Model Cars Magazine Forum

been thinking about this for a while

diymirage

hey guys and girl

heres a thought i've had rolling in my head for a while...how bout a hotwheels build?

the idea is simple enough, you go out and buy a hotwheels car, or pick one from your stash (no point denying it, i know we all have them)

then you go out and buy a model kit from the same car in 1/24 or 1/25 and replicate the hotwheels

here is what i like about the idea...every skill level is included in this, some hotwheels are are simple to replicate as getting the paint right while others use box wheels and are scratchbuild from there up

the ground rules

* the hotwheel car

any hotwheels ERTL or any other brand 1/64 scale model car will due

it can be a replica of a real car or one of thier one off designs (look at the image for a quick idea of whats all out there)

the hotwheel car has to be in your possesion (so that you can see what your building and we can see the hotwheel and the finished model on display together)

* the model car

lets keep this build restricted to 1/24 and 1/25 scale, that should cover 90 % of our members so most everyone can join in

the model car may be build any way you want as long as it looks like the hotwheel

if there are details in the hotwheel we expect to see them in the model you build, a set of rims, a HEMI or a chrome steering wheel, if it in the hotwheel put it in the model

if your hotwheel car does not have an opening hood you can build the model as a curbide but you are encouraged to ad detail as you feel the car demands (for instance, the 71 dodge charger has 440 calouts on the hood (which doesnt open) and so if you want to put a 440 in there that would be great (a hemi would be out of place though) so add detail as the hotwheels steers you

* the build

runtime for this build will be just over 4 months, starting today and ending on october 24th.

any member who wants to enter can post here and i will ad their name to the list at the bottom of this post.

lest keep this limited to new build so before you start your build post a picture of the hotwheels and the fresh kit you are using

lets keep all progress in this thread so this thread stays alive and we dont flood the forum with double posts

as soon as the first model is finished i will start a "under glass" post for all the finished models, proudly displayed next to thier smaller predecesor

once your model is finished post it in that same under glass thread (for reasons mentioned before) and if you feel so inclined you are allowed to send the model to me (what a coincedende this CBP ends on my birthday)

* the builders

1 Master Modeller : 1971 dodge charger

2 Jairus : 68 dodge deora redline

3 discospud : custom volkswagen beetle

4 diymirage : 67 plymouth GTX

anyone interested ?

untitled.jpg

Edited by diymirage

Slammer, curbside or full detail? at least as much detail as there is in the hot wheel (i know there is some the have tinted glass so no interior detail) of course this leaves plenty up the the imagination since all the underhood detail is yours to decide

What scale? 1/24 or 1/25 would cover probably 95 % of the members on here so lets keep it at that

Mail in or photo? if you are so inclined feel free to mail the model to me but for ease of entry and sharing we'll work with electronic pictures so the entire forum can enjoy this build

Boxers or briefs? its been 90 plus degrees here all week, i dont know about you but im going comando

Do we need the original car present? mhhh, im going to say yes, just so we all have our inspiration right there and we can take those ever so cool pictures of the model and the hotwheels side by side

Deadline? it seems to me a lot of CBP die because of too long of a deadline, on the other hand, a lot of members dont even join in because they think they can not finish a build if the deadline is to short....taking all this into consideration....4 months ? so october 24th B)

*can you tell I like this one.... <ahttp://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_cool.png' alt='B)'> yes...it shows

thanks for all the interest guys

im ready to start adding names to the list and putting in some extra info in the main post

I have picked out my inpiration. A '71 Charger. 440, Torqueflite. Rallye Wheels on Polyglas Tires. It will have to wait as I have to order the kit from Model Roundup and I will have to get my Shelby finished and off the bench.

just a heads up concerning the decals on that kit/car

first of all, if you have the 09 hotwheel of this car the stripe is incorrect

the actual car had the stripe run along the back panels, over the door and just hit the back end of the front fenders, then it would make a sharp 90 and run across the hood to return to the back end of the car on the other side

the hotwheel car has a single stripe on each side the runs bumper to bumper and never crosses over the hood so that would be something to pay attention too

a second point of attention is the black decal on the hood

this decal surrounds the black hoodvent but the clear part (where the vent goes) is not cut out.

in order to make this decal lay down nice you need to trim that center out so it falls around the vent and not over it (just like the real thing)

just a heads up concerning the decals on that kit/car

first of all, if you have the 09 hotwheel of this car the stripe is incorrect

the actual car had the stripe run along the back panels, over the door and just hit the back end of the front fenders, then it would make a sharp 90 and run across the hood to return to the back end of the car on the other side

the hotwheel car has a single stripe on each side the runs bumper to bumper and never crosses over the hood so that would be something to pay attention too

a second point of attention is the black decal on the hood

this decal surrounds the black hoodvent but the clear part (where the vent goes) is not cut out.

in order to make this decal lay down nice you need to trim that center out so it falls around the vent and not over it (just like the real thing)

The yellow Hotwheels, yes I know.

yeah, i just noticed the chrome on mine (its green but the interior is the same)

it would look best if you could allclad it but thats a lot to allclad and i dont even know if you have an airbrush

if i were you i would make it a silver interio with aluminum, BMF and white accents

(but all chrome would be the most accurate)

Here is my car. The original 1968 cars were painted from green to gold and I have also seen some a dark brown or teal color. (I do not count the re-pops that came out around 2000)

The original 1/1 car built by the Alexander Brothers was painted gold. But my first Deora purchased in 1969 was a beautiful "Antifreeze" lime green. Which is the color I would prefer to paint this project. Unfortunately, that car is long gone... so the only Deora I now have is Gold. So be it.... my build will be gold to match.

Gold_Deora-vi.jpg

B)

yeah, i just noticed the chrome on mine (its green but the interior is the same)

it would look best if you could allclad it but thats a lot to allclad and i dont even know if you have an airbrush No I Don't

if i were you i would make it a silver interio with aluminum, BMF and white accents

(but all chrome would be the most accurate)

Oh cuz, I was thinking Black with yellow insterts. Woodgrain dash and console.

Edited by Master Modeller

I've been thinking about doing models of some of my childhood favorite Hot Wheels for a long time now, but unfortunately I've lost track of where the cars are, having moved several times since I left the nest. I'm sure they're around someplace, but as to just where I don't have a clue. High on my list were the first-generation "Custom Nomad" (the one with the opening hood) in light green metallic and the "Custom 442" in purple metallic with the black plastic wing on the decklid, a white interior, and white stripes with royal blue stars on them. Corvair nut that I am, I could always bail and do one of the many versions of the recent "Vairy-8", but that would entail chroming the interior and I don't have an airbrush for the Alclad work. Since this build is open to other brand 1:64 cars as well, there's always the Johnny Lightning 1962 and 1963 Corvairs from a few years ago. I have some old built-ups that I could restore to replicate one of them. I have all of these 1:64 Corvairs in my collection.

Jairus, that first paintscheme does sound nice...maybe there is one to be found on the evilbay for cheap ?

either way, im looking forward to seeing how this turns out

Brandon, its still your model, i just told you how i think it would best represent the hotwheels but unless you plan on mailing it to me onces its done its going on your shelf so build it like you deem best

Jim, my boy has a 2009 or so custom 442 in a purle/green colour, but without the stripes, its a ncie little car

i dont supose you have a strip version of the corvair you'd like to replicate do you (wink wink)

Sean, thanks for the link :unsure:

I looked and cheap doesn't exist anymore with regard to redlines. I have a nice gold example with both surf boards and little use. That is what I will build since spending $50 for a nice antifreeze copy seems to be just a little too much for this project after buying the MPC re-pop kit.

Gold_Deora-vi.jpg

:)

Jairus, I too have that exact same Hot Wheel in my collection! Funny enough that I also had a antifreeze Deora back in '68 when they were new. :D

What's hard to find are the '69 Chargers (I have one), and the white painted "Heavyweights" without the paint cracking. My favorite Hot Wheel of all time is the "Sand Crab" in which I have a couple mint originals.

Edited by MrObsessive