Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Ford Falcon Sprint Hardtop

Gregg

Well, Bart, it's all relative.

What some see as inexcusable flaws, some see as minor glitches... or don't even see at all!

We all have different standards as to what we find acceptable and what we're willing to plunk down our money on. Whether this kit deserves anyone's $$$ is a decision each of us has to make ourselves, based on our own opinions. We can all agree on that, I think.

My main point here is that while I do see some minor things a bit off, overall I don't see this kit as a lost cause, and if I was looking for a '64 Falcon kit, I would not cross this one off my list due to whatever flaws it has. But that's just me.

As far as the rest of you, I say keep the conversation going! :lol:

Oh, I heard that "thank you" loud and clear, Bob - that's why I steered more toward the corrections I'd make.

I too would have to observe that the deviations are far more serious than nits, and that the real hand-wringing is going on among people reacting to the critiques - but I appreciate your last post just the same Mr. P.

I see everything everyone else sees, maybe more, but how it affects me is a personal thing, as it is for everyone else. So much negative energy swirling about, I like to keep it positive like your idea of steering towards how to improve what you have. I see a pretty neat Falcon with potential, others seem to focus on details that drive them nuts so they have a hard time seeing what others see as good. I see a model that looks a whole lot better to my eyes than their Bonneville HT or Nova CV, that's for sure. Maybe I'd be less objective if Trumpeter had done something more (personally) grail-worthy.

I went from a somewhat bored observer to accepting a review sample to build because of all this controversy ;) I've railed enough on Trumpeter's previous models, still haven't built one :lol:

Gotta say I like where you're taking this build, Gregg - and I'll second what Mark said about the possibilities this kit looking better when built modified.

For the record, I've owned both a '63 Ranchero and a '65 Comet, so I've tried to keep my comments and criticisms mostly in the realm of the mechanical parts of this kit because I feel like that's where my experience (notice I'm not going to say "expertise") is most applicable and potentially of value to my fellow modellers. Other folks (Dave Darby for example) who have owned '64 Falcons and have the knowledge and vocabulary to talk about such matters have done thorough critiques of the body issues, so I haven't felt the need to add my voice there.

Thanks for posting that comparison shot above - I think it lets people use their own eyes to see what's right or wrong with the kit body. One of the things that catches my eye that I don't think I've seen mentioned is the front portion of the side trim (where it comes to a point) - if that's something that bugs you, it won't be an easy fix.

In general I'm done with any more bashing on this kit - I think at this point most people have had their say and we can all make our decisions about whether this kit is worth buying or not for ourselves. I do think the discussion on this board has been healthy - I'm mean, we're here to talk about model cars, right? and to me that entails an honest discussion of the pros and cons of any kit. So when the Ranchero comes out we can start this all up again;)

One thing I am not going to do is to compare it to a 40 plus year-old kit.

This kit is being built, reviewed, and judged on it's own merits.

Those rear wheelwells/tubs, well, just maybe, there could be a tubbed and street version as well?

Yes, they could have made an additional floor pan to replicate the stock one, but I'm not going to complain.

I will point it out, but no, I won't complain.

Today is paint, I hope.

post-3-0-17595600-1303327452_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-97886100-1303327454_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-59278500-1303327458_thumb.jpg

I just happened upon the convertible kit and instructions (the HT is there as well) at a well-known Japanese online hobby shop; nice that the CV and HT have their own side panels, nice to see an uptop in the CV too.

Looks like whitewalls are up to the builder...no inserts, no decals.

I just happened upon the convertible kit and instructions (the HT is there as well) at a well-known Japanese online hobby shop; nice that the CV and HT have their own side panels, nice to see an uptop in the CV too.

Looks like whitewalls are up to the builder...no inserts, no decals.

Looks like the convert has 2 sets of tires....per the on line shop, but not the HT. ??

I guess I will never make a great modeller. I keep staring at the comparisson pictures Harry posted and I can't see the problems. The only thing I can see is the front bumper being off. The roof, sides and grille all look the same to me. I've stared at it and stared at it and I don't see the problems. :) I guess not having binocular vision doesn't help... :)

Yeah. From the looks of it, maybe some of Revell's moderately beefy vintage slicks from recent kits might fit in - or MAYBE the slightly smaller treaded rear meats from the street '41 Willys? - but even though nobody'll know till they try it, I'd be very surprised if Revell's '90s pro-street rubber managed to wedge in there.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Yeah. From the looks of it, maybe some of Revell's moderately beefy vintage slicks from recent kits might fit in - or MAYBE the slightly smaller treaded rear meats from the street '41 Willys? - but even though nobody'll know till they try it, I'd be very surprised if Revell's '90s pro-street rubber managed to wedge in there.

Yeah- kind of what I'm thinking just by 'eyeballing' it. Looks like the old MPC Goodyear Blue Streaks would tuck in there, too.

$50 for any styrene kit is just way too much, especially when you have to factor in the cost of additional resin parts to fix things that you don't like.

Hi John...

$50.00 is just the SUGGESTED retail price...

The kit actually sold for $34.00 at the show in Wayne N.J....

I've been cruising the online dealers for pricing, and find it at $39.00 most places...

Later, Bill..

Is the kit "worth" fifty bucks? That's something every individual has to decide for themselves.

If you've been aching for a new '64 Falcon Sprint for years, fifty bucks isn't going to stop you from buying. If a '64 Falcon doesn't do anything for you, you probably wouldn't buy it anyway, even at half that price.

Maybe if Trumpeter had priced the kit at a more "mainstream" level they ultimately would have sold a few more of them, but it is what it is. Like Ken said, look for that trusty old 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby... ;)

Is the kit "worth" fifty bucks? That's something every individual has to decide for themselves.

If you've been aching for a new '64 Falcon Sprint for years, fifty bucks isn't going to stop you from buying. If a '64 Falcon doesn't do anything for you, you probably wouldn't buy it anyway, even at half that price.

Maybe if Trumpeter had priced the kit at a more "mainstream" level they ultimately would have sold a few more of them, but it is what it is. Like Ken said, look for that trusty old 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby... ;)

Even though I'm very interested in this kit and want a couple,it's not worth $50 to me. But then hardly any kit is worth $50 to me unless it's a really old and desirable kit. The only time I buy new releases from any manufacturor is when I have the 40% off coupon. It always takes the little bit of pain of the price away. :D I just hope Hobby Lobby carries it along with the Mobius Chrysler and Navistar.

I have read every post on this car and yes I will buy one.

Why?

I liked the Ford Falcons.

A little more than I want to pay for a kit, yes.

But then I don't like 4.00 for a gallon of gas either.

Hey, just because someone likes some stupid, over-priced, piece-of-garbage model kit that looks like it was designed by a retarded chimpanzee with cataracts and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, that doesn't mean they're unsophisticated. It just means they're ignorant!

As Foghorn Leghorn used to say, "That's a joke, son!"

:D:P:o

Joke, yes... but I'll bet you just offended someone... B):lol:

The Japanese modeler, Calkichi, who did the superb black build of the Trumpeter kit (shown earlier on this thread) just posted a '63 Falcon over at SAM. All of his builds and photography are top-notch.

http://cs.scaleautomag.com/SCACS/forums/t/101307.aspx

Wow, I'll say! I just followed the link over to his site (http://www.hobidas.com/blog/j-tipo/desktop/) - he's got some amazing stuff. All his builds are top-notch. He's got some shots of the AMT '64 Falcon if you poke around. Not to beat that dead horse, but the comparison is, to my eyes, illuminating.

The Japanese modeler, Calkichi, who did the superb black build of the Trumpeter kit (shown earlier on this thread) just posted a '63 Falcon over at SAM. All of his builds and photography are top-notch.

Somebody has to get him to join this forum... B)

Amazing! The guy that runs that other board... the one who got his knickers in a twist over the comments, went ballistic hissy-fit and cried that he therefore wasn't going to sell them?

Yeah! That was one, big ruse. He knew all along that he was going to sell them! He changed his mind the following day. Not only that, but "They will be here tomorrow". HA! He obviously knew that all along. B)

So the point is, no matter how good or bad you think it is here... at least we are better... than over there!

And as for the Falcon kit, if I happen to find one at a good price, I would buy it. Just not at $39.+