Model Cars Magazine Forum

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 7/7/17 Replaced photos fron Fotki

Foxer

EDIT: 2/14/15 Think my painting has advanced enough to get this black one done. Just some updates with other wip here but hope to have some photos soon. All additions today here are in red.

It seems most of my model subjects in recent times have been of my real life cars. I've been very successful in finding kits close enough to convert to the ones that sat in my garage. Just to fill space and bore you all, completed to date is a '53 VW Bug, 77 Porsche 924, 87 Porsche 944 (normally aspirated engine converted from a turbo is my avatar) and my wife's 68 VW Bug and 91 Subaru Legacy wagon and her '95 Legacy wagon. Since I have you here... in my basement bodyshop are my 91 Porsche 944S2, '81 Porsche 924 Turbo, '84 Porsche 944, 69 VW Bug, 51 Plymouth Cranbrook, Triumph TR4A (bah it's 1/32) (but also started a 1/24 resin one!), 67 Pontiac Tempest, 59 Chevy Impala and wife's 95 Subaru Legacy Wagon. Oh yes .. my Dad's 56 VW Kombi Bus and '92 Crown Victoria are almost done too. AND ... I FINISHED my daughter's '85 GMC Van since this thread was last updated .. wow .. I finished something! eheh. I also started doing a diecast of her '83 Plymouth Reliant.

P7152618

Previous to my current G37 Coupe, I had a 2003 G35 Infiniti 6MT Coupe. This Fujimi Nissan Skyline 350 GT Coupe is of the Japanese version of the American G35. The only differences are the Nissan badging and right-hand drive. The kit is typical Fujimi quality with the body proportions matching the real one perfectly as my eyes see it.

I found an Infiniti J30t kit by Aoshima that had PE Infiniti logos and solved most of my logo needs. The dash is very symmetrical and was an easy conversion.

Here's the start:
DashBefore DSC 4873

Sliced and diced ..ready for the switch..
Dash ReadyForSwitchDSC 8728

In place and ready for sanding and putty
DashInPlace DSC 8774

DashBack DSC 8775

Done
DashDoneDSC 8828

The fragile body gave me untold start and stops as it snapped and broke during body work. This image gives an indication of the trials I went through with just the front end!
G35 FrontEndCracking DSC7955

The greatest challenge to my skills was the optional rear wing on my car but not on the model. So I had to fab one out of sheet styrene and putty.

Real G35 wing

Wing base and shim DSC 4867

WingMounted2 DSC 4870

G35 white DSC6396
Wing Rear sml DSC 8900
So here it sits in it's present state.. a few other projects have waylayed the completion...
G35 DSC 8903

G35 Wing DSC 8898

Edited by Foxer

WOW.....that is amazing.I to have not seen to many succesful conversions to the american side.great looking wing and dash work.....I to am interested in seeing your project done.keep us up to date.one of the problems....at least for me is when it is done.I don't want it around any more.so my fun is....the build.good luck,Chris

WOW.....that is amazing.I to have not seen to many succesful conversions to the american side.great looking wing and dash work.....I to am interested in seeing your project done.keep us up to date.one of the problems....at least for me is when it is done.I don't want it around any more.so my fun is....the build.good luck,Chris

Thanks, Nova.

Dash conversions totally depend on the symmetry of the dash. It's surprising how many are pretty easy to switch the dash cluster with the glove box area. I try to cut the same size and shape from each side. A Subaru Legacy wagon also required this and was about the same job. It's something you usually don't have in mind when admiring a dash, but when you look, many will work.

Unfortunately, most of the kits I've built are Japan market only, so they never have a left hand drive dash.

Here's a couple pics of another conversion needed on a 95 Subaru Legacy Wagon, one of my wife's cars. This one was also pretty simple to do. It was an Aoshima kit of the GT Touring Wagon. These GT's always have a raised roof .. don't think cars with this feature are imported to the US. So, this requires slicing and lowering the roof flush.. a nerve-wracking job with the delicate roof pillars!

95LegacyDashFront_DSC9811.jpg

Underside:

95LegacyDash_DSC9813.jpg

Edited by Foxer

Hey Foxer :D

Glad to see your sticking around and posting. ;)

These are great build's of your's. Love all the detaily stuff and converting.

Very nice work - dave

I's kinds a likes it round these heres parts. This feels more like a family than a forum.

I have to get some old builds up to introduce me more. It's been a few years since I've completed anything, but working hard at it. Thing is, the graceful attitude here makes me feel welcome to post some of my less than stellar builds even with the extremely skillful builders here. You all make everyone feel welcome!

Now, let me bow down to you, Dave. ))

• 3 years later...

Sorry to hijack your thread but do you have a build thread or some pics of that 944. I've been wanting to build a replica of the 85 944 non turbo my dad bought for my mom last year, I have a can of the paint already mixed up, but I can't find a non turbo (which isn't that big of a deal) but I do need to find a kit that has the rubber pads on the front and rear bumpers.

Hey Mike! Dig this one out and finish it already!

I did ... it's washed and sitting in front of me waiting for some paint tomorrow! :) You DID inspire me, Chuck, with your Infiniti. Will be my 2nd attempt for a glossy black on it.

Edited by Foxer

Sorry to hijack your thread but do you have a build thread or some pics of that 944. I've been wanting to build a replica of the 85 944 non turbo my dad bought for my mom last year, I have a can of the paint already mixed up, but I can't find a non turbo (which isn't that big of a deal) but I do need to find a kit that has the rubber pads on the front and rear bumpers.

I'm afraid I never took any photos as I was building the 944. I assume you've seen the Under Glass of it, but I put a link anyway. There are no non-turbo 944 kits. It's mostly the intake plumbing that needs to be built and my explanation is all I have. I'd be happy to answer any question you have, though. Just PM me about anything.

And .. not a hijack .. since they're both mine! :D

Edited by Foxer

Sandy didn't do any damage overnight but Storm Foxer was full force . :( I was on 2nd coat to finish and hadn't taped the coat hanger to the body .. dumb, dumb dumb! Looks like the body hit the left front corner, the site of 4 previous breaks, when it hit the concrete floor. There was a lot of dust bunnies that had to be wiped off with thinner also. Back to the body shop and some brass strips looks like. :(

Paint drop damage DSC 0943

Edited by Foxer

Hmmmm.... build it as-is and plop it down on the back of a Jada International Durastar rollback?

Seriously though- that sucks! But hey- that's kind of the risk you take. Nothing bad happens if you don't work on it, right? If you don't work on it, just plain nothing happens!