Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Street Community Build Project

1320wayne

Yep! The AMT Pro Sreet '68 Road Runner has 'em. They have a plain sidewall,but the tread looks like the M/T Sportsmans. That's what's on the rear of my Duster. I can get the exact dimensions of them if you need. There had to be other AMT kits that had them. I'm thinking the pro street '69 GTX had them also. I think I may have that kit in the stash. I'll have to check and see. An easier to find kit would be the pro street '41 Willys by Revell.

Thanks! I'm prety sure I might have a set from the Revell Willys anyway. I always assumed the GTX/RR Pro Streets had the same M/T tires as the Super Bee.

I just got a "parts pack" in the mail that came in the '68 RR pro street box. It came with Good-Year drag radials. That makes at least 6 different pro street rear tires that l know of-- in 5 sizes.

Do you have a photo of them? I've never seen any drag radials by AMT.

Time for more? You bet! I got the engine wiring done, I used white 30 gauge wrapping wire and some yellow jacket from some 26 gauge wire for the boots. I was going to paint the wrapping wire with some Tamiya Clear Yellow, but it wouldn't dry (I waited about 5 hours and it was still tacky), so I just decided to go with the plain white wire.

Resin distributor from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland, these things are great!
SuperDuster082-vi.jpg

Wiring in place on the distributor...
SuperDuster084-vi.jpg

2 boots on each wire, time to get it installed on the engine!
SuperDuster085-vi.jpg

SuperDuster086-vi.jpg

Right side of the engine complete, more to come!
SuperDuster087-vi.jpg

Another shot of the engine wiring, and then onto the coil. Since there was no coil in either one of the kits Sam sent, and I'm out of 'em, I tried to make my own from some sprue. I chucked it in the Dremel, hit it with a sanding stick, drilled a hole in it and called it good. I painted it semi-gloss black, then made a strap from a piece of PE fret, drilled a hole in the block, and glued it in place. That's all for tonight, see ya later!

SuperDuster090-vi.jpg

SuperDuster092-vi.jpg

SuperDuster093-vi.jpg

SuperDuster094-vi.jpg

SuperDuster095-vi.jpg

Just a quick update on the coronet. Have opened up the boot and separated the rear chrome trim from the tailights. Installed a flat trunk floor, do you guys in the US call it trunk or boot?, and started to make up pieces of evergreen to enclose the trunk so she is all neat and tidy. Have also made up a fuel cell that still needs work but it is getting there, its large but if im going cruising i dont want to be stopping at every gas station to fill this baby up. Still undecided what motor to use but im swaying to do the DOHC 426 for something visually different and a bit more streetable.

65dodgecoronet012_zps5f65e903.jpg

65dodgecoronet013_zps28d505bf.jpg

65dodgecoronet005_zpsa54766cb.jpg65dodgecoronet009_zps867ff7ec.jpg65dodgecoronet007_zpsa170145e.jpg65dodgecoronet002_zpseeefe0ea.jpg

Cheers and thanks for looking

Edited by vc273

Just a quick update on the coronet. Have opened up the boot and separated the rear chrome trim from the tailights. Installed a flat trunk floor, do you guys in the US call it trunk or boot?, and started to make up pieces of evergreen to enclose the trunk so she is all neat and tidy. Have also made up a fuel cell that still needs work but it is getting there, its large but if im going cruising i dont want to be stopping at every gas station to fill this baby up. Still undecided what motor to use but im swaying to do the twin overhead cam 426 for something visually different and a bit more streetable.

65dodgecoronet006_zpsf29428c4.jpg

Cheers and thanks for looking

keep postin, i'll be looking.... and i would go with this hemi along with a hemi hood scoop.

here is some more progress on my coronet. i have the side scoops in place, got a good start on an outlaw hood, ripped the origional tunnel out, made a new one, ripped that out and started tunnel #2, started up a cage, modified that a few times. the bars in the back are too close together to fit the fuel cell under it, so i have to scratch a new one. there will also be 2 uptima batteries and maybe some nitrous in the trunk. i think i am going to change the color to "go-green" instead of orange. started scratching up some new door panels, dont know if i want the interior tubs, floor body color w/ black seats, door panels or do an aluminum looking iinterior?

post-5121-0-63136200-1358252474_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-34675900-1358252489_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-15996800-1358252504_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-01895000-1358252525_thumb.jp

thanks, ill keep you in mind

for now im trying to get the body right

i painted it last night and it looks like poo-pooh

here are some shots before i tossed her in the purple pond (which in all reality is a big pickle jar filled with brake fluid)

1357877181.jpg

1357877136.jpg

one a side note, here is the frame section i build

still need to clean it up but the idea is there

1357877096.jpg

1357877062.jpg

i still need to decide on tires

on the left are the mickey thompson sportsmans that i had origenally planned but on the right are the firestones that came with my care-package i got from Roadhawg

1357871076.jpg

the fire stones didnt fit in the body the way it sits right now but considering the body is now in the pond i might have a chance to flare them a bit afterall

depends on how much or little room you need. i personally would not flair the wells. if you want the bigger tires, maybe take an exacto blade and scrape the inside of the body (wheelwell area) and shave some off the rails. or just use the smaller ones, i do feel the bigger the better, but you have alot of work iin the build already, plus the smaller ones will drop the rear of the car.

Can I play along? Here is one I have been wanting to build. A 2004 GTO. Still not sure on what motor to drop in, I have many TF & FC HEMI blocks... maybe pull the Pontiac mnt motor from a PS kit.

sweet!! the more the marrier!!! for the motor, how about a simple 350 chevy (yea, i know) with a turbo or 2.....

Hi Al really like what you have going on with the coronet. Will stay with the twin cam as i wanted to keep this build fairly simple so i can put more effort into the next build after such a long break away from the hobby. Though some of you may find these pics helpful in your builds. These shots are from sacle auto issue 75 dedicated to pro street but do remember this info is from 1991 so there may be some up015_zpsa59b1945.jpg016_zps8c6db8f8.jpgdates017_zpse779ae88.jpg since the018_zps28e6141d.jpgn. Cheers019_zps8f774868.jpg020_zps7382e0b7.jpg

depends on how much or little room you need. i personally would not flair the wells. if you want the bigger tires, maybe take an exacto blade and scrape the inside of the body (wheelwell area) and shave some off the rails. or just use the smaller ones, i do feel the bigger the better, but you have alot of work iin the build already, plus the smaller ones will drop the rear of the car.

ill keep that in mind

i guess ill see how everything looks once i mock it up with both sets of tires

ive been working a little on the tubs and it might be too much effort to make the tubs fit the big tires since the rear seat would be in the way

flaring the well would be relatively painless though, since im back to bare styrene again anyway

a small update from my build desk.

The GTO has been hacked apart, started with a small backhalf job then felt it needed more...so a full frame has begun. I have kept the side rails so there is some GTO in there. I go for a late 80's early 90's style Pro Street look - stock looking body, Big motor with blower...etc.

I started a second poject Pro Street "car".... well okay it's a Toyota truck. hay why not?

post-1715-0-45272100-1358320005_thumb.jppost-1715-0-47900200-1358319956_thumb.jppost-1715-0-15083400-1358319979_thumb.jppost-1715-0-48142200-1358320044_thumb.jppost-1715-0-76934000-1358320063_thumb.jppost-1715-0-49173400-1358320088_thumb.jp

Edited by SnuzBox

a small update from my build desk.

The GTO has been hacked apart, started with a small backhalf job then felt it needed more...so a full frame has begun. I have kept the side rails so there is some GTO in there. I go for a late 80's early 90's style Pro Street look - stock looking body, Big motor with blower...etc.

I started a second poject Pro Street "car".... well okay it's a Toyota truck. hay why not?

hey, why not is right!! looks very, very cool!! both of them. always liked the modern GTO but never found a kit. its on my want list. great job on the frame also. here is a picture for some inspiration on the truck..... this thing is soooo impressive in person.... love how the tubbs extend out of the bed, don't know why.... by the way, where did the resin blower pieces come from?

post-5121-0-98038800-1358340177_thumb.jp

post-5121-0-10288700-1358340407_thumb.jp

Well, I've already lost interest in the Chevelle (not saying it won't make a comeback later), but I did get this '66 Falcon a while back.

2FALCON-vi.jpg

I'm thinking with an AMT '67 Mustang front clip and the remainder of the underbody from a '66 Pro Street Nova, I might be onto something.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking with an AMT '67 Mustang front clip and the remainder of the underbody from a '66 Pro Street Nova, I might be onto something.

Thoughts?

I think you're definitely onto something there Chuck! You may actually be lucky enough to retain the Nova's frame rails up front and just use the suspension pieces from the Mustang. If you have one, I would check the fit of the chassis from the Matt and Debbie Hay Thunderbird or the pro street Lincoln. They would get it down nice and low. So far, I've used the Thunderbird chassis under a '64 Fairlane, 49 Ford coupe and a '56 Ford Crown Victoria (unfinished) It's an easily adaptable chassis. Plus, it has all of the pro street parts needed and a nice Ford powertrain. BTW, did you ever finish the Olds pro streeter?

Thoughts?

I kind of like the nose on the Falcon, so I would keep that and add the '67 Mustang's fastback to the Falcon's body.

In the middle doing the tedious work on my Licoln LSC engine and needed a break so I took some pics of the wip, figured that would give me a good reason to take that break. All comments welcome.

DSCN1487_zps16340dab.jpg

DSCN1488_zps686b04be.jpg

DSCN1489_zpsa0911e0d.jpg

Yes. I touch up all the paint when I am done.

Edited by HNTR