Model Cars Magazine Forum

BALDWIN MOTION NOVA

novadose71

Feel free to skip my blah,blah,blah and look at the pics.......I would. :D

I have been hoping and praying for a new 68-72 Nova kit ever since the second golden age of modeling starting with the AMT 66 Chevy II (see,it all comes back to Nova :D ) and into the 90's and 00's when Revell and AMT/ERTL were cranking out the great kits, then everything started to calm down several years back and the new kits got fewer and fewer. I figured there was no way I would ever see a new Nova kit, so I started buying Old Pro 72 Nova kits and Revell 69 Camaro kits to use as chassis donors for them. Then, to my surprise, Revell announced their 69 Nova kit, too good to be true, I spazzed out, waited, and it was finally released a couple months back. I must have stopped at the LHS everyday around the release date to see if my two reserved kits had arrived yet. I will be buying many more of these, and the coming Yenko version.

Now for the model at hand. This is the second one I have finished, the first being a curbside 350 SS. For the lack of detail on my first, this one more than makes up for that in my eyes. I have never gone to this extent wiring and detailing a model, it started with scratchbuilding copies of the traction bars that were on the test car and I just got carried away after that. I'll start with the basics, listing the extra's I added, and maybe add a few personal opinions along the way.

I'm done yappin', here we go..............based on the '69 CARS magazine road test car........69 Baldwin Motion Nova SS.....here's the details

Paint is Testors Fathom Green lacquer and One Coat clear, interior sprayed with SEM spray bomb black vinyl dye.

Modified Nova kit parts:

hood, narrowed rearend, alternator and bracket, turned fuel tank around

Other kit sourced parts:

AMT 70 B/M Camaro; engine from oilpan to aircleaner base,fuel line from carb to filter, transmission,CD ignition box, electric fuel pumps, differential cover,steering wheel, shortened radiator hose and some decals

Revell 69 big block Camaro's; B/M air cleaner top mesh, headers,steering box

Rev 67 Vette sidepipes, hood scoop, battery

Rev 66 Penske vette wheels and tires, the blue lines are just as hard to see in person

Rev 68 Firebird hood tach and decal

Scratch built:

vinyl top with evergreen styrene strips and painted texture, Superbite traction bars, cool can, Mallory Voltmaster II coil, voltage regulator,oil dipstick, header flanges at the heads and collector blockoff plates,

Wiring and plumbing done with misc detail wire,speaker wire, new toy tie downs, etc,etc:

Detail master plug wires with boots added, heater hoses

factory wiring loom from voltage regulator on core support to firewall to blower motor,wired and hosed windshield washer system, alternator wired to loom

brake lines at master cylinder and also extended from kit molded brake line to rearend to wheelbacks, parking brake cables added

Carb linkage, fuel lines from filter through cool can to fuel pumps to tank, PCV tube

battery wired to starter and alternator,

ignition wiring: CD box to coil and distributor

Decals from: Nova kit, Fred Cady, AMT 70 B/M Camaro, Revell 70 B/M Chevelle

Now for some pics..........

69nova474.jpg

69nova487.jpg

69nova473.jpg

69nova431.jpg

69nova489.jpg

Some more details.............

69nova459.jpg

69nova462.jpg

69nova464.jpg

69nova392.jpg

69nova479.jpg

69nova480.jpg

I know, I know..... too many pics, but I'm pretty proud of this build, and I love Nova's and Baldwin Motion cars so .....too bad ;):D:D Hope you like it, this kit is awesome and should serve Revells and the model community's needs for many years to come. Thanks for stoppin, bye

Oh yeah......a link to my W.I.P.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12955

Edited by novadose71

what did u use for the small loose wiring in the engine compartment

awesome car tho

but dont real baldwin motion novas have a white stripe on the hood, i cant recall if there was one on the reall motion car my step ma's cousin restored, i should know this since im a baldwin motion freak, and love the fact that they now make the motion models, now they just need to make nickey chevy's

Thanks guys. Lyle, the fact I was finally building my B/M Nova and yours and Stumps builds are what possessed me to go nuts on this, so thanks for the push. :)

Jake, the fine wiring is strands from a speaker wire or headphones, I can't recall which, I just use what looks right to me. I just took 5 or 6 strands, way longer than I needed and twisted them together where I wanted to simulate black tape wrapped loom and painted that area black. Then I brush painted the individual strands on each end of that and attached them where I needed them. This method was fairly frustrating because the paint wanted to form droplets on the strands that I had to soak up with a piece of paper towel, and even though I pre-bent them the best I could before paint I still had to bend them around a little, and use tweezers, when I attached them to the part, which removed bits of paint, requiring plenty of touch-up. Hope this makes sense

Out standing Nova looks just like the real Baldwin Motion cars i used to see here on Long island, i live about 10 minutes from that shop before it closed and this build reminds me of all those Corvettes, Novas and Chevelles, once again great work.

Edited by rv1963

Thanks guys. Lyle, the fact I was finally building my B/M Nova and yours and Stumps builds are what possessed me to go nuts on this, so thanks for the push. ;)

Jake, the fine wiring is strands from a speaker wire or headphones, I can't recall which, I just use what looks right to me. I just took 5 or 6 strands, way longer than I needed and twisted them together where I wanted to simulate black tape wrapped loom and painted that area black. Then I brush painted the individual strands on each end of that and attached them where I needed them. This method was fairly frustrating because the paint wanted to form droplets on the strands that I had to soak up with a piece of paper towel, and even though I pre-bent them the best I could before paint I still had to bend them around a little, and use tweezers, when I attached them to the part, which removed bits of paint, requiring plenty of touch-up. Hope this makes sense

i understand completely, i did the same thing with my junkyard gasser, and had the same problems. i was hoping that someone made real tiny rolls of different colored wire

modelcarbuilds021.jpg

modelcarbuilds022.jpg

although i made mine too look messy

but thanks anyways man, much appreciated

That looks really good, but you are not going to fool any one with the "350" engine call outs on the side marker lamps. I believe in letting them know what whupped them.

C.O.P.O. '68 Nova SS 427 Based on the AMT Kit.

I am working on my Revell kit at the present time, and it looks similar to yours, as it is a big block car too.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Hot dawg....... B)

Rob, you pulled this one off 110% man......GREAT build. Looks absolutely fan-******-tastic.

Ok....so I'm gonna try these tiny wires in the engine room, I just love that detail you've added there mate. (don't know that it'll match yours though....)

Mine is cleared, interior 85% done...chassis 75% done.....should be ready in another couple of months...... :lol:

Maybe the next one (two or four) you buy will be the newly tooled chassis version, I hope so man.

Thank you for all your help and inspiration too Rob. :)

cheers

Greg