Model Cars Magazine Forum

And now for my next trick, I'll pull out of the hat a.....

ismaelg

....... 2004 Special Edition C5 Z06 Grand Sport Corvette!

This car is so rare there were actually..... NONE!

The idea is to do a 2004 Z06 (Last C5 model year) in the '96 Grand Sport paint scheme. The idea is not new, as there have been several 1:1 GS schemed clones.

Anyway, first law of modeling on my bench: Decals and me do not mix.

I hate decals.

I Hate Decals.

I HATE DECALS

I HATE DECALS!!! :x

Have I mentioned I hate decals? They hate me as well so the feeling is reciprocal :x

I can't even lay a small decal on a mirror without problems. That's why I stay away from building race cars. :cry:

Sooo, the center stripe and the 2 thin lines on the sides HAD to be painted.

Here is the story in pictures:

First: The body was painted Cobra Colors LeMans blue.

Then masked and painted the center stripe with Cobra Colors Arctic White

DSCF1353.JPG

DSCF1360.JPG

I was not sure about how to do the 2 thin stripes. So after much consideration I was convinced the best way was to paint them as well. So I masked for the 2 thin stripes and painted them. Yes, it would have been much easier doing it all at the same time, but this was my first time...

DSCF2136.JPG

DSCF2143.JPG

This is how it looks now. Not bad for been my first time masking a second color!

DSCF2149.JPG

DSCF2148.JPG

So now I'll wait 1 or 2 days t do a very light wet sanding with 6000 grit pad, then clearcoat.

The other change on this build is that I will replace the kit's automatic tranny with the correct 6 speed.

As always, your comments are appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Nice work, great subject! I would have probably painted the white all in one step; using thin strips of precut BMF to cover the separation lines between the narrow stripes and the wide central stripe. When I did a GS Tahoe years ago I didn't even do the narrow stripes, and I had to use white decal strips to border the painted center stripe because my masking job didn't turn out too well.

I saw a 1:1 version of this car back when the Z06 was brand new, it was nighttime and I was driving through a parking lot, told my friend "hey, there's a Grand Sport over there" and we realized when we got the headlights on it that it wasn't what we expected! It looked like a factory job.

WOW......that sure is purty!! 8)

I betcha you used the Tamiya masking tape for the stripes right? :wink:

I have used painted decal paper for the separation stripes and it looked very convincing. :wink: Also the Cobra Colors seem to have very tight pigments because I don't notice any bleed through to the white from the blue paint underneath.

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!

Speaking of "alternative" sources of masking materials like using the kit bag, I remember hearing about using Glad Press 'N Seal. While I don't recommend it for doing the fine masking of Tamiya tape, it's a great overall mask that has kept me from using torn strips of newspaper combined with tons of regular masking tape to do the finish masking on a model. The fact that it sticks to itself and to the surface is great, saves time/tape and makes for a good seal to guard against overspray. Give it a try!

Richard,

Welcome to the decals haters club. Our motto is "They hate us, we hate them" :(

I used Cobra Colors lacquer. I did about 2 medium coats and a final heavier (wet) coat. Since lacquer dries very fast, it was all done within 30 minutes or so.

Thanks,