Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:The GT40 project New pics 2/13/17

Randy D

Oh Randy.... Come out come out where every you are..... Hey Buddy.... Its great to see you back here and on this build.  Holy Smokes.... and I thought I was nuts with some things I was doing and you are doing some even crazier stuff smaller. I think there may be 2 padded walls for us at the DSC this year. SO glad you are doing to make it down again. Looking forward to hanging out again.

Totally speechless!  I look at builds like this and then look at my own little world of projects and tools combined with my skill level and all I can think of is...

"For Sale: 50+ kits Unbuilt, various hand tools, 4 airbrushes, compressor, dremel paints assorted parts"

Now I know why some people collect higher end higher detailed diecast models.

Randy, I totally missed the posts earlier this week.  Glad to see you are back at it.  Love the works but one mild word of caution.  The "catalog" is for a Mark I with the 289.  There were changes with the 427 that go beyond the engine though what you have done to this point is spot on.  I only wish this was my build!  Maybe someday with your work to inspire me. 

Hi Folks,

Hi Ed ,   Glad you like it so far!

Thank you Eko89:D

Hey Tim,  It does feel good to be back at it. Appreciate the kind words:)

Thank you Bill !

Hi Bob, Thank you for following along.

Hiya Mike,  Careful there!!

Thank John,  Waiting on the kitchen cabinets so I'm stealing bench time!!!

Dave,  Will look out for you,  I got a chance to meet a few of the guys last year and look forward to more this year.

Hi Richard,  You are too kind.

Thanks Bruce!!!

Thanks Chris,  Can't wait to see your progress in person.

Appreciate it Brian!!

Pete, Thank you my friend!   Hopefully you will be posting some work soon???

Starting to build up the drivetrain.  This car ran the '69 race with a 302 mated to a 5 speed ZF -1 transaxle. Gurney-Westlake heads were used.  This gave the Weber 48's their distinctive inward tilt of about 9 degrees.

Reference pic of a Gelscoe replica of the car I'm building.  This is a good shot of the engine compartment without the 'bundle of snakes' exhaust in the way....

The heads with the unique water manifolds and grooved valley pan...

Will be using styrene for this....

Parts for one head....

intake side

exhaust side...

More.......

I love looking at this kid of detail , and can only imagine the skill it takes to do something like this in such a small scale. Impressive is such and understatement .

I have plans to build a couple later on,,,but they will be NO WHERE this level . So My hats off to ya . But keep it coming .

I've always enjoyed the GT40 cars ,,even had the opportunity to sit in a real one several years ago. Kind of tough to get in and out of though. And from what I remember the drivers foot well was really narrow .

Hi Folks,

Thank you Richard, always appreciate you commenting on my builds!

Hey Bruce, turning that big 60 this year and the eyes need a lot of help these days!

Hi Pete, thanks for checking in!

Hi Michael, What are you working on these days?

Scott,  I am not in the same boat as you on the house stuff but time consuming.

Glad you are liking this one Bill, I am always surprised by how small these cars were!!

Small progress...

Making up the bell housing and starting the ZF transaxle....

Fav produced a 6 bolt unit that was very shallow. Ref. pic and drawing....

I chopped off the bell housing of a mustang 302 that was in the parts box and modified it..

One of the two vents....

more.....

Starting the ZF -1 ....

Some ref. pics,  first pic is of an original  unit and the other two are pics of a modern day replica produced by RBT Transmissions..

RBT's website has measured drawings that are a big help here..

the top..

Thanks for looking in!

Randy