Model Cars Magazine Forum

Minicraft AC 289 Cobra rebuild updated 10-8

cobraman

As a lot of you know I collect Cobra kits. I am always checking ebay to see if one pops up I don't have. I found a mint one of these on ebay and bought it. It should be here soon. Anway, when I saw it I remembered the one I had in my collection was not a good example. I pulled it out and saw it was well on it's way to being assembled. I have so far carefully taken it partially apart but have more to go. My plan is to rebuild it so I can place it in one of my Cobra cabinets. Not trying to do a show winner but rather just a nice clean model. Who ever was working on it was using some type of rubber cement in parts that will need to be cleaned up.

minicraftcobra001_zps9922eb3f.jpg

Edited by cobraman

I got the body cleaned up best I could and have it in primer. There was some tough rubber type of glue used by whoever started this kit. Tough to get some of it apart. Left the hood and trunk lid attached because I know I would have broken the hinges if I tried to remove them.

Making some headway on this glue bomb. What was done by the former owner was all done pretty poorly. Doing my best to save it. It will not be any contest winner but I will be happy if it come out good enough for one of the cabinets. Body has been primed and painted and cleared. Chassis has been repaired and is back together. I stripped some of the chrome parts and painted them black.

workbenchcobra001_zps23a9aa37.jpg

workbenchcobra002_zpsf26185b4.jpg

whoa hold up theres a 1/25 427 cobra out there? I'm in. Gotta get me another 289 cobra then and replace my 289 bodied 428(gt500 engined) shelby blue crew member with it and a 427 kit. Hope this one turns out good for ya Ray.

post-11343-0-05008100-1411555207_thumb.j These kits (1/25) copies of the old AMT 1/25 289 slab side transverse leaf spring cobra with a '427ish body. :huh: