Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two-Tone Question

Would anyone have any information as to whether or not this style of 2-tone treatment was available as an option on the '59 Bonneville? I thought I had seen photos of others like this, but the more I research, the less I find on it. From 99% of the photos I'm seeing, A 2-tone paint job on the '59 Bonneville consisted of, "body one color, top another". I kind of like this look, but I'd kind of like to keep this build a little closer to historically accurate. Steve

Pontiac-Bonneville-2-Dr-Hard-Top-1959-05

I don't recall any such paint treatment on '59 Oldsmobiles when they were new (I turned 15 in the summer of '59, and was as car-crazy as any teenager on the planet). That looks to be either a dealer-painted treatment, or perhaps the restorer wanted it that way?

Art

I don't recall any such paint treatment on '59 Oldsmobiles when they were new (I turned 15 in the summer of '59, and was as car-crazy as any teenager on the planet). That looks to be either a dealer-painted treatment, or perhaps the restorer wanted it that way?

Art

This is a Pontiac Art. :) Many of the Oldsmobiles were 2-tone. Even some of the Chevies. Buick & Pontiac.....not so much. I've also seen quite a few photos of '59 Bonnevilles with a 2-tone with the lower body under the side trim a different color than the upper. Not sure if that was an option either. Don't really like the look of it anyway.

Steve

I also was a very Car Crazy teen in '59. The paint treatment in your picture I think is something done after they bought the car. The only tutone paint treatments that I recall had either the roof painted usually a lighter color than the body, or the roof and the area below the side moldings painted to match. I do remember seeing cars that had been painted with the area between the fins and the valley running down the hood to match. This was done by the owners and not from the factory.