Model Cars Magazine Forum

BladeRunner Spinner w/Lights

O.K. I moved this thread from "On the Bench" to here since this is a scifi subject. I'm shortening the originl text and will mainly show pics and videos of my progress. Pics are clickable.

th_fujimispinner.jpg

The Spinner, by Fujimi, will be lit with over thirty 1.8mm and SMT LEDs. Short video of some of the LEDs going into this build.

th_spinner-1.jpg

Working on modifying light housings to accept the new LEDs. Stock on left and modified on the right.

th_Aug26042.jpg

th_Aug26043.jpg

Short video testing 1.8mm LED in one of the bubble domes for the roof.

th_lights.jpg

Working on making the doors operable as well. Scribing along the window frames to seperate the side glass using my pinvise and sewing needle.

th_Sept7014.jpg

And seperated.

th_Sept7015.jpg

Set back in place to check fit. Looks good.

th_Sept7016.jpg

Edited by robiwon

Update time-

I seperated the doors. I painted the panel lines black so I could see them better from underneath. I used a ball cutter in my Dremel to remove material beneath the panel liine. This allowed me to finish the cut with a few swipes of my Xacto blade.

th_sep12011.jpg th_sep12013.jpg

The doors taped together to check for fit. A small filler plate was added to extend the front of the door to make it more "substantial". Also, a bit of photo etched detail added for visual interest.

th_sep12014.jpg th_sep12016.jpg

I'll work on making the actual hinges today. More to come....

Edited by robiwon

Thanks Ed! I knew there had to be more than a few scifi fans here, LOL. The hardest and most nerve wracking was cutting those long clear side windows away from the main windshield. Clear plastic as we all know does not like to be cut very much! It took about 20 minutes of careful, slow scoring to seperate the glass on each side. Build is moving aong and I will have more updates soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Are you correcting the rear cockpit wall and under dash area? The rear wall bends at waist level to include the rear windows. this is the movie prop being built....

blade_construction6.jpg

the under dash area isn't wrong, just cludgey. Oh, and that's an amazing amount of lights. will look impressive in the dark.

Edited by kruleworld

Thanks kruleworld. Yes, there will be extensive mods to the entrior. I will be adding a photoetched set that replaces the rear wall and all the console faces. The entiors floor has already been removed and new seat brackets are being fabbed up at the moment. The lighting has been changed as well. The 1.8mm LEDs have been dumped in favor of all SMT LEDs and a custom board to power them. It was (the cicruit board) actually made for the Jupiter 2 as the Fusion Core. The maker of this board reprogrammed the board to flash all the light randomly for me. At no charge!

Here are some updates. I will post a short video today of a test of the new lights.

Details added to the inner door panles, including pull handles.

th_sept16016-1.jpg th_sept16015-1.jpg

Hinges complete. Doors are held open by small Rare Eart magnets.

th_sept15013.jpg th_sept15012.jpg

Doors in action!

th_sept15033.jpg

Main insturment pod moddified. Clear sections added that will be lit from underneath with a yellow LED.

th_sept17th014.jpg th_sept17th015.jpg

This is the circuit board that will power all the flashing lights.

th_sept19017.jpg

Fits nicely in the rear.

th_Sept29017.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys. It is a great kit and one of my all time favorite scifi cars and movies. It is expensive but I got mine at Wonderfest for $60. It was better than paying $80+ elsewhere. Would a Moderator be able to move the whole thread back for me?

Michigan Madman, are you in Michigan? I lived in the Pontiac/Waterford area for most of my life before moving to KY 7 years ago. I'll actually be in Mich this weekend moving a friend to up there.

Futurbat, I agree with the lights. When I heard about this kit that was my first thought, lighting it! Then a saw a Japanese blogger build one with hinged doors. I knew I had to do the same to mine.