Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8th Pocher F40 Ferrari

Romell R

Hey fellas Im back with hopefully another good project. Actually this was my holygrail of projects, I've wanted to build a pocher F40 for years but could never seem to get the kit due to the rarity of it , you know how it works the more rare the more costly it becomes. On ebay these Kits run from anywhere up wards of $500.00 - $1200.00 I was able to get mine as a poorly built glue bomb for $250.00.

Also I have the latest AutoGraph Trans Kit on the way from Germany these trans kits sell for around $2000.00 but will completely transform the pocher kit into a museum quality build.

My first order of business was to dis-assemble the F40 and clean up the parts (there are over 300 seperate parts) and get it ready for the arrival of the Trans Kit.

So without further ado lets get this thread started.....

Heres the F40 when it arrived....

dismantle010.jpg

here the body has been removed....

dismantle015.jpg

dismantle016.jpg

and finaly the motor removed.

dismantle021.jpg

At this stage the Pocher F40 is merly a exspensive Diecast if you ask me, but I love it! B)

Edited by Romell R

Alriiight- I can't wait to see how this one turns out! The Pocher does look pretty toylike out of the box, but I'm guessing that's nothing that an expert builder and a few thousand dollars worth of fine German aftermarket parts can't fix. So, Romell, do you give this project one week or two?

Alriiight- I can't wait to see how this one turns out! The Pocher does look pretty toylike out of the box, but I'm guessing that's nothing that an expert builder and a few thousand dollars worth of fine German aftermarket parts can't fix. So, Romell, do you give this project one week or two?

You know I have heard that hundreds of these trans kits have been sold but only a handful of builders have completed it. I'll be taking my time with this one we'll just have to see how it goes.

Rommel; Nice project. I'll tell you the autograph transkit will really make it into a MODEL; no two ways about it.....you are gonna love transforming that pocher into the type of car you usually do. The great thing about that generation Pocher: the paint is so bad in most cases; it generally comes right off with lacquer thinner. I did a bunch of Testarossa re-paints last year....just fill a big tub with primer grade thinner, chuck in the parts; and the paint will just peel off....be sure to put a lid on the tub....it saves a ton of work. Looks like fun! Matt

Rommel; Nice project. I'll tell you the autograph transkit will really make it into a MODEL; no two ways about it.....you are gonna love transforming that pocher into the type of car you usually do. The great thing about that generation Pocher: the paint is so bad in most cases; it generally comes right off with lacquer thinner. I did a bunch of Testarossa re-paints last year....just fill a big tub with primer grade thinner, chuck in the parts; and the paint will just peel off....be sure to put a lid on the tub....it saves a ton of work. Looks like fun! Matt

Thanks Matt im gonna strip the body today your tip will help. B)

Good luck with the new project..

Just figured I'd show you this as some motivation its an pretty epic W.I.P. of one of these kit's

http://www.f1m.com/f...2bcec39d62bcbb0

(you have to scroll down before the pic's start...)

Hope it helps some how!

That WIP was incredible! and it certainly inspires me. Thanks for sharing this with us. B)

I'm gonna love seeing what you do to this kit. Would it be possible to give us a few shots of the transkit to see what's in it?

The trans kit is still in transit im exspecting it any day now, but i'll take pleanty of pics of it when it gets here.

Is the transkit the one that include the racing OZ wheels and racing slicks? WOW...if these are again available will order one, have one of these Pocher F40 that want to build into one of the F40LM version or GT class racing configuration.

Knowing your attention to detail and accuracy and with the amazing Autograph transkit this new project of yours will be another scale masterpiece.

So, they come prepainted then?

Yes they do...the metal body series of Pocher which are the Ferraris, wish that they have made them like all the other Pocher regular 1/8 kit line of classics...plastic bodys, Making body mods. would have been much more easy in term of cutting and blending, my very personal opinion of course, hey they did the Porsche in plastic which I think it was Pocher last model offering before going out of business.

Their metal body paint jobs are sooooo bad and fragile mainly because they seem to have painted over the bare diecast metal...no primer...at least not echtching metal primer, even a small preassure on a metal part a A BIG chunk of paint will come off. I remember when Model Expo Co. was selling their "overstock" of the Pocher Ferrari line, you could have the F40 or Testarossa for only $199 in monthly payments!!!......and of course in the same BIG kit line the Nichimo Yamato Battleship in 1/200 scale for $149..now try to find a mint unbuilt Pocher for less than $800 and the battleship for less than $300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the transkit the one that include the racing OZ wheels and racing slicks? WOW...if these are again available will order one, have one of these Pocher F40 that want to build into one of the F40LM version or GT class racing configuration.

Knowing your attention to detail and accuracy and with the amazing Autograph transkit this new project of yours will be another scale masterpiece.

No the OZ kit is no longer available Im getting the latest kit its called the "SpeedLine" and it comes with the Speedline multipart aluminum rims these are the original F40 street wheels

I figured while im waiting on the trans kit id start painting some parts.

I was able to get the textured look of the vavle covers by spraying at about 16 inches away from the parts they were sprayed with Testors Itailian red.

alilpaint002.jpg

these are the exhaust heat shields sprayed with a light coating of alclad pale burnt metal, i'll spray them once more to get em a lil darker...

alilpaint003.jpg

And heres the tranny with a lil alclad white aluminum.....

alilpaint004.jpg

I may be jumping the gun here so these colors may change. I hope you enjoyed..... B)

Edited by Romell R

Looks like my trans kit is held up in customs so i busyed myself with a few small details , i made a engine stand, drilled some holes, removed some bolt heads painted a few parts...... heres what i have. i hope you enjoy

enginestand003.jpg

enginestand004.jpg

i made the header end pipes from steel rod all of this will get repainted later..

enginestand005.jpg

thanks for looking in......

I like what I see so far Rom. Nice and clean work.

Hope you get your transkit soon.

Mark

P.S. you might want to take a look here : http://modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=15509/#.UBMhdqPN6So

This guy has done the same build (I think) that you are planning. The language is Dutch, but if you need any help, I'll be glad to do my best to translate for you.

I like what I see so far Rom. Nice and clean work.

Hope you get your transkit soon.

Mark

P.S. you might want to take a look here : http://modelbrouwers...9/#.UBMhdqPN6So

This guy has done the same build (I think) that you are planning. The language is Dutch, but if you need any help, I'll be glad to do my best to translate for you.

Thanks mark I checked it out and ive actually seen this guys build before on an english site, i talk to him on another forum and he's provided me with some excellent wiring reference. thanks again buddy for the heads up!