some work for a printing company where they don't have one. Most of there stuff is manipulated photos, but I am sure they would have to drawing some thing some time. Just wondered if this would help me on the computer.

When I first started doing illustration digitally I tried a Wacom tablet, but I didn't like it. I never got used to the disconnect between "drawing" on the tablet in one place and your work appearing at another place (the screen). I'm sure that if I had given it some time I would have gotten used to it, but I decided right off (right or wrong) that the tablet wasn't for me.

I went back to the mouse, and now I've gotten so used to doing things that way that I'll never go back to a tablet again. However, that's not to say they're not any good...just not my thing. It's all about what you yourself feel comfortable with and are used to. You might like the tablet. If you have a chance to try one out sometime, I'd say definitely give it a shot.

That being said, though, I still think that the hand-drawn look is terrific. Why try to recreate that look digitally when you can create it the "real way"?

My style is photo-realistic, so Photoshop allows me to do things much easier than doing them by hand. With Photoshop I don't have to mix paint, apply and cut frisket masks, clean out my airbrush, worry about paint bleeding under the frisket, or ever run out of a color. But if I were to do an illustration in your freeflowing, hand-drawn style (which I have done many times in the past), I'd ditch the computer and do it by hand!

Digital is definitely worth a try. But don't give up on the hand-drawn stuff.

You can always rob a bank and buy one of the 2-3K tablet monitors!!!!

Those are incredible

Kind of what the new PC (ugh) Tablets are like now.

You can draw right on the image.

There is a new MacBook conversion that is supposed to fantastic, about 2K for the base model.

Very cool drawing!!!!

Now, BUILD IT!!!!

Thanks for the kind words Harry. The hand drawn will be my main thing for now. I will definatly try the digital also. Can't have too many toys in the box.

Gregg- Your not joking about the price. Even those Wacom tablets arent' cheap. By the way, the finished car is in the "Under Glass" section. :P