Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inspiration Strikes!

Over the weekend I was organizing many kits for future builds. I was kitbashing dozens of kits, placing resin, parts, decals and reference photos in kits and labling the boxes so I know what the proposed project is.

One of the trucks that I was prepping really struck my fancy, so I moved it to the #1 spot on the workbench.

Here is the real truck:

357_123_michiganspecial.jpg

Here is my version:

357_michigan_lg.jpg

This is an early 90's Peterbilt 357-123 (123" BBC), butterfly hood and flat fenders.

357_123_left.jpg

My 357 uses a resin Peterbilt 379 cab and hood modified, an AMT PB 359 chassis and running gear, resin front tires/wheels from Rick Mark, as is the mudflap material on the rear fenders. The fenders are resin PB 353 fenders from Spauldings (modified).

357_123_side.jpg

The bumper is scratchbuilt. Fuel tanks are AMT, the steps, aircleaner and rear fenders are from Revell kits. The rear wheels are from an Ertl Volvo (metal frame) kit.

357_123_rhr.jpg

The white mudflaps are Evergreen plastic with vinyl Peterbilt logos from WhiteFang resin/model parts from Australia.

I started this 357 on monday and finished it this evening, with just enough sunlight to snap some photos. The resin grille/crown has a warp to it that I didn't notice until after it was installed, it is concave at the bottom creating an odd look.

Thanks for looking!

Tim

Dave

Here's a quick guide to Peterbilt model numbers and configurations:

379 aluminum hood traditional cab highway. Available in 119" BBC and 127" BBC (to be replaced in Jan 07 by 388 (123") and 389 (131").

378 fiberglass hood, sloped. Traditional cab. Highway and construction.

Also available in setback front axle (SBFA)

357 looks just like a 378 but heavier chassis and specific component options.

Available SBFA, SFFA, 115" BBC and 111" as well as standard 119".

Until late 90's was available in 123" BBC with steel butterfly hood and flat fenders (as my model shows)

377 sloped fiberglass hood with contoured fenders. Available in 120" BBC and shorter (can't remember BBC). Also available in axle forward.

377 was freshened in '98 and looked exactly like a 385.

385 replaced 377 in '00 with the last 377 built around that time. (385-120 and 377-120 A/E are identicle).

387 is the wide cab slope hood that shares some pieces with the KW T2000.

There is also the 330, 335, 376 and a few others with the 379 family cab since 1987.

Pre 1987 had the 359, 349, 353, 387(steel butterfly hood construction), and many others.

go to http://tahlborn.web.aplus.net/PB.htm I have the various models explained briefly.

Tim