Model Cars Magazine Forum

A little Photoshop art...

Harry P.

When you say "drawn" what do you start with?

A reference photo as my base layer. Then I "draw" on layers above, making whatever changes I want... like the custom touches on the Corvette, chopping a top, adding flames, changing color, drawing new wheels, etc. These illustrations are completely drawn in Photoshop... nothing is lifted from a "real" photo. I use the base layer photo as my guide, but everything you see in these illustrations was created by me 100% using Photoshop as my paintbrush and/or airbrush.

Basically what I do is like what we (you and I and other artists) did in the old days, by projecting the image via an Art-O-Graph onto our drawing surface. In the old days that would have been illustration board. Today it's my monitor screen.

Harry, if you did all that with the Pen tool in PhotoShop, you really should give Illustrator a spin. It's a much better vector tool...IMO

Great work. I thought the bike was a photo.

Dale

I use the brush and airbrush tool mostly, almost never the pen tool.

I also use Illustrator a lot, but for my "real" work (brochures, ads, newsletters, etc.). I prefer PS for pure illustration work... I love the flexibility of PS... the vector nature of Illustrator just doesn't work as well for me and the way I like to work. PS works more like a "real" airbrush or paintbrush, especially when doing "freehand" type of painting, because of the raster nature of the software. Illustrator is too "controlled" and tight... I like Illustrator for laying out print pieces, but I prefer PS for "painting."

Here are a few more PS pieces... sorry, not car related, but examples of why I like to "paint" in PS instead of Illustrator...

samantha.jpg

elvis.jpg

springsteen.jpg

These are great Harry. You have an accomplished level of patience (and technique of course). Some winners there.

I love Illustrator too. I like the file sizes and being resolution "free." But for as much time as it takes to perfect a gradient mesh, you might as well use PS and just paint it. An added benefit of regular PS use is it's developed my eye for using my Badger airbrush in my modeling.

I love Illustrator too. I like the file sizes and being resolution "free." But for as much time as it takes to perfect a gradient mesh, you might as well use PS and just paint it.

Exactly. PS works much more like a "real" paintbrush or airbrush works. To get the same look in Illustrator is a lot harder and clunkier to do.

• 2 weeks later...