Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Ford Sunliner Mild Custom! DONE 10/25/15!

John Goschke

This project is moving along again after I finally decided on a grill treatment using a piece from a vintage Aurora Custom Grill & Trim parts pack that featured, among others, a "drawer pull" style grill with little squares that looked like an oversized '58 Buick grill. With the background blacked-out the chrome squares seem to float in the opening.

58CustomGrill_6-vi.jpg

SunlineGrill2-vi.jpg

SunlineGrill4-vi.jpg

The bumpers were rechromed by Dale Horner. The rear bumper is actually from a Revell '59 Skyliner retractable hardtop kit. Big bullet taillight lens came from the '50 Ford ragtop kit I think, and are fit into the drilled-out stock housings. Bullet backup lights are cut-down from AMT '57 Ford custom parts. '54 Olds Fiesta-style caps are from the Roth issue of the Revell '56 Ford pickup.

59FordTaillights2-vi.jpg

The interior uses Revell Skyliner side panels adapted to the original AMT interior along with a Revel Skyliner steering wheel on an AMT '57 Ford steering column that more closely resembles the real part.

SunlineInter5-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

Gorgeous photos...

1st and foremost !

2nd is the unchromed part of the front bumper(near wheel well)body color.

(wished I'd known that when I built my '59 Wagon)

3rd...wish I had your stash of vintage parts

Thanks for posting John

Got a soft spot for vintage kit Kustoms

Edited by Joker

John this is looking just great. I absolutely love the mild custom look. I've got 2 of those custom grille parts packs that I've used the tooth grilles from in the past. The one you used looks great with the background blackwashed. I'll definitely be using that on a future build. I'll also try using the tube or bar grilles with the background blackwashed in the future. Thanks for the fabulous ideas.

John,

That one is beautiful!!! I have a '59 Galaxie Hardtop that is in line for restoration. Back in the day, My uncle had a '59 Galaxie 4-door Hardtop, which was Black, with the Red/Black/White interior. I am seriously considering convertiting the two door to a 4-door, and doing that car. Unlike my father, he always left his cars the way they came from the dealer, whereas my dad and his other brother always personalized their cars, with wheel trim, akirts, and a tail-dragger stance.

Thanks, Ron!

The conversion to four-door hardtop (aka "Town Victoria") should be relatively easy since the four-door and two-door used the same roof stamping. The four-door just has that little chrome-trimmed kick-up into the C-pillar. I think the upholstery pattern is even the same, except for a non-folding front seat.

You are absolutely right John. That '59 is one of the earliest cars of my family's I remember. I built my dad's '60 Bonneville convertible twice, one on an original SMP, which was true to his car, and the Trumpeter, which I re-did the interior to the Factory pattern, except that I left the skirts and the 4-bar Lancers off, and added a set of 8-lugs on the Trumpeter, and I built my other uncle's '60 Sunliner, as when he first got it. My grandfather had a turquoise '60 Mercury Monterey 4-door hardtop, which I may do from a Mercury Park Lane 2-Door I have.

I love those old 1960 cars.

I've always admired your model-building skills but also your photography.

I'm just now taking my first photos of my models and hope to post soon but my shots will have to improve first.

I wonder if you would mind describing your photo set-up, camera settings, lighting etc.

I'm just now taking my first photos of my models and hope to post soon but my shots will have to improve first.

I wonder if you would mind describing your photo set-up, camera settings, lighting etc.

Thanks, Peekay! I use a Nikon digital SLR with an 18-70mm zoom lens for most shots, including these. Occasionally I'll use a macro closeup lens to highlight the detail of some small part, but try to avoid that because it unmercifully shows every little imperfection that would otherwise be invisible under normal model viewing conditions. The camera is mounted on a tripod and I use a remote shutter release, with the camera set to auto-focus with aperture-priority so I can use the smallest possible lens opening for the best depth of field. The background is a large sheet (23x40) of heavy white paper I received as a sample for a graphic design project. It has an interesting embossed rib surface. One of the narrow edges of the paper is tacked to the wall above my display case and the sheet is draped over the top of the case to create a seamless backdrop. I have two stand-mounted photo flood lights for main lighting that have white drafting vellum taped loosely over the front of shades to diffuse the light somewhat. No flash is used and the tripod and remote shutter release are a must with the relatively long exposure needed. All the photo files are processed and adjusted in Adobe Photoshop.

Hope that helps! I'm sure others have simpler solutions to good photos.

One other very nice thing about 1959 Fords: Whether you have a PMC (wagon, Ranchero), AMT (hardtop or convertible) or Revell (Skyliner) model, all the parts interchange very well. (Five different body styles of the same year and make, at the same time? Must be a record...)

Yeah, Chris, I've always found that interesting and wondered whether Ford somehow kept a much closer rein on the design approval and control process and perhaps PMC, AMT, and Revell all may have used a common master pattern. Whatever the process it sure went out the window the following year with the much different interpretations of the 1960 designs from Hubley and AMT!

This already looks cool and there isn't even any paint on it yet! Can't wait to see what you do with this one John! I'll be taking notes as I have 1960 Lincoln Mark V convertible that I plan on giving the custom treatment to.

This already looks cool and there isn't even any paint on it yet! Can't wait to see what you do with this one John! I'll be taking notes as I have 1960 Lincoln Mark V convertible that I plan on giving the custom treatment to.

You mean something like this?????

MamaMeetingApril272013006_zpsc422769f.jp

Edited by Ron Hamilton