Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fabulous 50's Community build

Nick Winter

I got to thinking about this today and thought, this might just be some fun for the guys around here who like building those old Tri-Five Chevy's and those other finned 50's cars, I'm guilty of wanting to build a few oldies myself.

So this brings us to this point in time, the guide lines/ rules:

1.)It has to be Detroit Iron (domestic vehicles, sorry JDM guys, just seems these old tanks don't get much attention)

2.)Engines can be V8 or V6 only, these can be inline/straight, or OHV

3.)Vehicles can be built as they would appear by 1960 or brand new if built within 1950-1959

4.)Entrants, please leave your name and vehicle choice

5.)Vehicles can be built in any style as long as the parts added are period correct, so no radial tires or electronic fuel injection

6.)Wagons, Roadsters, Coupes, Sedans 2 & 4 door, Wagons 2 & 4 door, as well as Convertibles are welcome I will also allow Sedan Delivery's and El Camino/ Ranchero's as well as light trucks (pickups & panels)

Build will start On June 24th, 2011 and end June 24th, 2012

Entrants:

Nick Winter-'58 Plymouth Fury, '57 Chevy 150 Police car, '58 Impala Drag Car

Keef-

AirFilter-'50 Ford pickup, '53 Ford Victoria convertible, '57 Chevrolet 150, '58 Chevrolet Corvette

scale trucker- '54 Chevy Bel Air

DiscoSpud- '59 Ford Galaxie

Sixties Sam- '53 Ford Hard Top

mistermodel- '55 Chevy Cameo Carrier

Scalper- '58 Plymouth Belvedere

Hypermung-'59 Dodge 2Dr HT

wgflatliner- '50's Ford, 2 '53 Hudsons

BDub-'50 Chevy 3100

69Mopar-'50 Chevy 3100, '57 Chevy Bel Air

Just incase your confused, which is understandable, sometimes things that make sense to me, don't to others, I'll give the gist of it, build a vehicle how it would appear in the 50's (Ie '58 Fury would look new, '49 Chevy would look a bit wore in but still very new)

Nick

Edited by Nick Winter

Oh, the possibilities! I can't commit to this build yet because I'm already involved in about half a dozen CBPs at the moment, but I'd love to try my hand at a full-on custom AMT '51 Chevy, either a Bel Air hardtop coupe or Fleetline done in early Barris or Alexander Brothers style.

Oh, the possibilities! I can't commit to this build yet because I'm already involved in about half a dozen CBPs at the moment, but I'd love to try my hand at a full-on custom AMT '51 Chevy, either a Bel Air hardtop coupe or Fleetline done in early Barris or Alexander Brothers style.

That would be quite interesting, if you get done some others and want to join, or just want to join, just tell me what you want to buuild.

Nick

nick im in will build the famous moonglow 54 chevy hardtop...

Sure, your added to list

Can I enter with a build up i want to do of my mates car? Its a 59 Ford Galaxie with Cragar wheels, white walls and pinstriping.

Don't see why not those parts were available then.

Nick

I build many 50's cars. They are some of my favorites. I have a Lindberg 53 Ford hardtop kit waiting to be built, so count me in. I plan to use the 53 in my diner diorama, set in 1959. I want it to represent a car a teenager on a very low budget would have bought used, and added a few mild custom touches to. Bullet taillights, lowered suspension, spinner hubcaps, bar type grille, maybe headlight scoops, fuzzy dice - all period stuff.

Sam

I was more basing it on the the Whitewalls and pin stripes, but thanks for the input.

OK. Just noticed the mention of Cragars, wanted to pass the info along.

I would consider jumping in on this, if it weren't for all the other projects I have going on! :P Might take a look in my stash, I may have a project or so that will work. If I find something, I'll let you know.

OK. Just noticed the mention of Cragars, wanted to pass the info along.

I would consider jumping in on this, if it weren't for all the other projects I have going on! :) Might take a look in my stash, I may have a project or so that will work. If I find something, I'll let you know.

No Problem, if you find something you'd like to build, feel free to jump in.

So.... am I in?

Yes! B)

Nice work so far Gordon.

If I get time I may jump in on this one too. As long as I'm allowed to build the aussie version of detroit iron. I'm looking at building my Aussie built 56 chev, in stock trim, and then I want to build it as the finished product, which won't fit into this category as it'll have modern wheels etc.. It's the same car pretty much, except the steering wheel is on the right side. So if that's cool and I get the time, I'll be in.

hey guys, quick update. I have fully prepared the chassis and the engine and headers are installed in my '59. When my health picks up I'll get to work on the multi-piece body. I am ambitious about this but will approach it with caution.

If I get time I may jump in on this one too. As long as I'm allowed to build the aussie version of detroit iron. I'm looking at building my Aussie built 56 chev, in stock trim, and then I want to build it as the finished product, which won't fit into this category as it'll have modern wheels etc.. It's the same car pretty much, except the steering wheel is on the right side. So if that's cool and I get the time, I'll be in.

The stock version would be more than welcome to enter.

Nick

Samuel Cheal's 1959 Ford Galaxie.

Here's the car I'm replicating guys. It's my mates 1959 Ford Galaxie he bought and restored (at home)whilst living in the US.

39213_408115897966_715027966_4698262_3349245_n.jpg

Here it is after being picked up from the importers.

166348_481909522966_715027966_6063515_5140075_n.jpg

A mate of his did the pinstriping by hand.

34095_402515072966_715027966_4553972_898333_n.jpg

27102_374380457966_715027966_3846271_3966643_n.jpg

Yes, I'm even putting in the Bandana that is tied arounf the steering column.

27102_376564407966_715027966_3905937_8152928_n.jpg

Stock engine with a 4 barrel Holley Carb and air cleaner.

21847_296607782966_715027966_3510992_4585507_n.jpg