Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '62 Corvette Roadster 2'n1

Dr. Cranky

Well, looking it over, the effect presents a bit worse in shots than it does in person. It won't be a huge ordeal to straighten the gas cap lines and the fender seams are actually pretty well placed for you to knock 'em down and know it once you've gotten rid of 'em.

As for the header panel seam right above the CORVETTE script up front, that's bitchier. Maybe a piece of masking tape to protect the script?

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Come on guys, its a cool kit, those little "pesky" issues can be dealt with, that's why we are modelers, we are supposed to be challenged and make something special out of this....

Some of these issues shouldn't have been there if Revell had done better quality control on their product.

Well, I would have like to seen alternate 3-speed and automatic transmissions. While we're at it, lower hp intakes, carbs, valve covers and exhaust. What about RPO 687 brake drums and scoops? And all of the decals to go with them?

Doubt if any kit ever lives up to everybody's wants and desires. But how many times do we build straight out of the box?

When it comes to Corvettes I am VERY prejudiced. I have always loved all things Corvette. My second model ever was an SMP 1959 that I bought at a neighborhood grocery store in 1960. I built dozens of Corvettes as a kid, and as an adult have owned several.

I have waited anxiously for this model to come out. For me, the positive things about it vastly outweigh the negatives. Bought one last week at a premium price and ordered a case at a really decent price from GMS Customs that will not ship for another week or so.

I want tops as much as anyone as I plan to build several classes of Drag and road race replicas. I believe the tops from the '58 and '59 will fit with a bit of massaging.

I wonder how much of a factor the depth of the coves on either side of the grille opening were when it came time to design the "nose" section of the body mold. I (remembering that I have never designed such a mold in my life) would've though the front edge, where the headlight trim rings meet the fenders, would be a better mold section mating point, but maybe that makes things even harder to align?

No matter. The kit's custom wheel are gorgeous, so I'm 100% satisfied. ^_^

. But how many times do we build straight out of the box?

Actually for me, and I know I'm one of the exceptions, I build out of the box over 90% of the time. B) Having said that, I dont see a few rough mold lines to be that big a issue. You can sand carefully around the script, sand the script off , use the decal, or foil cast the script, or use pe. It's not rocket science.

Edited by midnightprowler

Come on guys, its a cool kit, those little "pesky" issues can be dealt with, that's why we are modelers, we are supposed to be challenged and make something special out of this....

AMEN,

No manufactuer is going to please 100% of it's targeted audience.

Personally, I for one would like to have a hard top, ( drag car builds ) other than that it's not on my must have list . As I am not a Vette fan in general

I want - in order - the Cuda, the F100 and the 57 Ford asap

so is it the standard in the world now that one doesnt whine about shortcomings in products but instead accepts it as part of how the world operates under the guise of "oh well we can fix it" as if "fixing" something is just normal? i am not talking just about models here because it seems to be the prevalent thought elsewhere too, that shoddy engineering or manufacturing is just to be overlooked and of course with models one might be more expected than not to "fix" it the way they want it. to me its all part of the globalization of industry and the separation of those making an item from those actually *using* the item.

here especially this is troubling and not because we cant "fix" it...but because if we dont point these things out, a) we wont have anything to talk about (except the Rah Rah section) and B) manufacturers will think they can dish out any old thing and people will fall all over themselves to buy it...and not only that, praise it.

its 1984 in so many ways these days.

Edited by jbwelda

There is plenty of value in critiquing this Revell '62 Vette Roadster, and if those comments help give us better models in the future, even better. Everyone has an opinion on how good the kit is (or how bad), what it needs to make it better, why they will or won't be buying it, and so on, and that's one reason we come here- to discuss model kits, but let's keep this topic about the model, please.

This is why I like this board. I got kicked off another board for voicing my opinion on a similar subject on the then to be released Revell '40 Ford coupe. It took them forever to get that one out, but hey, don't complain.

You have an opinion, voice it. In this circumstance I think everyone is right. I just hope Revell sees the error of their ways and comes up with a fix.

JB and Casey, I'm with ya.

There is plenty of value in critiquing this Revell '62 Vette Roadster, and if those comments help give us better models in the future, even better.

That's certainly true- but...

I'm sure Revell (not to mention the other kit manufacturers) has somebody checking out threads like this. They know what's wrong, and what problem areas modelers are looking out for. Yet I'd be willing to bet that the next all-new kit of a much-anticipated subject will have just as many flaws if you really strap on the goggles and soak the thing in. Is Revell going to go back and address the issues people have spotted on future runs of this kit? My guess is no.

Is it possible to make a kit perfect? Probably. Will it ever happen? From what I've seen, probably not. Every new release has its flaws, even though the kit manufacturers know their products will be put under the microscope. Not saying that's good or bad, just saying that's what happens.

Don't get me wrong- it's good to have any accuracy issues pointed out. We all notice different things- what slips right by me might be a huge issue for the next guy. Having critique like this helps immensely in that regard- it puts the information out there, and the end buyer can choose to fix it or live with it. And like I said, I'm sure that information gets back to the manufacturer. But in spite of all this- no perfect kit. How's that even possible?

To my eyes, the problems discovered by Eric Smith should present no problem to us whatever. Except for perhaps the front. But I always thought it looked tacky to have the make spelled out and would have grinded it all down. Looks good.

I have seen this kit in person. No, the mold lines aren't impossible to fix by any means. They are just unnecessary if this is supposed to be a new tool.

Looking at the '62 Vette nose, it's clear a better job could've been done when it came to aligning the nose and top/hood mold sections/pieces, but with the deep coves on either side of the grille opening, the nose mold piece needs to hit the face of the car square on, so the coves are square and so the mold and body can separate easily. I'm sure there is a lot of engineering related math and experience in tool design necessary to figure out exactly where the mold's body sections should be located and why, how the sliding pieces align and fit together, what the limits of injection molding a one-piece body are, and so on.

It would be interesting to see/compare the Revell '58/'59 'Vette bodies, and see if they had the same or similar mold parting line locations.

Looking at the '62 Vette nose, it's clear a better job could've been done when it came to aligning the nose and top/hood mold sections/pieces, but with the deep coves on either side of the grille opening, the nose mold piece needs to hit the face of the car square on, so the coves are square and so the mold and body can separate easily. I'm sure there is a lot of engineering related math and experience in tool design necessary to figure out exactly where the mold's body sections should be located and why, how the sliding pieces align and fit together, what the limits of injection molding a one-piece body are, and so on.

It would be interesting to see/compare the Revell '58/'59 'Vette bodies, and see if they had the same or similar mold parting line locations.

here's a pic of Revell's ''59 body...I went over the mold separation line with a blue pencil to make it more visible on photo....

DSCN1678.jpg