Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairmont drag car build - Hanging/hinging DS door 8/10/16

Looks sharp Scott. It's obvious that you're as fussy as anybody can/could be. It truly shows. Now you've got to go hit the lottery so that you can quit your job and get this build finished!! :) Cheers, Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Wow,great looking build.Your attention to all the details,is incredible.I checked out your web site recently.Great looking stuff.Hopefully,I can buy one for myself.Im sure U can say,that several people want one.Just keep us informed.Id really like to build one of Glidden's old cars.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• 1 month later...

As usual, progress on my Fairmont build has gone by fits and starts.  The positive thing is, I do have some progress to report.

I received some very cool front and rear brake hats/hubs back in June that will find their way onto this build.  This pic shows the bare front hub beside an assembled hat/rotor/stud assembly.  I developed a set of retrofit slotted rotors that I've decided I'm going to use on this build instead of the drilled set.

Hub%20stud%20pan%20tunnel%20pics%20005_z

A little bit higher angle of the rear assembly.  The rears were machined to accept my photo etch brake rotors and have the equivalent of a 5” bolt circle.  The front hubs have a slightly smaller bolt circle and stud hole diameter and should work really nicely for a set of spindle mount wheels

Hub%20stud%20pan%20tunnel%20pics%20003_z

What the rear looks like with the rear brakes mocked up on the axles:

Hub%20stud%20pan%20tunnel%20pics%20006_z

Hub%20stud%20pan%20tunnel%20pics%20007_z

In addition to the hub detail, I finally got around to working on the trans tunnel and pan.

I was a bit concerned about removing the tunnel integral with the pan because I wasn’t sure how much flex it would introduce into the pan, but it seems manageable.

Hub%20stud%20pan%20tunnel%20pics%20013_z

Hub%20stud%20pan%20tunnel%20pics%20014_z

Hub%20stud%20pan%20tunnel%20pics%20015_z

Hub%20stud%20pan%20tunnel%20pics%20016_z

Hub%20stud%20pan%20tunnel%20pics%20017_z

I build some stepped receivers into the floor pan under which the flanges on the tunnel fit.  They add some finish and a bit of rigidity to the floor.  The PE tunnel is actually a two-piece unit.

Since the new system doesn't appear to let me preview how things look, I hope everything is more or less in order.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Edited by futurattraction
Added text