Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Mercedes SLS AMG

I bought recently this kit, soon after the purchase I opened the box and the first word that came out of my lips was WOW. Seriously, Revell nailed it with this kit. The engraved detail looks awesome and the molds are very crisp. I had my ranting and raving over Revell in the last couple of years, but they are serious working to make nice kits.

The fit seems to be really nice as well, but the build needs to show whether it is that nice. But I got so excited over the kit that I started right away, I never do that.

The typical Revell box-art. Nice.

sls001.jpg

A quick dry-fit, the doors are a bit warped, but Revell included placement-pins, so the doors will close snuggly

sls002.jpg

sls003.jpg

The engraved details of the enginebay are visible and I think it looks quite nice.

sls004.jpg

There is a tiny little bit of flash on the molds, but nothing very serious

sls005.jpg

sls006.jpg

The next modelbuilder in queu (he likes to watch Daddy, but I don't allow him in the modellingroom when I am painting or glueing)

sls007.jpg

All the parts that needs to be prepped for it's color.

sls008.jpg

Scribed panellines just look so much better than just being painted with a marker.

sls009.jpg

Edited by The Creative Explorer

sls010.jpg

And the same for the sides

sls011.jpg

sls012.jpg

This model has fought me ever since I started on the body, for some reason, the paints keeps reacting with the body and I had to reprime the body 3 times.

Finally, today after 2 months, I was able to have a decent primer on the body and could paint the body in it's colours. I used Gulf-Blue for the basecoat and I used Gulf-Champagne for the contrasting color.

sls013.jpg

sls014.jpg

sls015.jpg

sls016.jpg

Soon I will clearcoat the body and start on the engine and interior.

Work got continued in the last couple of days, I worked mostly on the interior. I didn't know what to do with the colors of the interior, until I played a little bit with colors and came with a interesting color-scheme.

When I looked through the bags of the kit, I noticed the bag of tyres, which didn't seemed to be right.

sls017.jpg

They are quite wide, slicky and small for a SLS. So I wrote a e-mail to Department X of Revell, I assume the right tires will come soon.

sls018.jpg

Back to the interior; this is a mock-up. I had some problems with flocking, using the regular ways. I just couldn't get a nice even finish. So I decided to figure a way for myself and appearantly it worked. I am quite happy with it, but next time I want to do a little bit better of a job.

Personally I like how the colors came out, It does something to the interior.

I also noticed in this picture that I need to give the seats an extra coat, they look uneven to me. I don't see it in person in natural light, but if the camera can catch it.....

sls019.jpg

sls020.jpg

sls021.jpg

Paint looks Cool.

Interior is looking mighty fine too.

Maybe they just sent you racing slicks? :D

If not, Aoshima, Fujimi and Tamiya have many wheel/tire sets to choose from :rolleyes:

Guess I'll go check my AMG For tires.

Yup, Mine came with the right tires.

Edited by RodneyBad

@Rodney; The Department X of Revell has a very good reputation, so I am not worried. I've actually been there last month and they are very nice guys over there. I also got myself a whole bag of 1/12 parts.

I was also looking at a different set of wheels for the SLS, but wasnt sure just yet. Still thinking of what to do.

@Luis; Thanks. I hope this one won't take too long.

I haven't been able to do this, a third update within a week. I decided today was a nice day to clearcoat a few projects, so I got everything prepped and tried to work on getting rid of the dust. I did had some problems with dust particles and today's 'batch' had a lot less problems with it. The Mercedes got also his clearcoat, so I can work on it soon again. Things go quite fast actually and I don't mind it at all

Nice glosssy, just the way I like it

sls022.jpg

sls023.jpg

Unfortunately, 2 particles in the clearcoat

sls024.jpg

The back-side

sls025.jpg

And the batch that got it's clearcoat, now I can finish a few more soon.

sls026.jpg

Hey Skip,

You might be right, I used Burnt Umber from Vallejo ModelAir. Not sure if they carry that over in The States.

When I applied it, I sprayed it directly on the plastic without primer (no need by Vallejo) and basically sprayed in 1-2 coats. Basically continually spraying, but turning the part whilst spraying with the airbrush. I hope this helps.

Hey Skip,

You might be right, I used Burnt Umber from Vallejo ModelAir. Not sure if they carry that over in The States.

When I applied it, I sprayed it directly on the plastic without primer (no need by Vallejo) and basically sprayed in 1-2 coats. Basically continually spraying, but turning the part whilst spraying with the airbrush. I hope this helps.

I noticed while looking at your photos of the seats that the variations in the color are not consistent from picture to picture, & since you said that it isn't noticeable in person I bet what we are seeing is just light reflections & some shadowing that is showing up in film. Keep up the good work, a great build.

Yes, it is basically shadows, but when you look under certain lights, it can be seen. So I think if you did lighter coats, you get the effect that will be able to be seen.

I have been working on the interior mostly and tried a dryfit a couple days ago, to see how the colors would match and the overall fit, I must say, I am pleased. The colors look nice with the body and the fit giving by Revell is perfect.

sls027.jpg

sls028.jpg

I like how the parcelshelf looks, it gives a nice finish to the model.

sls029.jpg

Revell included molded in grills with the side- and bonnetvents. It doesn't look all too bad, but I saw room for improvement.

sls030.jpg

So I cut the fins from the grill and slimmed them. Even though I could've done a better job, I think it does look better than what Revell included in the kit.

sls031.jpg

I did the same for the hood, left Revell, right me. (yeah I know, I should've wiped the hood before I took the photo)

sls032.jpg

I painted the top of the door-sills, gives it a finished touch

sls033.jpg

More interior parts painted.

sls034.jpg

Filled the sink-holes and sanded it, off to the airbrush

sls035.jpg

I was able to glue the rear-bumper to the body, means that we are getting closer to the end.

sls036.jpg

Bedankt Zander!

When I wanted to paint the rear-light lenses red, I noticed that Revell 'forgot' to engrave the parts that needed to be left white. I tried to solve that problem with some masking tape, unfortunately it didnt work out the way I wanted it to and I had to order new parts from Revell.

sls038.jpg

So I continued with the interior, the headliner got some BMF to represent the domelights

sls039.jpg

And getting it into the car was a husle, but with some persuation by clothespins, the headliner went it ok.

sls040.jpg

Work continued on the chassis, most of these parts will never be seen again, so I didn't took a lot of effort in cleaning up the parts.

sls041.jpg

The radiator got some shades of black, to give it a bit more depth.

sls042.jpg

sls043.jpg

The interior nears completion as well, seats are installed, together with the pedals.

sls044.jpg

The wheelwells got glued to the chassis

sls045.jpg

And the plastic-cover on top of the engine got glued on.

sls046.jpg

I made some golf-clubs to add into the interior.

sls047.jpg

@Harry, thanks!. I am also quite happy with how the interior turned out. To be honest, I was more worried about how that paint-scheme would turn out, then the exterior. But with like most paint-jobs, it is all so personal. And I believe it doesn't misfit the Mercedes. But I respect your opinion as well.

@Aaron, Thanks, I thought it would've been a nice addition to the car. When you read about the latest supercars, there seems to be a line with every car that states whether the car can hold a golfbag or not.

And when I was working on final assembly, I noticed a blotch on the driverside door. I tried to peel it off with a toothpick, but apparantly it was some glue. How it got there? I have no clue, but I peeled of my paint as well. Now there were 2 options, let it be, but it is disturbing, or go extensive and try to repair it. I decided on the latter.

sls051.jpg

sls052.jpg

So sanding was necessary

sls053.jpg

Together with some putty

sls054.jpg

And after a couple of hours of work, I got the paint back on. I hope to clearcoat the car tomorrow.

sls055.jpg

Work is slowly coming to a halt. I reached the point of where I can't go any further. Basically the car is done, I only have to wait if Revell sends me some new taillights. When they arrive, I can finish up in the back and the car is done.

The door got repaired nicely, looks a lot better than with a mistake in it.

sls056.jpg

The tires didn't really fit nice, if you look to the tire left, you can see some extra rubber on the inside, this makes a bad fit for the tires on the wheel. The solution is to cut out a ring of rubber from the inside.

sls057.jpg

After the tires arrived and I made them fit, I could fit them underneath the car. It starts to look there is a end in sight.

sls058.jpg

sls059.jpg

I painted the inside of the wheels in the body-color, to give it something extra

sls060.jpg

And so far it sits, I did put some numberplates on and got the mirrors on the door, other than that, it is waiting for the rear-lights.

sls061.jpg

• 3 years later...