Model Cars Magazine Forum

flame on, 49 Merc

brett

Decided I wanted a merc with a nice set of traditional styled flames on it. Painted the black a few months ago and left it to sit, Got it back out last Monday gone and applied a "Lazy Modeller" mask on it and got busy with the airbrush. 1st was a light grey primer over the black, then a self mixed banana/cream base which for some reason spat and hissed out of the gun,Applied a gold base coat over the worst of the spits and applied candy yellow then a candy orange and finally a candy red,Since the gun seemed to be behaving itself I blended the front in a little better with more of the cream color. Gave it a light clear and removed the mask. Gave the whole car a light coat then a slight wet coat then 20 minutes later 2 wet coats straight after each other of Duplicolor rattle can clear. these pics are how it turned out, I'll give it a light wetsand and polish over the weekend.

DSCF3844_zpsdd6f76bb.jpg

DSCF3843_zps026d705f.jpg

DSCF3842_zps36586457.jpg

DSCF3841_zpsc720a230.jpg

Edited by brett

Very nice!

If you want to try some different flame patterns and not pay for them, bring up flame patterns on your smart phone, zoom in/out to get the size you desire, then lay a piece of clear plastic over your phone and trace with a fine tip sharpie or what ever brand fine tip permanent pen you have. Then you lay some white masking tape (that you can trace through) on the plastic with the flames, cut out the design with a new hobby blade and go to town with your free mask.

I have to say, the Crazy Modeler masks are superb in that you get nice crisp lines and professional finish.

Edited by rsxse240

you dont see a lot of flames on models like this , because its just BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH hard to get it right and you did the merc and with those shapes in the front , that just turned out perfect and like whoouuwwww

i'm not a real big flame guy myself .. hate it on rods .. but on a merc done right its awsoem and you did it perfect > love it

thanks guys, got the interior mostly done, chassis done along with engine. Polished the body and painted the whitewall inserts an off white color to tie on to the car a bit better.

DSCF3864_zps1a7acae9.jpg

they still look more white in pics than in person so will give them a slightly darker coat tomorrow

DSCF3887_zps5d6006af.jpg

DSCF3892_zpse0f7047e.jpg

DSCF3894_zps98c794ab.jpg

cheers guys, just got the lake pipes and part of the exhaust to go (yeah I forgot to install it, so I'll just re engineer it so I can get it on). wasnt so much a forgot just ddin't think about the lakes (installed last) being capped with exhaust fumes having no place to go. Anyways :)

DSCF3910_zpsad6793a4.jpg

DSCF3913_zpsde27216e.jpg

DSCF3914_zpsfd3f6b31.jpg

DSCF3921_zps65ee8b19.jpg

tidied up the back lights too since pics

DSCF3917_zps7b52951f.jpg

I really wish that you would do something about that ugly thing that always seems to show up on the roofs of your builds when you photograph them ........ Lmao ! Very nice work , buddy !

The Old Man

just be glad its half behind the camera and not a full view ya cheeky bugger !! :lol: :lol: Thanks Donn.

And Thanks to all who took the time to comment :D . I'll have it up in under glass very soon.