Model Cars Magazine Forum

'78 Toyota Chaser 2000 SGS

Randy Kern

I don't build many models like the box art, but when I got this oddball kit a while back, I just had to make it like the box top illustration. Aoshima took a stodgy, late '70s Toyota and turned it into a street machine, complete with Cragar SS type mags, flames and a vicious rake. Hey Bill, it's even a true 2-dr. hardtop!

So anyway, here's this curbside, funky car with it's diving board bumpers and huge stereo components, done up as a mean street machine. Paint is Testor's One Coat Lacquer Lime Ice, for a metal-flake effect. I took Lyle's advice and lettered the tires with Poly Scale acrylic white.

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1772-1.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1778-1.jpg

IMG_1771-1.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

Nice Randy, this is the kit which I told you I liked the tires and rims, didn't think you were going to put it together this soon, I absolutely love it!!!! ;);) Nice color choice, then again, you know I love green!!!! ;):D Hope to see it at the next meeting if I can make it!!!! :P

That`s one mean Toyota, proper `70s stance too. The twin exhausts caught my eye, as far as i know these things had a 2.6 litre straight 6. Feel free to correct me if i`m wrong, i often am.

They were powered by a 1.8L 4 cylinder 3T-U and the 2.0L 18R-U and 6 cylinder 2.0L M-U/M-EU engines. Although these weren't known for all out performance due to the single cam engines, as they were mainly for economy not performance. They sound great with webers!

oh man, this is sweet in person :)