Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Scale Scratch Built Street Rod (Updated: 12/19/06)

GTmike400

For the past couple years I've been working on a scratch built street rod. 100% from scratch. Some of you may have seen the past work. I've recently started rebuilding the frame, but here's pictures of the earlier frame, engine, and tranny.

DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0014.JPG

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0016.JPG

I like it a lot

Would like to see it in MCM!!!

Thanks for the kind remark Gregg, I dont feel I am worthy. Im just learning, I have a long way to go. Dont get me wrong, I'd be more than honored to be photographed.

I will be posting up some scratch build seminars, and progress of the new frame soon.

So heres the new frame about thus far.

Here are the brackets for the rear suspension/four links, and the "axel". I still need to machine the differential casing, and third member. I dont have the material for that right now, so the brackets are already soldered on to keep things moving at a steady pace. Once I turn the diff case I will cut the axel in half, slide the case on, and solder it all up.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

img04565ms.jpg

img04576rr.jpg

img04586us.jpg

I've got some material on its way, and I plan to order some tooling soon hopefully. Then I can machine the front control arms out of brass. I hope to start building the new Chevy 502 soon.

Thought I'd post these up.

crank11qn.jpg

crank29rr.jpg

Crankshaft for another scratch build engine, Chevy ZZ502. I first figured out the firing order for the 502, then I looked at a pic of the motor with the head of to figure out where the pistons were when cylinder 1 was at TDC.

Heres the cam, took a long time to figure out but here it is and it works.

Correct valve timing (IVO 6.5° ATDC; IVC 37.5° ABDC; EVO 47.0° BBDC; EVC 3.0° BTDC), .510 Intake Lift, .540 Exhaust Lift, 211° Intake duration, 230° exhaust duration.

cam19dq.jpg

Now Mike, you know you should not be posting pics from the Summit and Jegs catalog and passing them off as your work! Or does your boss know that you are doing this stuff on his CNC machines when he's not looking?

Seriously, that is some awesome work! Don't be overly modest this stuff is cool! I am looking forward to seeing this at the Southern NNL finished or not!!!!

Just got a lot of work done on the driver side lower control arm. Machined out of 8 seperate pieces and soldered together with about 13 hours of work at this point.

The shock mounts in the gap with a pin that goes through. The pin is a zero tolerance fit and is hidden once it is put in. It sticks in the hole well, but it also comes out with a nice tap. Note the beginning of the working ball joint half soldered to the bottom half.

img07145kk.jpg

img07156tv.jpg

img07171yb.jpg

img07194tf.jpg

Next I will assemble the upper control arm, also machined out of brass. After spring break I will finish machining the passenger side control arms.

Thanks for looking

You are very talented for a senior in high school. If you don't mind my asking where are getting access to the CAD program as such. If you say at school, then tell me where so I can go back to High School. LOL. Thanks for sharing your work!

You are very talented for a senior in high school. If you don't mind my asking where are getting access to the CAD program as such. If you say at school, then tell me where so I can go back to High School. LOL. Thanks for sharing your work!

I use AutoCAD 2006 at school, I have AutoCAD 2004 at home. As a matter of fact, I'm in an independent study drafting class where this project is my grade.

I have been working on the rear suspension assembly. I first machined the rear axel out of brass, and resin. I then proceeded to the hardware for it. After machining a dozen bolts I started going nuts. A dozen bolts and nuts total machined on the lathe (with hex heads).

IMG_0829.JPG

Note, one of those pieces is a blank that accidently fell into the shot. The rest are the actual nuts and bolts for the rear suspension. Compared to a penny for size.

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0838.jpg

Thanks.

This weekend I forgot my safety glasses at school, so I was unable to do any machining this weekend. Dont ever run a lathe without safety glasses. Instead, I started the frame work for the body. At this point Im not really sure if I am building a buck for vac-u-forming, or if I'm building the actual piece. We'll have to see.

img08522do.jpg

Sorry for the pixelated photo. I forgot to turn down the resolution from taking close up pics.

Your work on this vehicle is extrordinary! You have a talent most of us only dream about, and we appreciate your allowing us to share in this build. I look forward to each and every installment of this project. Keep up the great work! And if your teacher doesn't give you a grade of A+, let us know.... We'll go smack his hand with a ruler a few times!!!! 13.gif

7.gif

I have built more of the body using resin, styrene, and evercoat. I first started by building a styrene frame, then proceeded to fill it with resin and sand it into shape. Note the styrene profile cuves on the 1/4 panel.

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

The door jambs are no near the finished product. What is shown is the exterior visible door line, not the jambs. Those will be build at a later date. Currently I am beginning to shape the other 1/4 panel. I will step to building the rest of the rear shortly followed by the front of the "cab".