Model Cars Magazine Forum

FULL BUILD REVIEW: REVELL 2010 Camaro SS Deluxe kit

the picture i posted above is the "COPO" concept Camaro. supercharged 327 LS, Powerglide and a Ford 9" rear axle IIRC. so far nothing online that shows that Chevrolet has built any of them, but they want to.

Might be the 9" is a sticking point.......... :P

That is a 6L80, I want to get that kit for the trans alone! Well Done Revell, those new automatics are used a lot in the 1:1 hot rod builds.

If you really want a manual trans for this kit, try Morgan automotive details T56. It looks real close to the TR 6060 that came in the 2010 Camaro SS. http://www.superchevy.com/features/camaro/sucp_0904w_2010_camaro_engines_transmissions/index.html

http://www.madmodeli...w/t56trans.html

Edited by Scalefinishes

Thanks Guys,

Big update on the Revell Camaro SS

The interior is complete at this point. PLEASE dont mind the water drop on the decklid. I was cleaning a brush and a drop fell there without my knowledge until I saw it in these pictures! LOL!!

I saw this shot online and knew I needed to do my interior this way:

201001241757561132-vi.jpg

Here is my version plus a water spot that got removed after the pics were taken!!

P1010255-vi.jpg

P1010256-vi.jpg

Scalefinishes Interior black dye was used for the seats. It "bites" into the bare plastic to give it a leather texture. Tamiya light green was used for the inserts

P1010258-vi.jpg

I also detailed out the engine bay using tamiya light green since I was out of synergy greeen.

P1010257-vi.jpg

The powerplant is complete as well. There is alot of detail going on here right out of the box. The block was painted Tamiya TS-30 which is great for a clean aluminum color.

P1010259-vi.jpg

P1010260-vi.jpg

P1010261-vi.jpg

All the components fit and look great once the chassis is complete.

P1010272-vi.jpg

Since the chassis is complete I turned my focus to the body. I added the kit wide stripes to the hood and trunk. The window frames were carefully painted with acryl flat black by brush.

P1010253-vi.jpg

P1010254-vi.jpg

Here is the interior with the glass installed. It is a one piece assembly that was carefully painted with a chisel sharpie around the borders and acryl flat black for the headliner. It fits well and can be glued along the edge of the center portion to prevent ruining the glass.

P1010266-vi.jpg

The front grill, and tailights are very clever assemblies stacked with clear/red lenses, followed by chrome tubs that snap together producing perfect results.

P1010267-vi.jpg

P1010268-vi.jpg

P1010269-vi.jpg

P1010270-vi.jpg

Edited by David Thibodeau

At this time the Subassemblies are ready to be put together. Things will fit very tight and the sides of the body will need to be stretches so go slowly!!!

P1010271-vi.jpg

Once the Body and chassis was assembled I mounted the wheels and tires. The stock stance was too high so I modified the location points a bit to get the car to sit better. Unfortunately that meant the wheels are not centered on the brake rotors but it was a necessary sacrifice. If I build the car again I will modify the suspension during the build.

Here are a few pictures of how the car sits now. Even at this point I would have liked it lower. But it will have to do.

P1010276-vi.jpg

P1010273-vi.jpg

P1010274-vi.jpg

P1010275-vi.jpg

I notice that Dave's chrome tree in the first post also sports the same "sine wave" warp to it that my kit does. Mine was packed on the very top of the box, bent around everything to get the lid on...

I don't know if they're rushing things overseas or what, but this is something like the 6th or 7th recent Revell kit that had packing and subsequent (or prior to packing) warping damage. You should see the body on my Audi R8 Spyder, looks, like someone rung it out like a wash cloth.

Wow this came out great! I'm glad I bought 2 because the optional aero parts look great on the car.

My 2 kits also have a warped chrome tree, it's not a big problem but i have also noticed quite a few revell kits I've bought with warped trees. My RoG Vw t3 camper is really warped, the whole kit fits badly and I'm in final assembly and it is just a pain.

• 5 months later...

Your build is amazing David and has been very helpful as I'm building this kit.

I just found the best engineered part of this model: the grill/light covers/reflectors--pure genius. Finally, a car where there is not a chance of getting glue on light covers thus no fogged lights.

• 2 years later...

Hi I am new to this board....but on many other forums so I am not new to the forum life. Anyway, I really love how this Camaro turned out. Infact I am currently building this same kit. My questin is what brush did you use to get into the intricate parts IE the interior vent rings, around the gauges etc.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread..just did a search thats all...Here is a teaser....btw, any veterans post in here?

I am no pro by any means ...just a disabled dysfunctional army vet loving this hobby .....keeps me at ease

post-15173-0-47784600-1423628144_thumb.j

Edited by 6ohMax