Model Cars Magazine Forum

2009 Dodge Challenger

allparish12

Hi guys, I just wanted to say first off that I have been a lurker here for quite some time and just love the interaction, advice/tips, etc... that this site has to offer. Everyone is so encouraging regardless of skill level. So with that being said, i would like to show you all my attempt to get back into modeling after a few year hiatus. Im hoping to try and work on something at least 2x during the week and weekends when possible.

First up, as the title says, 2009 Dodge Challenger. Here is a mock up pick of it. The wheels come from a Dub City Escalade IIRC, so they might not look to scale, but one thing I know for sure is that I don't want to use the stock rims at all. There are some modifications I have plans for, but we'll see how everything turns out. Feedback is welcomed. Thanks guys. I look forward to reading comments/suggestions.

dodge.jpg

You've definitely come to the right place if you're looking to make your way back into the hobby. What kind of mods do you have planned?

well if I stick with these wheels, I will have to do some modifying to make them fit...

-possibly opening the trunk, doors

-maybe a moonroof

-and wait for it....some working lights ~gasps~...lol...im not sure about this one, just yet though...

Guest Sickfish

Mate let me say, first off, it's great that you're back into the hobby & you've picked a real nice kit/subject 

I'm currently in the process of building the same kit. Mine is going to be as stock as possible, even down to the colour. I went down to a local auto paint supply shop & they managed to mix me up some Green with Envy ( new for 2011) & some Furious Fuchsia. Both beautiful colours 

I agree with you on the stock rims. They're under scale & the tyres are garbage. I did find a solution though, to get them bigger, without too much trouble  . But back to your build ....

I don't know how else to put it, delicately & without offending your chosen wheels, but mate those wheels look stupid.... Please don't be offended, it's just my own opinion. The challenger is a big car, although the stock rims supplied in the kit represent 18in, they should be 20in but your's look at least 30in?? They make the Challenger look tiny... Like a clown car  I've had to make some minor modifications, to the suspension ( rear ) to get my 20in wheels in but I'm afraid you're going to have major issue's ( front & rear ) to get those giant wheels in there...? You'll probably have to cut up the chassis a fair bit & not be able to use the kit supplied suspension. I'm not, in any way/shape or form, telling you not to build it your way, it is your build, I'm just giving you a head's up on the issues you're going to have if you go ahead with wanting to use those wheels.

Anyway, good luck with it all mate 

Cheers Cliffo 

Mate let me say, first off, it's great that you're back into the hobby & you've picked a real nice kit/subject 

I'm currently in the process of building the same kit. Mine is going to be as stock as possible, even down to the colour. I went down to a local auto paint supply shop & they managed to mix me up some Green with Envy ( new for 2011) & some Furious Fuchsia. Both beautiful colours 

I agree with you on the stock rims. They're under scale & the tyres are garbage. I did find a solution though, to get them bigger, without too much trouble  . But back to your build ....

I don't know how else to put it, delicately & without offending your chosen wheels, but mate those wheels look stupid.... Please don't be offended, it's just my own opinion. The challenger is a big car, although the stock rims supplied in the kit represent 18in, they should be 20in but your's look at least 30in?? They make the Challenger look tiny... Like a clown car  I've had to make some minor modifications, to the suspension ( rear ) to get my 20in wheels in but I'm afraid you're going to have major issue's ( front & rear ) to get those giant wheels in there...? You'll probably have to cut up the chassis a fair bit & not be able to use the kit supplied suspension. I'm not, in any way/shape or form, telling you not to build it your way, it is your build, I'm just giving you a head's up on the issues you're going to have if you go ahead with wanting to use those wheels.

Anyway, good luck with it all mate 

Cheers Cliffo 

I appreciate the honest criticism. I have tough skin :lol: so I appreciate the feedback...

but thats the reason i asked...i didnt want the car to look too outrageous, but the stock wheels just dont do it for me. I have a couple of wheel sets I purchased off ebay from a few years ago, but that was during the period of the spinning rims trend, so those might be a tad bit outdated...idk though

got any wheel suggestions?

Guest Sickfish

Kelvin, glad to hear I've not offended you & that at least there's 2 of us that have tough skin 

Mate I've been on eBay very recently & there are some really good wheel/tyre combinations avail' at decent prices...

Just search wheel/tire in the Hobby section & you should get quite a few hits. My suggestion is the Aoshima 20inch 2-part rims  they're the perfect size for the Chally's wheel-wells & there's less mods to be done to fit them. Another reason, if you are able to get a set or 2, is you can, if you really wanted to, use the Chally's stock rims with the Aoshimas... All you need to do is cut the stock rim in half, laterally , shave off the outer rim, cut out the middle spoked area on the Aoshimas & fit the stock rims inside the Aoshima rim. The Aoshima chrome outer ring then just slots on no prob'  Its pretty simple, if you can bear to cut up a perfectly good set of rims & at roughly $10-12 it's not a huge amount of $$. I have a few sets so it didn't bother me & I really wanted the stock rims for my Chally 

If you'd like me to post pics of my fabbed-up rims, as I've described, let me know 

Cheers Cliffo 

Kelvin, glad to hear I've not offended you & that at least there's 2 of us that have tough skin 

Mate I've been on eBay very recently & there are some really good wheel/tyre combinations avail' at decent prices...

Just search wheel/tire in the Hobby section & you should get quite a few hits. My suggestion is the Aoshima 20inch 2-part rims  they're the perfect size for the Chally's wheel-wells & there's less mods to be done to fit them. Another reason, if you are able to get a set or 2, is you can, if you really wanted to, use the Chally's stock rims with the Aoshimas... All you need to do is cut the stock rim in half, laterally , shave off the outer rim, cut out the middle spoked area on the Aoshimas & fit the stock rims inside the Aoshima rim. The Aoshima chrome outer ring then just slots on no prob'  Its pretty simple, if you can bear to cut up a perfectly good set of rims & at roughly $10-12 it's not a huge amount of $$. I have a few sets so it didn't bother me & I really wanted the stock rims for my Chally 

If you'd like me to post pics of my fabbed-up rims, as I've described, let me know 

Cheers Cliffo 

Thanks Cliff for all the kind words of encouragement...sure, i would love to see what you have come up with...I will go back on ebay sometime this evening and see if I find anything I like. I noticed the Aoshima wheels, but most of the listers dont take them out of the box in their pictures, so I dont have anything to go off of when i only have the box art to look at.

Kelvin, glad to see you back into building I to had a long gap in building to. This is a favorite car of mine to build I've done 2 so far and have my 3rd one waiting. Let me know if you need any 1:1 pictures for the details. What color are you going to use.

Kelvin, glad to see you back into building I to had a long gap in building to. This is a favorite car of mine to build I've done 2 so far and have my 3rd one waiting. Let me know if you need any 1:1 pictures for the details. What color are you going to use.

good question...lol...i like the color in you avatar...

but i want something that will pop if you know what i mean...I will probably be using the Dupli-color line of paints as I've read some good things about them from other modelers...

but those reference pics would be great if you dont mind

Guest Sickfish

Kelvin & Dan, here's how I made the Challenger stock wheels in a larger, more scale correct size...

First pic is the Aoshima wheel/tire set I used. They're avail' on EBay for $9-12.

f4d922f7.jpg

I cut out the center spokes & sanded the top flush.

d28492f0.jpg

Here is the stock Challenger rim. The blacked out areas you cut off & sand down, so you're left with half the rim. Obviously you can strip the chrome, as I did & paint it with a flat black or as I did, testors black chrome trim, it's shinier than flat but not as shiny as semi-gloss 

Once you've done all that just fit the stock rim into the Aoshima rim ( flush) ... Then add the chrome outer ring & add tyre... Here's what you should end up with...

44fb0c01.jpg

75f37a54.jpg

870b21ac.jpg

Any dramas or questions just ask 

Cheers Cliffo 

Cliff!! That is a VERY neat modification you did...Im about to go on ebay RIGHT now to see if i can find some Aoshima rims...

looks like you painted the stock Challenger rims...did you strip the chrome off then paint??

Thanks a ton bro

Edit: I re-read the post and saw that you did strip the chrome off...silly me...lol

Edited by allparish12

Guest Sickfish

No probs Kelvin... Here you go.... ( I used the spare custom rim/s that come with the kit as I had already made the stockies ) these rims are exactly the same size etc.

d5a940b2.jpg

Here the rim is cut 

4c4f66a2.jpg

a5e3d6f2.jpg

Here's the rim after sanding back the thick middle section & what you're left with 

9c5af453.jpg

Shave off the core section of the Aoshima rim & place "new" stock rim inside. I placed new rim in via the front of the Aoshima rim as it slide's in firmer & without the need for glue . It's nice & comfy in there. All you need do now is throw on the nice Aoshima tyres & place the chrome ring on... Done! 

Hope this help's you out mate?

Cheers Cliffo 

Guest Sickfish

cool...thanks once again Cliff...i really mean it...hopefully, i will have an update in a few days..

Happy to help Kelvin 

Cheers Cliffo!

You, I have been looking for larger rims for an escalade build of mine. I have some from(I think) an 1:18 scale dakota diecast. They differ from what you have though.

those are actually from a Dub City Escalade model. I got them from one of my little cousins a couple years back. He was going to just throw the truck away until i said "whooooooa, not so fast!"....

Kalvin if you are still looking for a color that make the Challenger pop I would go with the Deninator Yellow thet are the ones that stand out the most

hmmm...thanks...i will give that one a look

ok guys, dis some work today but not much...i violated probably one of the most important rules when it comes to modeling and that was make sure you have your materials before you begin...lol

all the glue and putty i had from a while back has dried rock solid. The nearest hobby shop is a good way from where i live, so I really have to be in the mood to go on that side of town to get something...who knows, i might make the trip today or tomorrow...

I will post some pics later

ok guys, dis some work today but not much...i violated probably one of the most important rules when it comes to modeling and that was make sure you have your materials before you begin...lol

all the glue and putty i had from a while back has dried rock solid. The nearest hobby shop is a good way from where i live, so I really have to be in the mood to go on that side of town to get something...who knows, i might make the trip today or tomorrow...

I will post some pics later

I'm quite spoiled. I have a Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and an RC/Model shop within 3 mins of my house.

I'm quite spoiled. I have a Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and an RC/Model shop within 3 mins of my house.

Hobby Lobby is about the same distance as that hobby shop, but hobby lobby (at least to my knowledge) doesnt sell the putty or the glue that i want...I may pass by m LHS tomorrow though at some point

ok, so if you read my previous posts, you saw that i didnt have any glue or putty today, so my progress was limited to what I could do with masking tape and some styrene...keep in mind i am in NO way nor to I claim to be a car enthusiast, so if i dont know the technical name for something, then i apologize upfront...I just like the idea of putting things together...so with that being said, I've seen kits where there was a decal that had HEMI written on the side of the body, but i didnt want to replicate a decal...i wanted to replicate the actual modification to the body...It was actually easier than i thought...

*I spoilered the pics b/c of the size...i didnt realize they were that big

I start by looking at a source pic off the net, then eye balling where the measurements should be...from there i used a red pen on top of some masking tape and traced my pattern...I used about three layers of tape

STP61012.jpg

From there, i slowly peel the tape off, then transfer it on to the styrene sheet..

STP61018.jpg

I used some scissors to cut, then hand sanded the edges of the styrene...I may have to use a lighter to make the styrene bend to the shape of the car, but it will be a very light usage of heat...but the pic below is the styrene being held against the car with tape :(

STP61020.jpg

My plan when i get my glue and putty is to form fit the styrene to the body to make it all look uniform...until next time

Guest Sickfish

Kel'.... No need to be unfamiliar with car "terms" it's all good mate  The area ( decals ) that are seen on Muscle cars, mainly the ' Plymouth 'cuda, that you're copying, are called "billboards"  It's a cool idea you have  But did you know there's a company called IceNine that actually make's 1:1 Challengers with the mods you're planning? One of their challenger's is in the new Fast 5 movie, right at the end, driven by Vin Diesel.... Here's a pic... If you need more check out their website 

Oh yeh... Just a tip, I've done similar work to rear 1/4 panels too. I've found the best way to do these mods is with thinner sheets of styrene, building the layers up until the desired thickness. It's easier this way & allow's flexibility to the car's bodyshape  Then when you have the desired thickness, adding putty & sanding is much easier too 

0dbb0863.jpg

e95cc58f.jpg

Cheers Cliffo 

Edited by Sickfish