Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilding 'Blank' Wheels

You'll need:

Dremel

2 to 3mm styrene rectangle rod OR 2 to 3mm styrene sheet (I didnt have that hence the rod)

Sanding sticks/paper

Glue

Blade

Grinding/engraving bits that come with Dremels

Sheet styrene .5mm or slightly smaller

Spare Tyre

Sanding-Drum Dremel bit

1_zpsef410f21.jpg

Cut a strip of .5mm or smaller sheet styrene. Cut it quite long incase of any mistakes (I made plenty of its too short practicing this). Cut the strip as wide as the tyre you're using.

2_zps7bbaf759.jpg

Curl your strip of styrene around your hobby knife handle from both ends a few times, it help the strip of sheet styrene to keep its curve.

3_zps942fd5fb.jpg

Curly whirl-y!

4_zpsdc80974a.jpg

Test fit it in the tyre and chop off the excess to make a since ring of strip styrene, and glue the ends together on the inside while it's in the tyre.

5_zpsc10883d6.jpg

Once the glue has dried pull out the rim about a third of the way and put some glue on the outside of the rim, repeat for both sides.

6_zpse9177d50.jpg

Cut a much thinner strip to set the deepness of the wheel, Mine will be quite deep-dish so the thin strip is glued almost all the way around towards the back of the rim. Use plenty of glue, it helps with the rigidity of the rim.

7_zps60d32a04.jpg

You can see here I left a gap because I cut the strip too short, silly me!

8_zpsce552e5e.jpg

*Only do this part if you have no 2 to 3mm SHEET styrene*

Cut some lengths of the rectangular rod and a piece of sheet styrene to glue it on to.

\9_zpsddc62687.jpg

This will make up the center of your wheel, so make sure there's enough rectangle rod to fill the rim.

10_zpsa0c7ae4a.jpg

Glue the rectangle rod to the piece of sheet styrene with plenty of glue, let dry. Drill a hole that the screw of your sanding-drum bit will fit into in the center.

11_zpscda274c4.jpg

Miunt it on your sanding-drum bit like so and put on your safety goggles 'cause we're gonna make a big mess!

12_zps7a472441.jpg

(CAREFULLY) Using a blade or whatever works best for you, lop off the corners then start sanding it down to a perfect circle shape.

13_zpsefe164af.jpg

Sand and test it until it fits snugly in the rim you made.

14_zps36c7ef56.jpg

See how it's flat? Boring! Make some more mess...

15_zpsdd0733f4.jpg

... To shape the face of the rim-center! I've found tools like there help a bit, using them to 'machine' the front surface of the rim-center. Blades work too, but theyre pretty dangerous.

16_zps15a9095c.jpg

Use those tools and sandpaper/sticks to make the shapes you want, this one's a concave shape.

17_zpscb4d2a7f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...