Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ladies And Gentlemen: The Eagle Has Landed!

ismaelg

Hello,

It's finally done! What a fun project this was! I figured that if I was ever going to build a '68 Ford, this was it!

1968 Dan Gurney's Indy 500 car: Weslake powered Olsonite Eagle. He finished 2nd in that race, one of his Eagles won the race.

DSCF1203-vi.jpg

DSCF1179-vi.jpg

DSCF1148-vi.jpg

DSCF1188-vi.jpg

Make sure you check the complete page I did with many more pictures, details and a cool surprise!

Click here for more details, sights and sounds

I'll be the first one to admit the model may not 100% accurate, mainly because of lack of reference material. I believe this is the configuration he used for qualifying.

MPC Eagle kit, 1/25. Reissued in the '90s

Cobra Colors paint

Kit's decals with whites from Cady decals

Here is a list of modifications:

- reworked body for better fit on the sides and top

- machined ignition module

- ignition wiring

- fuel plumbing

- machined cap for the quick change transaxle

- home made aluminum velocity stacks

- plumbed oil filter

- brass half shafts

- 3 piece machined shifter

- brass rear sway bar

- aluminum sheet gas tanks tops

- 6 parts each independent coilovers in brass steel wire and aluminum

- brake lines

- steel wire front sway bar links

- aluminum rear sway bar brackets

- aluminum upper rear coilovers pins

- steel rear sway bar links connected to lower arm

- solder headers

- machined aluminum tailpipes

- scratchbuilt seatbelts and hardware (I know the real ones are black, but I did them in dark red to add some color and contrast to the dark cockpit)

- brass roll bar

- machined dry sump oil tank cap

- aluminum gas tank caps

- aluminum rear wing with steel wire bracing

-.. and many others I don't remember now :lol:

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

Absolutely top of the pile! Definitely your best effort yet. Only one problem.... We expect you to go this far or more from now on! ;):lol: Seriously, after that build, you should find a snapper to throw together! It would be a good break. Keep up the great work! :)

Without any doubt a masterpiece!...

I don't know to say if I had the best time watching the progress on the build up of this historical car, or if I'm enjoing better looking to the pictures of the final product. I n any way I think it's a great piece of history.

Te la comiste bro!..espero verlo pronto en vivo y a todo color.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Incredible enough to inspire one more person to dust off a kit. I started mine a couple of weeks ago. I am no where near as fast as you though. Just got the engine block together and painted. You were right though, the kit parts need some work to fit well. As for the wheels, mine were horribly warped, but I have enough kits to possibly piece together a decent set of four. Funny, I have 4 or 5 of these kits, but hadn't had the gumption to start one till I saw yours. Great work Izzy!!!!

Great job Ismael! One of my all-time favorite race cars...And since race cars are by far my preference over non-racers...well, you get the picture! ... And that brings us to the point of commenting that your photos are excellent too! The lighting, depth of field, composition...all are shaming my efforts. All the pieces you made for this are very well done and scale-correct.

I will now look forward to other works by you.

Richard

great job. I got that kit for Christmas a long time ago. I was only 10 but I remember building it on my grandmothers kitchen table in one day. Of course the paint wasn't dry, fingerprints everywhere. I now have the kit again and will try to do a better job. Just an FYI, the latest edition of RACER masgazine has a large special report on the Gurney Eagles but they are the F1 version. Lots of nice pics and some action shots and a good read.

• 8 months later...
great job. I got that kit for Christmas a long time ago. I was only 10 but I remember building it on my grandmothers kitchen table in one day. Of course the paint wasn't dry, fingerprints everywhere. I now have the kit again and will try to do a better job. Just an FYI, the latest edition of RACER masgazine has a large special report on the Gurney Eagles but they are the F1 version. Lots of nice pics and some action shots and a good read.