Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth cab question

Hello guys

can one of you please tell me for which period of time can we use the AMT Kenworth W900 cab?

and for which period of time can the Revell Kenworth W900 cab be used?

thanks a lot for your help.

so long

Arnd

From what I've gathered, the AMT W900 cab is a 1968-72, while the Revell of Germany cab is a 1973-82. The Revell USA/Monogram W900 cab is also a 1973-82, but the AeroDyne sleeper makes the model a post-1976. Hope that helps.

I would say the AMT cab from 1968 to 1971 and the Revell Germany cab from 1972 to 1982.
The hood is different but I don't know how much difference there are between the W900A and W900B cabs and the B model came 1983.

Oh, you did beat me there James...I'm no Kenworth expert but I wasn't that far off. ;)

Edited by Force

Actually, and this is just my opinion, but as for time periods for both unless you are going on a "period" theme, they are just as usable for a modern truck pulling a Moebius 53 foot Great Dane as they are pulling one of AMT's 70s era trailers like the 40 foot Fruehauf vans. Yes, they are not as common today as they would have been new, but there are still some of them out working today.

Thanks a lot for all that Information. I want to build up an Kenworth W900 short hood from around 1970. I tried to get a AMT cab but no luck. And as far as I one from Revell I wanted to know if I can use it too.

So long

Arnd

Yes the doorhandles are different and the later cab has narrower vent windows...but that can be fixed if you want to do an older cab from the Revell Germany kit.
After what I have found out the W900A came around 1968-69...like the AMT kit...and the latch type low mount doorhandles came around 1972 together with the smaller vent windows, 1973 all Kenworths had hood emblems with gold bottom color instead of red to celebrate Kenworth's 50th anniversary, 1974 came the V.I.T. 60 inch sleeper on the W900 (108 inch V.I.T cab for the K100) and the Gullwing Bumpers...like the Revell Germany kit has... 1976 came the Aerodyne high rise sleepers and the Bicentennial V.I.T. 200 edition trucks...same as the Revell/Monogram W900 snap kits..., and the W900B with the more square hood, square headlights and square air horns came 1983...to my knowledge not done by any model manufacturer so far.

the biggest difference between the A and B models were the size of the cab and the dash board. A's from the 60's all the way to the mid 80's were nearly cookie cuts except for the door handle placement and a few interior mods. the B's had a larger cab ,so to speak , with a new dash board, windsheild wipers and were boxier. the latter part of the 90's is when they still used the B model cab with the aero sleeper. witch then developed into the w900L's that we see all the , known as the aerocab. i will take some pics of of our trucks tonite at the shop. we have three of the four i just mentioned.

here are the pics of the kw's,, the first with the aerodyne sleeper is a 1995 with the B cab and ext hood, the second is a 1998 with the B cab and the start of the aero cab transition, the last is a 2005 aero cab that we most often see. biggest differences is the windsheilds ,the sloop of the hoods and on the 98 is the doors in witch were an option.

post-11315-0-47026200-1398269946_thumb.j

post-11315-0-30371600-1398269971_thumb.j

post-11315-0-95881100-1398269988_thumb.j

Hello all

this is what I want to build up. I started it with the Revell cab and hood. I think it looks quiet realistic. The right type would be W900-S2 or better said Ithink this it is.

So long

Arnd

post-13043-0-44962100-1398290276_thumb.j

post-13043-0-66383900-1398290327_thumb.j

Edited by Arnd

Hello guys

I worked last night a bit more on that littel one. To bring the cab to the right shape I have to put it on the frame. I started to work on it but I am not sure about how long it should be. So what WB does a singel Axel truck have with a BBC of 102 Inch?

so long

Arnd