Model Cars Magazine Forum

retro and rat rods, just dont get it.......

We can compare the different styles all we want, defend them, detract from them, until we are all blue in the face, but the song remains the same for me:

Build what your imagination desires, what your heart imagines, etc . . .

I said it before, my own worse enemy is boredom and tedious monotony which is a redundancy. :lol:

you said it!!!

btw, do you ever sleep?

looks like these things were built right at a flea market.....

See, I like rat rods but have to agree with you about these two. But I also believe you shouldn't judge a whole class of cars solely by the poorly done examples. Back in the eighties when prostreet was the craze the purists where screaming about how the tub guys were destroying the hobby and hacking up valuable cars, the song remains the same today. There are works of art in every niche of the hobby but there are twice as many cars that miss the mark, some due to poor styling and others due poor construction. In a hobby where anyone with some tools and place to work can build a car the results are always going to be hit or miss.

I like "traditional" hot rods. You know, strip it down, and make it fast. In my mind, I see the "perfect" rod as a highboy, maybe a '29 or '32, most definitely a 23-T Bucket. I think the "rat rods" are a movement against the billet-built, rubber-band tire, electronic-engined street rod. I think the owner, or builder, is trying to re-create something from the past. Maybe it’s a reminder of where street rods -- and just as well throw in pro street, etc. -- came from. Shoot, you could call it history or industrial art. Call it American, too. And remember that money mattered. It was being smart in a do-it-yourself, one-of-a-kind, I'll-figure-it-out sort of way. Not cubic dollars, but guys getting together or being a lone wolf, always stretching a buck. Speed isn't cheap. But, those guys had to make it cheap. Primer kept metal from rusting. OK, job done....candy apple is great if you have the bucks. Or, spend that money on a mighty motor. Paint jobs don't make you faster, so make it real, or else forget about it.

About as much fad as I like is the bobbed pickup bed instead of the turtleback or fuel tank of a T- Bucket. I'd take a stripped '29 on '32 rails, add some juicers and baffle the pipes. Three 97s on an Offy is fine, sitting atop a flattie, Caddy, or maybe even an Olds. Small-block Chevys are welcome, but somewhat discouraged. American 12-spokes or Halli kidney beans on the front and American Torques or Halli five-holes work on the rear. So does a set of steelies, reversed or not, plated or not, maybe some Baby Moons....French some taillights, if you must.above the rear loop bumper. About as exotic as I would get would be a quickie on the rear, an Olds or GMC is fine. Call it cheap chic. Call it real. It's all about the beginnings and early days. Giving birth is messy...and wasn't always safe. Get my drift? One hundred forty with the top end floored...it was all about being different, better, faster...

What he said X 2, every word speaks to me. I love it. :wub:

Always have to chuckle when I see a "rat rod" (because we don't all have the money for billit and shiney paint!") with wheels & tires that cost more than the car they're bolted to!

But just one example...

HotRodwHudsongrill01.jpg

whats not cool about piecing together your own,one of a kind rod?I have never and will never keep up with the Jones's.Tractors are my hot rods.I'm anti-Jones,if you will.Did everybody run out and get your new Camaro yet?

whats not cool about piecing together your own,one of a kind rod?I have never and will never keep up with the Jones's.Tractors are my hot rods.I'm anti-Jones,if you will.Did everybody run out and get your new Camaro yet?

whats wrong with buying a new camaro? I did

but im also building a 63 nova, and have a stock pile of 100 cars (38 novas/acadians for parts, etc) with my father. Just cause I have a new Car doesnt mean I dont have the skills/know how and or want to build something. In my stock of 1:1 "projects" is a 26 tall t , which I plan to mate with a mid 50s caddy mill and a plethora of other junk I find.

whats wrong with buying a new camaro? I did

but im also building a 63 nova, and have a stock pile of 100 cars (38 novas/acadians for parts, etc) with my father. Just cause I have a new Car doesnt mean I dont have the skills/know how and or want to build something. In my stock of 1:1 "projects" is a 26 tall t , which I plan to mate with a mid 50s caddy mill and a plethora of other junk I find.

I'm not against it.i'm just not an off the rack kinda guy.Your other stuff sounds cooler.Your lucky to have such projects,good luck with them.Got any pics?I've seen the Camaros.

The way I see it Retro- stands for catching th e look of a classic model and incorporated in the new ones.

Just like the new mussle cars and even eurocars like ferrari and mercedez.

now Rat Rod,...is building a basic to radical ride out of spare parts, (NO NEW OR MANUFACTURE PARTS).

Now I see the confussion. Like everthing a concept evolutions when it mixes with other ideals.

and tht is just great. Car culture is just that, culture and we cant stop it from melting and re enventing it's self.

LET'S ENJOY IT....CAUSE I DON'T THINK THE IDEA OF FLYING CARS IS NOT HAPPENING IN OUR LIVE TIME.

here's a better perspective IMHO: somebody sees the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and starts thinking; "Gee, i'd love to have something like that in my house.." and begins to research the requisites for getting a mural done by a master artist in wet plaster...

then decides he can get the same results with some poster paints and shoeshine brushes. halfway through, he realizes his efforts are little more than the wild splashing of a drunken chimp, and then finishes it where he's at and claims it as "Art, my way".....

there's a whole genre of "Art Cars" out there; wrought iron VW Beetles, sharks on wheels, etc... they're amusing and thought provoking in many instances. taking a pile of rusted scrap and snot-welding it together, throwing all sense of style and proportion out of the window, and expecting no one to react negatively to it isn't facing reality.

not everyone is an artist, not everyone is a doctor, not everyone is an engineer... and staying at Holiday Inn Express last night doesn't make anyone a genius, either.

If Foose is building cars up to his previous levels, and painting them to look rattish, at least he's making sure they operate properly.

But there are poor builders in every area of the car hobby not just rats. There are plenty of guys that "restore" there cars with incorrect engines and wheels and finish it off with a Maaco paint job but their poor effort don't detract from the actual concours correct cars out there. No one is claiming that all rats are the paragons of automotive perfection and safelty but don't judge them all by the bad ones.

Edited by Fat Brian

Um...since you aren't anyone of us (or anyone of us anyone other than ourselves...),'zat make you "other people"? :P Self fulfilling prophecy,and I just joined it,hahaha,because since I'm not you,I'm your "other people" and am therefore wrong too... :P:lol:

As John & Paul (and I suspect Mary Jane) said I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

I grew up around guys who were older (cousins and friends) and who were in college and on budgets. It was the early to mid '60s and there was something new each week it seemed. So, these guys (I got to tag along) went to the races, looking and asking about cast-offs. There were still a lot of 30's bodies, OHV Olds and Pontiacs, Hydromatics, finned drums, you name it.

So, I learned to split wishbones to make radius rods. I learned to use Bondo-type stuff and primer. I learned to make a few horsepower here and there. And, I loved it all....even when I learned -- being "the kid" -- parts cleaning! (Automotive 52-card pick-up)

So, with a fast forward to when I re-entered the hobby, I quickly noted I still could not get a shiny paint job, I didn't want to pay to rechrome parts that I cleaned up (or take a month to get them back), and foil was, and is, still a mystery.

So, while I primarily build dioramas, they all feature a backyard budget build. Fits my tastes and abilities. Oh, I did get some SpazStick and some Tamiya lacquers and someday, I will use those coveted CAE hairpins, the quickie rears, the tube front axles, and chrome them all. They'll be under a shiny body...maybe a Fiat, a Bantam...maybe a '29 high-boy or a T-Bucket. But until then, it's just like the old days...couldn't paint shiny models as a kid, still can't. Spraying primer on the body of a (real) roadster stopped rust...now, it just looks smoother on my models than my attempts to paint. Just like the old days with real cars, the idea was to get 'em on the road. Today, it's get them done!

Edited by Dave Pye

"weathering" should not be a cover up for poor workmanship.

1:1 Rat Rods might be looked upon as a gateway vehicle. an outlet in design & execution by inexperience, yet driven by enthusiasm. 5% may go on to refine style & craftsmanship, others drift off into other endeavors.

or just a chance to hang with friends, have a beer, and bolt or weld ###### together. we might be guilty of over analysing this!

I think the social aspects of rat rodding are well chronicled in magazines. Hanging out with friends is what makes the best part of attending shows.

yes, agreed, but for instance, this weekend is the mopar nats, i have attended it for years, until lately. friends come from all over and gather together. and each year, the cars look better and better, new paint, chrome, interiors, even overrestored. conversations lean to getting new this or that from year 1, summit, legendary.

i cant even imagine the conversation with the rat rod crowd...." yea, i' put my fenders outside this winter for some more rust, dont they look great" or "got some old posters this weekend for my headliner" or "i had my neighbors kids come over and wet sand the body"

yes, agreed, but for instance, this weekend is the mopar nats, i have attended it for years, until lately. friends come from all over and gather together. and each year, the cars look better and better, new paint, chrome, interiors, even overrestored. conversations lean to getting new this or that from year 1, summit, legendary.

i cant even imagine the conversation with the rat rod crowd...." yea, i' put my fenders outside this winter for some more rust, dont they look great" or "got some old posters this weekend for my headliner" or "i had my neighbors kids come over and wet sand the body"

Have you ever talked to rat rod guys?

90% of the rat rod guys I've met were the biggest posers in the world. They talk krap about people who have well built and shiney cars, meanwhile they're driving the biggest POS ever with an expanded metal floor.

Yeah, that's the social aspect I want to be part of.

There is a huge difference between a traditional hot rod with patina, than a rat rod.

90% of the rat rod guys I've met were the biggest posers in the world. They talk krap about people who have well built and shiney cars, meanwhile they're driving the biggest POS ever with an expanded metal floor.

Yeah, that's the social aspect I want to be part of.

There is a huge difference between a traditional hot rod with patina, than a rat rod.

I've never had problems with rat rod guys. The only people I've had problems with are the guys with shiny, built-up cars who think they're the top of the world. I feel like the rat guys are more down to earth than most of the shiny car guys.

yes, i have talked to rat rod guys, also import guys, biker guys, stock guys and any other type of car guy that rolls in. i like to get a feel for why these people build or drive what they do. as far as the a-hole or idiots, you will find them in every group. no doubt about that!

in my opinion, i would say that the most, lets just say "stuck on himself" guy is the one who paid to have his stock, rare factory musclecar over-restored and shows up at the show with it on a trailor and bosts about how much its worth!! i have plenty of stories 'bout this but i will save it for another topic we all can chime in on.